View Diary: Newtown-Take of an Award-winning Canadian journalist who has covered many trials for heinous crimes (16 comments)

•  This tragedy is mere days old (5+ / 0-)

and some sensationalist wants to do a psych evaluation with zero input other than her having covered sensational murders by teens?

I live in Connecticut.  We honestly don't need this crap from Canada right now -- we have enough home grown shite already.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:24:10 PM PST

•  I couldn't agree more. (3+ / 0-)
      gchaucer2, Jack K, Neuroptimalian

If the diarist has any decency, he should delete this posthaste.

Christie Blatchford sounds like a mindless and heartless woman if this quote is any indication.  The sheer number of assholes trying to cash in and make pundit money off this is revolting.

"Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex." - David Frum

by Glinda on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:35:50 PM PST

•  Sorry.Her point is based a USA book written (1+ / 0-)
      blueoasis

after Columbine. She is a very serious journalist and I am never afraid to read another point of view and consider whether there is anything in it. I see the third commenter below thinks there may be something to it. So do those  who have recommended the diary. I can fully appreciate the grief in Connecticut.

It has happened here too, in schools and universities. A similar shooting of 16 at a Montreal college in 1989 led to even stricter gun registry laws here, recently undone by our new majority Conservative government.

We ache for those affected, in any way, every time we see this happen.

"...stories of past courage can define that ingredient..... But they cannot supply courage itself. For this each man must look into his own soul." JFK Profiles in Courage " Ontario

by ontario on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 08:58:19 PM PST

•  Sorry. Her observations are speculative at (1+ / 0-)
        Neuroptimalian

best but look mostly like an effort to be a player in the eventual and inevitable punditry game.  I truly don't care to go to the link, because the block quote demonstrates that she has nothing to add to the painful conversation...

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile..." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

by Jack K on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:22:26 PM PST

•  And the politicians intruding ... (0+ / 0-)

upon the EXTREME grief being experienced by the affected families is extremely offensive as well.  Go home, lowlifes!  You can get your pictures in the papers when you do something worthy of mention.  Until then, stop feeding off the grief of others when it has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:34:47 PM PST

•  Her column is based on another person's book, (0+ / 0-)

you should not shoot the messenger. They are not her observations. The block quote I included is Blatchford qouting from that book, not her words. If there is a disagreement, it is with the person who wrote it:We Need to Talk About Kevin, written by Lionel Shriver.

Blatchford uses the book merely to get to her point about infamy vs earned fame.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/...

by ontario on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:48:26 PM PST

•  actually (1+ / 0-)
      Jack K

We have some very fine journalists in Canada. Some of them have been writing some very good articles around this tragedy.

In saying that. Blatchford IS NOT one of them.

Shes a warhawk and an apologist for the far right.

Hateful woman, who writes for an awful paper.

Fuddle Duddle--- Pierre Trudeau.... Canadian politics at......A Creative Revolution

by pale cold on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:05:01 PM PST

•  She's not my absolute favourite either, but (0+ / 0-)

this column is based on an idea from another author and she uses that book as the basis for her column. In that sense her column is a book review. I think the idea from the book, easier today to achieve instant infamy than earned fame, bears some thought in all of this. I did say it was a different take.

by ontario on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:19:42 PM PST

•  I always go with reputable (0+ / 0-)

people to present ideas.

And just saying, she will also be saying and writing anything to protect the angle of the Harper Conservatives.
          Your diary. I just feel the need to explain to people here that she is an ideologue.
          Serious journalist Is a matter of opinion. The far right adores her.

It's like posting an article by Bill OReily. There is always an angle.

by pale cold on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:27:47 PM PST

•  I agree with much of what your say, (0+ / 0-)

yes rightwing, Harperite. But I think you would have to admit she did a very fine job of reporting the very difficult disappearance of Tori Stafford, her killing and the trial. Likewise with the killings by Russell Williams and his trial, her reporting from Afghanistan and her subsequent book which won a Governor-General's award. As I have said in other places, I am not afraid to consider something I have not thought of, and try to see if I am able to learn from it. I think I picked up something to think about, from the original author's idea used in this column.

by ontario on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:40:25 PM PST

•  So let's not promote someone ... (0+ / 0-)

who's ALSO achieving instant infamy rather than earning fame, eh?

by Neuroptimalian on Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 09:36:39 PM PST

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Law (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (18)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Memorial Day (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site