View Diary: The Gun Culture vs. The Fear Culture (102 comments)

•  Ciao, y'all. (1+ / 0-)
    Em

With trollery like this, why bother reading?

Off to a saner discussion.

(-7.62,-7.33) l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 02:07:54 PM PST

•  Ain't it the truth! (1+ / 0-)
      argomd

Meh! Makes me appreciate by contrast how vibrant, interesting, good-spirited/good-faith, intelligent, and generally awesome discussion is here generally!

The good news is that it really feels like a turning point on the gun discussion. Even the intellectual emptiness and lack of salience of the emergent trollish ones is a sign that they got nuthin'!

•  A statement of basic fact isn't 'trolling' (0+ / 0-)

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:12:04 PM PST

•  It's all in the delivery, son. (0+ / 0-)

Ad hominem attacks, sarcasm, and dogged repetition don't usually work as well as one might think.  If you'd spent much time here, you'd have seen how judicious folks deal with strongly-held but minority opinions.

Making your arguments stick needs some degree of understanding your audience.  Don't you agree?

You may indeed see your arguments as facts, and I found several valid points throughout that thread.  Sadly, though, what is fact to you is apparently seen as unsupported opinion by others.  "Evidence!"  says the scientist.  "I want evidence!"

(at least that's the view of an ol' fart and relatively dispassionate scientist)

(-7.62,-7.33) l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 08:35:41 PM PST

•  Very well. (0+ / 0-)

1)What 'ad hominem'. Quote me.
          2) What is the evidence that you seek? I will be glad to accommodate you.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 11:24:28 PM PST

•  Don't wanna fight. Other issues boiling just now. (0+ / 0-)

Don't enjoy engaging in pissing contests, particularly when they're more semantic than substantive.

Peace?

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:54:53 PM PST

•  You bet (0+ / 0-)

I really don't think of it as a 'pissing contest', but I do engage those whom disagree with me far more often than those I do agree with.
              I can see how a person could mistake that as 'combative' or a 'pissing contest', however I find far more use out of engaging those I disagree with....but I realize that isn't everybody's cup of tea,
              Thanks for the civility.

.......and I really don't believe I ever used an ad hominen (sorry, 'new tricks' 'old dog' and all that) ;)

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 01:52:48 PM PST

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

Greatly appreciate your forgiving me for going beyond my own definition of courtesy.

I'll be more mindful and careful next time.

--bc

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:16:25 AM PST

•  'forgiving', 'mindful', 'careful' (0+ / 0-)

Geeez, its not like you fucked my wife, or shot my dog. There is no need to 'forgive' nor to be 'more mindful and careful'. If you disagree with something I say, or if you simply feel the need, just let 'er rip!
                  Is that not what the internet and talking politics are both for?

On a side note, you are either the most classy, or the most passive-agressive person I have ever conversed with.
                  In either case consider me respectfully impressed and somewhat intimidated.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 11:53:34 AM PST

•  Cheese! I don't think I'm P-A... (0+ / 0-)

but it's hard to tell.  Only see humans 2-3 times a month.

Like I said, I'm an ol' fart, so I grew up before electric typewriters and related rapid communication devices.  And taught 300+ undergrads at a time.  Try being passive with footballs being thrown at you from the peanut gallery (by the varsity QB, no less!).   That changes one's response time markedly.  Probably changed some actual responses, too, but who's counting?

And I've never claimed (or wanted) to be classy, though  someone suggested I should act that way after I was verbally eviscerated on DK months ago.  So that must mean -- oh, no!   I did ask him to throw that football, as I recall....

Take good care of you and yours, and thanks for your time and good humor.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:05:04 PM PST

•  You sneaky and/or frightening sonuvabitch. (0+ / 0-)

Teach me your ways.
                      Top notch, friend. Top fucking notch.

"varsity QB"
                      What school? I just gotta know.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 05:34:15 PM PST

•  UNM (0+ / 0-)

University of New Mexico (in Albuquerque).

The old joke is "spell Albuquerque exactly how it sounds." No one laughs.

That football broke one of the slate blackboards just behind me in the lecture hall.  All 300+ students went suddenly silent.  I walked up the long stairway to the back row, walked over and stood right in front of the thrower for a few seconds, then shook his hand.  Class roared.  Back then I even had good timing.   The stroke took everything.

But that young man did have a good arm.  Shame we seldom beat UTEP in all my time there.  Occasionally beat out NM State.  Like two old drunks trying to have a fist fight.

Has the world ended yet?  Wasn't that supposed to happen this morning?

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 09:42:51 AM PST