View Diary: Harry Reid calls for action (98 comments)

•  I think all (1+ / 0-)
    Mogolori

businesses, sites, etc.) should be responsible for their ads.  It is only a layer of non-responsibility that we allow them to duck behind.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 12:17:23 PM PST

•  Agree. But cognizant of the fact that Daily Kos (4+ / 0-)
      leu2500, Tamar, DRo, phrogge prince

doesn't control what Ad Choice distributes, I sent the following letter to Ms. Caamano:

Hello,  Ms. Acaamano:

In my morning reading of blogs and news sites today, I have seen several
      ads placed by Ad Choices from the National Rifle Association for their
      annual Christmas cards.  My understanding is that these blogs and news
      sites don't really have much say as to whose advertising Ad Choices'
      algorithm selects for publication, so I was wondering whether -- out of
      respect for the victims and their families in Newtown, CT -- Ad Choices
      would consider suspending these advertisements.

Your reply would be most appreciated, and I wish you and yours well
      during this bittersweet holiday season.

Yours,

"And now we know that government by organized money is just as dangerous as government by organized mob." -- FDR

by Mogolori on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 12:29:09 PM PST

•  Nice letter. (1+ / 0-)
        Mogolori

But my point is that 'doesn't control' is an excuse we have allowed to become common.  It shouldn't be.

If I own some property I might put up a sign or allow someone to put up a sign on my land; but I surely would not allow someone the right to change the signs displayed on my land -to anything the wanted- without my permission.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 12:46:26 PM PST

•  Agree. (1+ / 0-)
          DRo

This site deserves an answer from Ad Choices, and I hope to get one privately as a trusted user.  If that answer is "no, we will not suspend", then I hope the proprietors of this site will suspend the relationship.  If the proprietors decided to suspend the relationship in advance, I think that would be a stronger statement, but that's not under my control.

by Mogolori on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 12:54:24 PM PST

•  With enough protest (1+ / 0-)
            Mogolori

Ad Choices and similar would be forced to offer ads that gave the site some control.

That should have happened from the get-go, but here we are.  Maybe we can achieve some 'control'.  ;-)

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 at 01:00:30 PM PST

•  DRo - this is a call for Kos, not us (1+ / 0-)
          DRo

It has been Kos' historical view that any bans on advertising gives those who do advertise some "approval" status. I think he is right and respect his decision to welcome all ads that help him pay the bills.

"let's talk about that"