View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: Twelve Months of Best Books (114 comments)

•  78 (10+ / 0-)

I tried to list my Top 5 Reads; then I had to list 5 runners up because that proved unsatisfactory.  Then I found myself making a Second Top 5 List, which required its own honorable mention list.  And so it goes.

It's been a very good year for books.

I'm closing 2012 out with these final selections:

Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
    The Good Muslim by Tahmima Anam
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
    Daniel by Henning Mankell
    The Stranger’s Child by Alan Hollinghurst (audio fiction)

Plus, LimeSpouse and I are about half through our read aloud, Mater and Commander by Patrick O'Brian.  We purchased the complete works box set and plan to read our way through it before we keel over.

Admittedly, there are some toads among the treasures I read this year, but I won't mention them.

Readers & Book Lovers Pull up a chair! You're never too old to be a Meta Groupie

by Limelite on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 07:52:30 PM PST

•  I am glad you had a great reading year, too (8+ / 0-)

I like the term "toads among the treasures".  :)

Hubby even remembered last night when we used to read to each other before bed.

I think that is cool that you still do.

Brecht is looking for people to do some diaries for bookgirl's slot.  Some of yours would be great.

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 07:59:12 PM PST

•  Yeah, I PM'ed Him to Pencil Me in (6+ / 0-)

for January 8th.  How 'bout you?   ;^)

by Limelite on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:09:10 PM PST

•  It is too close to Bookflurries' day (4+ / 0-)

and I am not good with contemporary fiction.

Have you read The Innocent by McEwan?  It looked good.  I am debating.

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:12:56 PM PST

•  Nope. But I'll Tell You What (6+ / 0-)

I could only read Enduring Love in snatches as the subject is psychotic homosexual stalking and the tension kept ratcheting up.  Reality based horror that quietly builds from a relatively insignificant incident in logical little steps that seem inconsequential on the surface but together create an avalanche of destructive consequence is far more thrilling to me than any vampire, or guns blazing type terrorizing novel is.

And I can't take it in one fell swoop.

What's the blurb on The Innocent?  From what I know of Enduring Love, I'll bet the title is foreboding no good.

by Limelite on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:27:12 PM PST

•  You would be right (5+ / 0-)

Overview

Leonard Marnham is assigned to a British-American surveillance team in Cold War Berlin. His intelligence work—tunneling under a Russian communications center to tap the phone lines to Moscow—offers him a welcome opportunity to begin shedding his own unwanted innocence, even if he is only a bit player in a grim international comedy of errors.

Leonard's relationship with Maria Eckdorf, an enigmatic and beautiful West Berliner, likewise promises to loosen the bonds of his ordinary life. But the promise turns to horror in the course of one terrible evening—a night when Leonard Marnham learns just how much of his innocence he's willing to shed.

I agree with this thought in several books:

And I can't take it in one fell swoop.
              and this is true for me, too:

Not sure if I will try it or not.

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:38:36 PM PST

•  Thanks for your fine teamwork, cfk. (3+ / 0-)
        cfk, shari, Limelite

I thought I'd be adding some scintillating conversation to your diary, but I'm pretty pooped after a day's travel.

Well done on reading so many books, though. And congratulations on this: "I did get rid of a few."

I should go to bed now. But the cat in my lap looks so comfortable, and is comfortable too, nice and warm.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson

by Brecht on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:44:45 PM PST

•  I am glad you could come by (2+ / 0-)
          Brecht, Limelite

and I agree about a warm cat being a comfort.  :)

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:46:22 PM PST

•  Now she's jumped off my lap, and is sitting among (2+ / 0-)
            cfk, Limelite

the presents. She likes attacking the paper. But she is looking very innocent, while I'm in the room.

That's my cue for bed. You have a good night, sweet cfk.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth" Samuel Johnson