View Diary: "Your Papers Please".... Comes to America (133 comments)

•  More guns = bad??? (1+ / 0-)
    tikkun

From the diary:

Let's look at the Gun argument... The NRA and their conservative allies are so fearful that they think everyone should be armed. Think of the chaos and mayhem that would result from everyone having the ability to use deadly force to solve even a minimum of problems.
    Does this mean that you advocate for fewer guns floating around in the USA instead of more?

Celtic Merlin
    Carlinist

Struggle with dignity against injustice. IS there anything more honorable that a person can do?

by Celtic Merlin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:23:39 PM PST

•  Yes Merlin... I do advocate for (7+ / 0-)

fewer guns and stricter gun control. What would lead you to believe anything else?

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 04:46:15 PM PST

•  Then why not set a good example? (0+ / 1-)
        Hidden by:
        Mets102

Avoid hypocrisy at the same time!

Give up your own gun.

C M
        C

by Celtic Merlin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 05:37:30 PM PST

•  There is no hypocrisy there (5+ / 0-)

It's the position of many gun owners that guns need to be more tightly regulated all around. Some would also argue for a reduction in the 200,000,000 guns in this country, particularly for those who have in excess of 40 or so.

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 08:35:20 PM PST

•  Um. (6+ / 0-)

Where, exactly, is the hypocrisy in being a gun owner who supports strict gun laws?  Following your link, I read this:

It is NOT the time to take knee jerk reactions. It is the time to discuss serious ways to control firearms in this country - note that I said CONTROL, not BAN.
          Emphasis added to draw attention to the part where volleyboy1 isn't being a hypocrite on this issue.  Advocating for fewer guns is not the same thing as advocating for no guns.

"If Mitt takes office, sooner or later, the Zomnies will come for all of us." -Joss Whedon

by quillsinister on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 08:46:57 PM PST

•  I knew you would say something Dumb (3+ / 0-)

I just think it would be this dumb......

Merlin, I make no effort to hide my Gun Ownership. But just because I own a gun doesn't mean I don't believe in strict controls, classes and tight regulations. Because I believe in all of those things.

I would love to see less guns on Americas streets. I see no contradiction in wishing for that and owning a firearm.

Now go troll somewhere else.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 09:48:34 PM PST

•  This isn't trolling. (0+ / 1-)
            Hidden by:
            Mets102

But you knew that.

Disagreement isn't trolling.  Pointing out hypocrisy isn't trolling.  Telling you to live up to your own words isn't trolling.

But you knew that.

You claim to "advocate for fewer guns" (your own words), but it seems that you "advocate for fewer guns" for everybody but Volleyboy1.

You talk the talk, but won't walk the walk.  You claim to be a Progressive but won't part with your firearm.  This has nothing to do with anything else politically.  This has to do with you loving your gun so much that you refuse to part with it, but you're still trying to tell folks here how much you agree with them about eliminating our gun problem in this country.  You're a hypocrite.  As soon as I showed you to be so, you suddenly "qualified" your position.

Oh, now you're not for ALL guns being limited, just other folks quantities.  Limits on the number of guns one person can own (a number that won't effect you) and no guns on the streets.  On the streets, sure, but not the one in your own hand.  THAT gun has to stay right where it is.

If you really want fewer guns, show it.  Man up to your own words.  Start by destroying the one you own.  Show that you mean what you say and that you aren't writing this diary to try to suck up on Tips and Recs.  Go ahead - turn it in to have it destroyed.

You're so fearful that you want YOU to be armed.  Why shouldn't others get on out there and grab themselves some shootin' irons?  You have one.  Let's get each and every one of your neighbors one - no, THREE!
            Let's try that again . . .
            Think of the chaos and mayhem that would result from Volleyboy1 having the ability to use deadly force to solve even a minimum of problems.
            When that one little change is made, it kinda sticks where it shouldn't - doesn't it?  For if guns give people "the ability to use deadly force to solve even a minimum of problems" and you're a "people" just like every other American, then you're packing this same chaotic potential as anybody else would.  Because you're no better than the rest of America, Volleyboy1.  Really - you aren't.  You have the potential to be just as destructive and harmful as any other gun owner.  You just won't admit it.  Not to me and not to yourself and not to the rest of this Progressive blog.

You see, the problem I have is with people like you - not just you (Don't claim to be persecuted by me again - it's a lie.).  There are others here on DKos just like you - who want to hang out on the leftist political boards so they can tell themselves that they're SO Progressive on things - but won't live the life.  You pick your issues here and there, but won't actually BE a Progressive.  You try to tell yourself that the gun problem in this country has nothing to do with the hand-cannon or long barrel that YOU own - certainly NOT!  The gun problem in America exists because of all those OTHER gun owners.  Their guns are the problem, not your gun.

You can't see that the problem is caused by each and every one of you.  The guy who shot Gabby Giffords owned, I believe, only the one gun.  He certainly HAD only one gun on him when he shot all those people.  The asshole who murdered a score of children and a half dozen of their teachers used only one gun on them all - his mother's Bushmaster.  He seems to have saved the Sig Sauer for use on himself.

It only TAKES one gun, Volleyboy1.  Just like your gun.  But of all the guns in America that could be a danger to people, YOURS is "the one and only" that isn't.

[The author pauses for an eye-roll.]

Catching one of you gunners being hypocritical was fun.  I'm certain that there will be others.  Just as I'm certain that you'll do this again on this or (probably) other issues.

You can't help yourselves.

Now please - go have that thing destroyed before somebody gets hurt with it.

C M
            C

by Celtic Merlin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 01:07:00 AM PST

•  Do you think there should be restrictions on (1+ / 0-)
              volleyboy1

owning and operating a motor vehicle?

When banjos are outlawed, only outlaws will have banjos.

by Bisbonian on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 06:32:05 AM PST

•  It is not "hypocrisy" to own (3+ / 0-)
              volleyboy1, sfbob, Mets102

a gun and to support restrictions.  To most people, they are not mutually exclusive.  They are only exclusive to those who have a personal feud with the diarist.

•  Yep pretty much... and notice he has (1+ / 0-)
                Mets102

actually not addressed the main issue of the diary nor even any of the secondary ones. This is simply a pathetic, and weak attack because really he has nothing.

It's sad... But what can one do.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:08:51 AM PST

•  Yes... Yes this is trolling (1+ / 0-)
              Mets102

First of all this diary is about a gross violation of civil rights attempted by the police of Paragould, AR NOT about a example in which I decried people being so fearful that they would consent to a solution that makes the problem worse.

Second of all, You clearly don't know the meaning of the word hypocrisy. I never called for a gun ban. Never. I have and will always continue to call for strict regulations around owning a gun. It is my hope that these strict controls would take guns off the streets and away from those who are not up to the responsibility of owning a gun.

The rest of your little screed is just insult after insult insinuating that I am not a responsible gun owner nor a "good" progressive. It's silliness Merlin.

Now go play under a bridge somewhere and stop trolling this diary.

Shoo... Go Away. Go on... Get moving....

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:06:59 AM PST

•  Once again, I smell the massive shit you've taken (1+ / 0-)
              volleyboy1

in volley's living room all the way here in New York.  Have another donut.

Enacting our agenda requires winning elections. Oh, and me on Facebook and Twitter.

by Mets102 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 03:15:25 PM PST

•  "More gun control" doesn't mean"ban them (6+ / 0-)

all".

I know that's an argument gun fetishists like to pretend is the one being made. But it's just not.

I own a single firearm, pump-action shotgun with a 5-shell capacity. I wouldn't advocate banning that shotgun. I wouldn't advocate banning small-capacity cartridge rifles and other similar small capacity, non-automatic (fully- or semi-) weapons, either.

But I sure would advocate outright bans on semi-automatic rifles, pistols, and on magazines or cartridges that allowed for more than 3-5 shots to be available before a reload is required. That's across the board and with few situation-based exceptions.

That doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes me responsive to empirical data from other countries which suggests that those with strict gun control laws have far fewer gun-related deaths and other incidents per capita than America. In other words, it makes me responsive to fact-based reality. And it does so in a way that still allows for private ownership of firearms, so the 2nd amendment is preserved.

•  Stop being a dick... (1+ / 0-)
          volleyboy1

I smell the massive shit you've just taken in volley's living room here in New York.  Have a donut for it.

by Mets102 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 03:13:42 PM PST

•  It's amazing that he has done this... (1+ / 0-)
            Mets102

In a diary about a massive civil rights violation being planned by the police and City of Paragould, Arkansas... This yahoo only thinks to crap on my lawn about my stand on Gun Control.

THEN the moron has the audacity to say:

As soon as I showed you to be so, you suddenly "qualified" your position.
            What a dip.

If the guy had actually read this diary I wrote following the Aurora shooting in July that started with these two paragraphs:

PERSONAL NOTE: I am a gun owner. I own a Glock 17 9mm pistol. I enjoy target shooting and recently I took a class in Tactical Point Shooting (which is learning techniques regarding safety and shooting in an urban environment including dealing with hostage situations, anti-terrorism and other things). I plan to take another more advanced class later in the year.

All this said, I am also in favor of extremely strict Gun Control Laws. I am completely in favor of a ten-day waiting period (and actually would make it 30 days if up to me). I also think that people should have to take a general licensing class (like getting a drivers license) to handle a deadly weapon. If anything, my shooting class taught me just how much I didn't know and just how lethal a weapon like a gun can be.

WHOOPS... I guess "trollboy" missed that one.

What a joke.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 03:23:30 PM PST