View Diary: Republicans offer wide array of reasons for inaction after Sandy Hook massacre (114 comments)

•  It's a silly regulation (1+ / 0-)
    cany

Watch the first six seconds of this:

I count 18 shots, including 2 reloads, in 6 seconds. Trying to regulate magazine size is stupid. It does nothing, and wastes energy when we can be talking about something that might make an impact. Give this one up.

It's not 11th dimensional chess; it's just chess. And he's KICKING YOUR ASS.

by pneuma on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:24:13 AM PST

•  So (1+ / 0-)
      cany

You link me to a video for what's he say "Police and military ..."

Note: He didn't say civilian use.

If you outlaw them then you can't walk into Walmart and pick them on the weekend.

Are you guys stupid?  No, you're liars.  And you don't give a shit that we're being terrorized.

It's just like after Bin Laden, "There's nothing we will do about it"

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:27:03 AM PST

•  It's a fair question, this: (1+ / 0-)
        Vetwife
        Are you guys stupid?

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:39:44 AM PST

•  You completely missed the point (0+ / 0-)

If I can use a six round magazine, and I can fire 18 shots in 6 seconds, what possible benefit can you imagine that preventing me from having a twelve round magazine will have? Instead of 18 shots in 5 seconds, it will take 6?

Trying to limit magazine size is stupid. Even if you win, you've accomplished very little.

Talking about mandatory gun education, or stricter licensing, or stiffer penalties for allowing a minor or mentally ill persons access to a firearm - all of these things might do some good. Limiting clips to 6 rounds does nothing, and spends political capital that we could use for other things. Drop it.

It's not 11th dimensional chess; it's just chess. And he's KICKING YOUR ASS.

by pneuma on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:43:02 AM PST

•  Bull shit (0+ / 0-)

The weapon used in the most recent rampage had clips of 30 rounds.  The asshole in CO had a drum of 100.

In addition, guns need to be licensed far more strictly and owners need to carry mandatory insurance.  Just like car.

That too.  Not dropping a fucking thing.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:46:14 AM PST

•  Let's examine that (0+ / 0-)

At the rate we see in the video, I could discharge 30 rounds in 10 seconds, reloading 4 times. Let's, for the sake of argument, say that reloading cost me 1 second every time. By outlawing that 30 round clip, you would have cost me 4 seconds. I'm sure that would have meant a material difference.

Licensing guns far more strictly? Hell yes. Mandatory insurance? Not sure what for, but sure, raise economic barriers to ownership. Fine with that. Those might do some good. But if I was sitting across the table from you, I'd be gleeful that you cared about something so trivial- I'll be able to extract all kinds of concessions from you to give you a smaller clip size. It's a losing position.

It's not 11th dimensional chess; it's just chess. And he's KICKING YOUR ASS.

by pneuma on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:57:46 AM PST

•  Let's just say (0+ / 0-)

You pulled it all of your ass, because (metaphorically) that's what you did.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:00:32 PM PST

•  Whut? (0+ / 0-)

Talk about conforming to stereotypes.

Good day.

It's not 11th dimensional chess; it's just chess. And he's KICKING YOUR ASS.

by pneuma on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:15:17 PM PST

•  Who needs that type of gun? Answer that (0+ / 0-)

question please.   Who in the hell is such a coward or wimp that killing something isn't enough but shredding it to bits is?  What kind of human needs that?

I had a man break in on me in 1975 , put a pillow over my head while I was sleeping.  I have no doubt when I reached for a vase had I been reaching for a weapon he would have grabbed it and killed me.  I am still here.
                  I would have been lawful in shooting his ass.  I am very glad I had more faith than fear .    I am glad  neither of us had guns.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 04:13:28 PM PST

•  That's the point I'm trying to make (0+ / 0-)

There is very little material difference between a very military looking "assault" weapon and a hunting rifle - there are videos out there that show the transformation of the same gun from one to the other by swapping out the stocks. You can't talk about banning "assault weapons" without talking about banning almost all weapons. You can talk about banning "large capacity clips", but the videos I've posted show that reloading a weapon is a fast process, and that won't really work to prevent mass shootings. Remember: 18 rounds in 6 seconds, reloading twice.

I think we should be smart, and accept that banning guns altogether is not feasible in the current political climate (just like the right should accept the same about abortion). We should target our efforts at reducing gun violence on things that have a chance at succeeding. We can have a lot of impact if we target our efforts at the right places, rather than expending our energy fruitlessly.

It's not 11th dimensional chess; it's just chess. And he's KICKING YOUR ASS.

by pneuma on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 06:14:37 PM PST

•  Well I must be a complete outcast politically (0+ / 0-)

because...the truth is.. I wish there were no guns..period.   I wish people would get their minds straight and I wish children could be children and people were not targets for violence.   No gun, or knife or anything else has ever made me safe.  The police arrive too late....the drunk driver usually kills, the shooter kills and there is too damn much war and brainwarp.

by Vetwife on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 12:00:14 AM PST

•  No, I think your sentiment is very common (0+ / 0-)

Especially amongst women on the left. My wife feels the same way. I don't. There are not enough of you out there to get what you want. There are enough people like me willing to support things that would reduce gun violence - but if we are going to start the conversation with "no guns, period"  - well, the conversation will be short.

It's not 11th dimensional chess; it's just chess. And he's KICKING YOUR ASS.

by pneuma on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:56:52 AM PST