View Diary: Big pharma to blame as much as assault weapons (72 comments)

•  Celexa (3+ / 0-)
    ltsply2, stunzeed, gramofsam1

Helped me through a crisis.  I was on it for a short period of time.  It's been years since I took this drug and I am grateful for the help that it provided.  I never made it to the "therapeutic dose" as that dosage was too much for me.  The small dosage was just the right amount.

•  You may have something there (0+ / 0-)

Perhaps they're safe up to a point.  But we apparently don't know the point.  Or perhaps the point varies by the individual, but we don't know which factors turn it from a help to a hindrance.

The Hippocratic Oath says "do no harm".  Hard to justify a drug that comes with a warning that it may cause suicidal thoughts and has been found legally at fault in suicides (Prozac).

If we want to stop school shootings it appears that we should put these drugs back on the shelf until we know more about how to use them.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:31:44 AM PST

•  If you're applying the (3+ / 0-)
        stunzeed, DMLjohn, Roadbed Guy

"do no harm" test to every drug, you'd have to pretty much rule out everything from aspirin to chemo.  Check the side effects handout for any drug- they're rifle with possibilities, often including death.

•  Heh- should say rife, not rifle. (0+ / 0-)

Paging Dr. Freud.

•  That's a very Freudina slip, (1+ / 0-)
            gramofsam1

considering the topic under discussion.

Your point is totally spot on. I was diagnosed with acute kidney failure earlier this year. The cause was ibuprofen, which I took for arthritic pain. When combined with my blood pressure meds, ibuprofen turned out to be potentially fatal for me. Now I am forbidden to use any NSAID including aspirin.

Here's my take on it - the revolution will not be blogged, it has to be slogged. - Deoliver47

by OIL GUY on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:33:25 PM PST

•  This diary is borderline conspiracy (4+ / 0-)
        stunzeed, DMLjohn, Roadbed Guy, gramofsam1

theory nonsense.

First, school shootings didn't start in 1988. The massacre at the University of Texas took place in 1967. There is a sadly long history of such incidents before and since.

Second, if any of the school shooters were taking an SSRI, it would have shown up on autopsy, and there would have been a hell of a lot of lawsuits. We would know all about it.

Can you site one case were it was confirmed that the shooter was on one of these medications. They can worsen depression and suicidal ideation in rare instances. That's why they put the warning on the pill bottle. The FDA wouldn't leave them on the market if there was evidence that these drugs caused harm.

I've never taken an SSRI, but I know several people whose life's have been transformed as a result of taking them.

You're making a serious accusation and not offering anything in the way of actual evidence.

by OIL GUY on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:26:14 PM PST

•  Eric Harris (1+ / 0-)
          CroneWit

Wikipedia under Columbine:

In one of his scheduled meetings with his psychiatrist, [Columbine shooter] Eric Harris  complained of depression, anger and possessing suicidal thoughts. As a result, he was prescribed the anti-depressant Zoloft. He complained of feeling restless and having trouble concentrating; in April, his doctor switched him to Luvox, a similar anti-depressant drug.[12] At the time of his death, Harris had therapeutic Luvox levels in his system. Some analysts, such as psychiatrist Peter Breggin, have argued that one or both of these medications may have contributed to Harris's actions. Breggin said that side-effects of these drugs include increased aggression, loss of remorse, depersonalization, and mania.[13] A subsequent study conducted by the Institute for Safe Medication Practices identified Luvox as being 8.4 times more likely than other medications to be associated with violence.[14]
           (emphasis mine)

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 12:56:31 PM PST

•  Great detective work. (1+ / 0-)
            gramofsam1

But its only one among many. Not enough to find a correlation. I'd give more weight to Breggin's argument if he didn't seem to make a career of opposing psychiatric medications. The statistic on Luvox is interesting. I tried to find more info on SMP's website, but the only reference was to the problem of pharmacists reading it as Lasix due to sloppy physician handwriting.

by OIL GUY on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 01:27:03 PM PST

•  Dan White and the Big Hostess Conspiracy (0+ / 0-)

You can find that one on Wikipedia too.  Thankfully, Hostess will no longer be making Twinkies.

I hate these diaries, I really do.

Quote of the week: "They call themselves bipartisan because they're able to buy members of both parties," (R. Eskow, Campaign for America's Future.)

by mbayrob on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 05:38:36 PM PST

• Rescued (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site