View Diary: Open thread for night owls (141 comments)

•  I was sitting outside a Seattle Tully's last year (4+ / 0-)
    cany, Wildthumb, Azazello, Hayate Yagami

when this guy came out of his car sporting cop shades and attitude, with a semi-automatic pistol in a leather holster on his side. For all I knew he was an off-duty cop but aren't they supposed to conceal their weapons when not on the job? His body language said "I mean business so don't fuck with me". I.e. no expression, thousand foot stare, rigid body. Gave me the creeps.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:55:17 PM PST

•  hitman for Peet's or Starbucks /nt (2+ / 0-)
      kovie, Wildthumb

yksitoista ulotteinen presidentin shakki. / tappaa kaikki natsit "Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03) 政治委员, 政委‽ Warning - some snark above ‽

by annieli on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:59:07 PM PST

•  No actually, there's a big movement by open (6+ / 0-)

carry folks to do this in Starbucks locations. I see it all over the carry sites AND if you google starbucks and open carry, you can see pics. Here's a piece from Think Progress.

It's the saloon equiv of the 2000's. They can't do that where I live, thankfully.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:02:12 PM PST

•  I wonder if Starbucks has the right to refuse (4+ / 0-)
        Wildthumb, Miggles, Garrett, grover

them business and ask them to leave. I sure hope so, and if they do, that they invoke it. I would absolutely not want to be in a public place where some creepy insecure cowboy wannabe with anger issues is sitting two tables away from me, silently brooding over those loud kids by the sofa.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:07:12 PM PST

•  Well described. I now have the creeps myself. (2+ / 0-)
          annieli, Garrett

"They come, they come To build a wall between us We know they won't win."--Crowded House, "Don't Dream It's Over."

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:08:54 PM PST

•  their coffee does that to me too /nt (1+ / 0-)
            cany

by annieli on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:13:37 PM PST

•  I've had better coffee, but once you get to know (1+ / 0-)
              Cali Scribe

some local young baristas, as I do, it's comfortable to hang out with them.

Besides, I've wound up at a Starbuck's on a date with my wife, and I've got lots of good memories associated with them.

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:16:18 PM PST

•  In many areas it's the only coffee place around (1+ / 0-)
                Wildthumb

And even where it isn't, since I'm not a big milk-based coffee drink person (and don't like to spend $4 for a coffee), preferring brewed coffee most of the time, Starbucks is usually the only place where they make a half-decent cup. Plus, free refills!

Honestly, I go there when I need a place to work, and only buy the coffee because it would be rude to just sit there.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:23:16 PM PST

•  I buy a grande blond half-caff usually. It costs (1+ / 0-)
                  kovie

under two bucks. And get a free refill. I rarely buy lattes and such anymore. They're the expensive drinks. I haven't had a "four-dollar coffee" in about two years.

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:28:00 PM PST

•  I have a tall green mug that costs around (1+ / 0-)
                    Wildthumb

$1.75 to fill, with free refills. I usually throw in a quarter tip, so it comes out to two bucks. I go there often enough to get a free drink eventually, and always make sure to get the most expensive thing on the menu, nearly $6.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:35:52 PM PST

•  If someone can be refused service... (0+ / 0-)

...for not wearing a shirt, they should be able to refuse service for carrying a gun.

•  Just read a lot of the posts. My values are about (3+ / 0-)
        cany, jan4insight, mightymouse

as different from those gun-packers as they are from
        a Taliban sniper.

by Wildthumb on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:13:53 PM PST

•  Open carry guys do that. (11+ / 0-)

They know they're spooking people and they dig it.

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:15:58 PM PST

•  So they must get off on being unliked assholes (2+ / 0-)
        Azazello, jaywillie

And I bet they walk around feeling resentful about not being liked, without a clue as to why that might be. Resentful men with anger issues out in public packing heat. Yeah, that's not trouble waiting to happen.

I'm also not very big on men wearing cowboy hats indoors. Not dangerous, obviously, unless they're packing up there, but it just seems stupid to me, but I'm probably offending some people here.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:20:36 PM PST

•  I'm an Arizonan, the hats give me no problem. (3+ / 0-)
          kovie, Garrett, mightymouse

On the guns, I'm no psychologist, so I can't pretend to know what goes on in their heads, but I've seen it. Usually it'll be an automatic in a nylon holster, like a cop, and they are surely aware that they are freaking people out.

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:25:41 PM PST

•  Not a major peeve with the hats (1+ / 0-)
            Azazello

It's just that I don't get it. Hats are functional attire that serve no real purpose indoors. But then that could be said of ties, which serve no purpose anywhere.

Of course, I hate ties. :-)

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777