View Diary: I was a victim of gun violence just this morning. (95 comments)

•  cacamp: didn't you know? It's OK to hate the South (10+ / 0-)

and especially good to hate Texas and Texans here at DKos.
    The last sentence in this diary is just another bow on that package.

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:22:50 PM PST

•  I lived 20 years in Texas. I don't hate it. (4+ / 0-)
      suesue, Cordyc, fhcec, Otteray Scribe

I just don't recognize it anymore.

Get your goddamned guns out of my church. This means you.

by commonmass on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 10:06:16 PM PST

•  commonmass: remember Ann Richards and (4+ / 0-)

Jim Hightower?

We're trying to get it back to that good.

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 10:32:07 PM PST

•  I do indeed, and Barbara Jordan, too. (4+ / 0-)

Hell, I MET Barbara Jordan.

Look. I tried to move back to Texas a couple of years ago. I didn't recognize it. I met some great Kossacks in the process, too, including mjbleo and others (though I was staying up in Austin with my brother, and his wife, and my mother, and his bi-racial kids).

I came of age in Texas. I LOVE Texas. I KNOW Texas, even though I'm a carpetbagger from New England. Texas, for me, was an exposure to something much bigger than Boston. I took it in. My particular fondness for Houston seems to be nearly unmatched, because apparently NO ONE loves Houston. But I do, and I know it like the back of my hand.

I voted for Ann Richards, thank you very much. I was also a precinct captain.

I'm a very old 43, soon to be 44. I want to live in a place that embraces me. Maine is doing that. Texas rejects me. I never knew that until I went back, and saw how very much Texas has changed. They don't want me there. I don't want to be there. I want to live out the last third of my life in a place where fighting for my rights actually benefits me.

I weep for Texas, and miss it very much. I wasn't born there, but I love it. It's just not my job any more.

Get your goddamned guns out of my church. This means you.

by commonmass on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 10:43:30 PM PST

•  I was born here, 53 years ago. (5+ / 0-)

I'm trying to stop the idiots from ruining it even more. Not getting paid a dime for sweating blood, but ... yeah. It's still my job though, even when the best I can manage is not to give up. I've met Jim Hightower, and Roger Staubach, and liked 'em both. Met w, too. He made my back teeth itch.

I love Houston too, based on a grand total of twelve days' and nine nights' acquaintance ... spread over, lemme see, seven years, must be, now.  There's a flippin' OCEAN out there! With beaches, and dolphins in the bay you can watch for free off the Galveston ferries (so much cooler than down at Padre Island!) and JSC/NASA, and ...   a ton of Texas history, that big white stone statue of Sam Houston threatening to walk out in front of you on the Interstate coming in from Huntsville, the pine trees taller than B-52D tail fins, some of Texas' most breathtaking state parks that don't involve canyons ... Plus Cajun food on the same menu with Mexican ... Only, it kills you to walk anywhere in the summer, the tap water smells like rotten eggs and the traffic would scare God ...

I love El Paso, I adore San Antonio, and Austin ... oh, Austin.
            ... and the parks. South Llano, Palo Duro, Caprock Canyon, Copper Breaks, Big Bend, McKinney Falls, Lockhart, Atlanta, Hueco Tanks, Franklin Mountains, Monahans Sandhills, Fort Davis  ... I want to see Brazos Bend (yeah, that's on my bucket list) someday, too.

But I live in Lubbock. Home of Texas Tech, helmed by the only guy who ever beat George W Bush in a public election (so they tell me; I think Al Gore did a better job in 2000, but we both know what happened in court).  Lubbock's about as bad as it gets, deep-bleeding-scarlet Bush-loving proud TEA-party  Klan-Klavern "Kony 2012" central.

I wasn't a precinct captain for Bill White in 2010 -- I was the full-time volunteer, working in a 42-county area.  Phone bank, sign delivery, GOTV rally, catering arranger, IT support, errand-runner ...you name it ...

Texas will outlast me. I want the Texas my grandkids grow up in to be as good as the one I learned to love in my childhood and adolescence: Mark White in the governor's chair and Democrats in the Lege and Texans like Sam Rayburn and LBJ serving us nationally....

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:21:04 PM PST

•  I will tell you something else: (2+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1, skohayes

That time I spent with my Kossack brother in Austin, we went out in the car someplace after a rain storm. I said "It reminds me of Houston a little, the smell". "Yes", he said, "there's a certain smell when rain hits Texas dirt. Different from the farm (in MA) though".

Yep.

It is very difficult to love a place where you know you are not wanted. It's especially difficult when you know they are shitting on the legacy of LBJ.

Get your goddamned guns out of my church. This means you.

by commonmass on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 10:51:48 PM PST

•  commonmass: they revel in so doing. (2+ / 0-)
            commonmass, murrayewv

The good Lord willing and the devil don't care my kids will revel in doing so to their heroes' "legacy". We'll bit Ricky and the Lege. We will. I don't know how, but we've got to, or we're going to make Mississippi look like paradise....

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:23:21 PM PST

•  My brother, Kossack "bastrop" is there. (2+ / 0-)
              fhcec, BlackSheep1

He'll help. I can't help you any more. I have to help myself. Part of that was getting the hell out of Texas.

Get your goddamned guns out of my church. This means you.

by commonmass on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:38:22 PM PST

•  ten years or less and Texas turns blue (1+ / 0-)
              BlackSheep1

It's already becoming 'swingy' and democrats have taken over the big cities. Soon Hispanics, progressives and decent humans will be a voting majority in the dawn of a new era.

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:20:23 PM PST

•  Once we have it, can we keep it? (1+ / 0-)
                cacamp

Please? I hope we never have another embarrassment of a governor like Rick Perry, let alone w.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:30:07 PM PST

•  (5+/0) (0+ / 0-)

"Double, double, toile and trouble; Fire burne, and Cauldron bubble... By the pricking of my Thumbes, Something wicked this way comes": Republicans!!. . Willkommen im Vierten Reich! Sie haben keine Bedeutung mehr.

by Bluefin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:11:47 AM PST