View Diary: Uncomfortable: Some questions for African-American Kossacks (89 comments)

•  So glad you diaried (29+ / 0-)

I'm an AFrican-American woman and long-time fan of DKos.

To answer your questions:

Do any AA Kossacks feel uncomfortable reading characterizations of the President as the ones above? If you feel uncomfortable, why not speak up?

I don't feel that uncomfortable. Kossacks tend to be hard-core progressives and the President is more of a centrist.

Even if we are a small minority (well hell we are) why are we afraid to call a spade a spade and discuss the racial undertones of those characterizations?

I hate to say this, but I have not yet noticed "racial undertones". I have rarely been bothered by something that Kossacks have said about Obama. I think the "undertones" would apply to any Democrat.

Do you get frustrated when liberal/progressives/democrat tells you that it has nothing to do with race and would call a white president the same, but you want to scream and say "It does to have to do with race!"? If you are frustrated, why not just say so?

I have the problem with Republicans.

Why are AA Kossacks acting timid about calling out racial undertones we see here at DKos? Is it that scary to be NR'd or bojoed that we just let dogwhistles, or coded word slide?

I actually think that Kossacks are pretty open and take risks with discussions about race. Please enlighten me with some examples.

The civil rights, gay rights and women's movements, designed to allow others to reach for power previously grasped only by white men, have made a real difference, and the outlines of 21st century America have emerged. -- Paul West of LA Times

by LiberalLady on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 08:51:50 PM PST

•  I agree with this.. (7+ / 0-)

Some kossacks are acting like teabaggers from the left but I don't see it as racism I just regard them a PUMAS who think calling hateful names helps their cause in some way.

Both PUMAS and teabaggers think if they voted for or supported a politician he/she had damn well better vote their way on every issue or they'll regard them as an enemy who should be cussed and shamed.

It's stupid but not racist IMO.

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:07:09 PM PST

•  I had my Mom (7+ / 0-)

I had my Mom (68 years old, from Texas, knows racism like the back of her almond colored hand) read some of the comments in the diaries posted regarding Obama-Caving/Chained CPI. She asked me if this was a Republican site. When I told her that it was liberal/progressive/democratic site, she just shook her head and said "Well you're damned if you're black, and you're damned if you're black. You know we can't do nothing right." You may not see it or take it as racism, but I guarantee you that if one person sees it that way, there are a lot more who see it as racism.

Oh Wil Wheaton it was never off - Sheldon Cooper

by msrevis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:28:39 PM PST

•  I honestly think it's just Dems (2+ / 0-)
          CherryTheTart, gustynpip

I've only become truly politically-involved online in this election and I've been shocked at the different attitudes that Repubs and Dems have.  Republican politicians do poorly and the Repubs act like they were amazing.  Dem politicians do poorly and the Dems moan, whine, complain, despair, rationally point it out, pick your poison.  Repub politicians do great, the Repubs sing hallelujas.  Dem politicians do great, and the Dems cheer for about 2 secs and then get to talking about all the good things the Dems DIDN'T do or say that they could and damn well should have.

I think an interesting test of whether it's racially-motivated or not would be to go into a thread about a white Democrat and print out the negative comments w/out the name and even let her think that's PBO and see if she thinks that is racist.  I genuinely would bec curious to find out the result.

We all made this journey for a reason. -- President Barack Obama (February 10, 2007)

by arabian on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 10:54:44 PM PST

•  If you agree Obama's not perfect, ... (3+ / 0-)
          ek hornbeck, CherryTheTart, gustynpip

and if you agree people have a right to complain about things he does that displeases them, please specify what comments ARE acceptable that you won't believe are racist.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:56:01 PM PST

•  I think it might be racism to be too polite. (1+ / 0-)
          gustynpip

"He has no balls" is a common expression used to describe cowardice in America. I think it is an equal opportunity epithet.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 01:41:39 AM PST

•  it's stupid, IMHO, and verges on racist, (1+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens

if not flat out racist.

I don't comment because I don't want to spend enough time reading the drivel to be able to comment on it, so I go elsewhere for political reading when these waves hit DKos.

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:07:38 PM PST

•  If you read (3+ / 0-)
      Avila, fhcec, Larsstephens

If you read some of the Chained CPI diaries, you'll see some of the stuff I wrote about. What makes me pissed is that some claim it has to do with his policies, ok if it is a policy issue stick with the policy issue, don't make characterizations.

Oh Wil Wheaton it was never off - Sheldon Cooper

by msrevis on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:16:20 PM PST

•  I think people here are now behaving like Limbaugh (1+ / 0-)
      Cat Whisperer

Disgusting as it may sound, that is what is on display. How is a minor adjustment in rate of future growth of Social Security benefits, with exceptions, worse than 2 million Americans being thrown to the wolves on January 1 by losing unemployment insurance.

•  I think this is the real issue PBO is trying to (2+ / 0-)
        ciganka, CherryTheTart

avoid. Folks getting thrown off UI in the middle of winter just sucks. Boehner knows that. My gut feeling is that is a lot of the reason PBO made the last deal. Chained cpi sucks too. All in all, everything depends on how much individual people speak out.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 09:38:41 PM PST

•  well, chained CPI can be adjusted to hit just the (3+ / 0-)
          Larsstephens, ciganka, Cat Whisperer

high earners.

As I commented elsewhere, my SS was reduced this year because last year I had an unexpected increase in non-employment income that meant I earned over the limit for full income-based SS payment. So my SS payment was reduced quite a bit... No complaints, just surprised because I had not had that happen before.

Those same levels could be used to apply the chained CPI with no effect whatsoever on lower income people dependent on SS for a large part of their income.

If my income drops this year, as I expect it will, my SS will be reduced again.

by fhcec on Wed Dec 19, 2012 at 11:14:06 PM PST

•  I have learned not to participate (1+ / 0-)
        Cat Whisperer

. . . in the cluster fucks. I cannot not afford to be triggered and distressed by the flying flaming emotions.  If the "he's got no balls" starts, I leave.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 01:44:19 AM PST

•  Thanks LL (2+ / 0-)
      mama jo, SoCaliana

Saved me typing, my responses were the same.

This Koss(bl)ack needs examples as well.