View Diary: Oxymoronic Phrases 101: The Responsible Gun Owner (83 comments)

•  Wrong (4+ / 0-)

I enjoy conversation and debate.

However....show me how Kestrel9000 taking what I wrote as a personal attack on him, then just throwing an insult or two without actually making any counter argument, classes as a conversation or debate.

Then you can try to make the counter argument that addresses my points:

1) owning and keeping a gun in the home no matter how well secured is intrinsically dangerous and a risk

as

2) You are only human, and are open to having some outside influence beyond your control drive you temporarily nutso

and

3) If that should happen then there is a risk you may use the gun to harm yourself or others. Thus you, while stable, are a low risk, when unstable a high risk, but you are ALWAYS a risk.

QED the term Responsible Gun Owner is pure oxymoronic nonsense.

I dont think gun owners are intrinsically bad people, or socially maladjusted. But you are all risks....merely risks on a sliding scale of threat to others.

Over to you....or you can do what Kestrel did, throw your teddy bear, and run away.

•  OK one more (5+ / 0-)

The opinion holds---you don't want to converse with gunowners you want to yammer at them.
      Come on Teddykins, lets go somewhere nice

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:00:26 AM PST

•  You can read back and see LOTS (11+ / 0-)

of comments where I support more and stronger gun restrictions and that I am sympathetic to people who want to go farther than I am comfortable.  In fact, just prior to Sandy Hook, I was roundly dogpiled by the RKBA guys on here because of restrictions I support.

However, this diary and your comments afterward are far beyond reasonable.  It IS possible to be a gun owner and still support measures to make us safer.  I agree that too many gun owners reflexively oppose anything sensible, but NOT all of us.

I AM a responsible gun owner.  Unless you break into my home, neither I nor my firearms will ever be a danger to you or anyone else.  Period.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:18:10 AM PST

•  Well said n/t. (2+ / 0-)
        kestrel9000, cazcee

Speak softly and carry a big can of tuna.

by Cat Whisperer on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:44:43 AM PST

•  Could you tell us again what you "restrictions" (9+ / 0-)

entailed? I'm one of those RKBA members and I don't recall any constructive suggestions recently.

By the diarists definitions, no gun owner can be responsible because they are gun owners.  Hows this constructive?

And how can you not take offense to it? It's clear to me, a non-gun owner, that it's meant to be exactly that, offense.

by gerrilea on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 05:04:01 AM PST

•  Just look at the pictures (4+ / 0-)

Look at Dave's picture, then look at mine on my profile.
          I think Dave judges us all by his own self.
          I invite anyone to look:
          Who looks more reasonable?
          Who would you rather sit down and have a cup of coffee with and talk to?
          Who would you rather see carrying a gun?

Tell you what, Dave, if you ever want to have a serious conversation with anyone, better change your picture.

Ciao.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 05:29:18 AM PST

•  Every picture tells a story, story (4+ / 0-)
            claude, kestrel9000, oldpunk, gerrilea

been sitting here thinking about icon pictures....why people put on what they do.
            My my my, there sure are different types.
            I chose the picture I did because I wanted to appear to be someone people would want to talk to, like you were walking down Rue Haussman (where it was taken) and coming across this charming, sophisticated handsome stranger, would feel welcome to sit right down, have an espresso and talk.

And you.............................

I figure icon pictures are like a first impression of where the head's at and I don't know when I've seen such a striking difference between two old fogies, a really different life view. A complefely different way to present onself, to make a first impression, to invite others to talk.
            Amazing, just amazing, and sad.

Don't ever judge me for responsiblity nor lecture me how to get along in the world, you lose the argument as soon as someone looks at that picture.

So tell us, audience. Try and close off everything else you know about Dave and me and just look at the pictures.

Which one of us looks like he knows how to get along best in the world?
            Which one looks the most law abiding?
            Which one looks like the one with the spotless criminal record? (there's one there for sure)
            Which one looks most  like he knows all the local deputies from being a volunteer fireman, not from being arrested?
            Which one looks like he may have run a successfull contracting business, never sued once, for a quarter of a century?
            Which one looks like he was a city commissioner in Chico in the 80s??(Architectural Review Board)
            Who would you rather have your kids spend time with?

Who do you think has the better concept of "responsibility?"
            (thanking you in advance)

So there you are Dave, we'll just let the audience decide.
            A word to the wise, no I mean Helpful hint: lose the picture if you want to lecture people on responsibility

Ciao again.
             I'm just here to pick up my teddy bear

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:32:54 AM PST

•  Looking for your TU thingie (2+ / 0-)
              kestrel9000, gerrilea

Not seeing it

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:42:23 AM PST

•  FATHER JACK (0+ / 0-)

That my pedigree chums is an icon picture of FATHER JACK HACKETT, a character from the hit comedy series FATHER TED.

Given my predilection for using the Common Vernacular as a form of punctuation, my Catholic upbringing and education, and utter disrespect for all things religious its a highly appropriate icon to adopt.

You need to be familiar with the series to get the joke.

By the way - have any of you ever heard the phrase: Don't judge a book by its cover?

•  Huh? (0+ / 0-)

Your reply suggests that I agree with Dave the Sandman's characterization that no gun owner can be responsible.  I thought I was pretty clear that I disagreed with his diary.

Maybe by "far beyond reasonable" you thought I meant "very reasonable", though I actually meant "very unreasonable"?  I guess I see how that mistake could happen.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72

by Mark Mywurtz on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 04:04:02 PM PST

•  Until your home catches fire when you are away (1+ / 0-)
        grumpelstillchen

Then the ammunition that you have in the house becomes a significant danger to your neighbors and the responding firefighters...

I am a warrior for peace. And not a gentle man... Steve Mason, 1940-2005

by Wayward Wind on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 05:05:14 AM PST

•  No. You exclude the possibility that someone (0+ / 0-)

else might break into your home, grab your guns and come after me with them.

That's where I think the diarist slips up--saying that there can be no such thing as a "responsible gun owner" because the gun owner him/herself may go wheeeeeeee.....

The reason I personally believe that there is no such thing as a "responsible gun owner" is that you cannot, no matter what you do, you cannot give any of us absolute 100% assurance that someone else (your child, your second-cousin twice removed, an intruder) will not get their hands on your guns and use them to shoot US.

Sure, there are enough gun owners who support regulation and support "common sense" measures to stem the tide of gun violence in this country.

But to me that does not make them "responsible". IMO, in this day and age, it is IRRESPONSIBLE to own guns, period. Because there are some things--too many of them--that are simply out of your control. Sure, there are reasonable, considerate, sane gun owners. But responsible? Not in my view.

•  Well, I see your point (0+ / 0-)

but I have to say that 1) my guns would be pretty undesirable for a perpetrator to steal to shoot you as there is a lot higher firepower available out there, 2) the perpetrator would have to find a way remove locks form all of my guns, so it wouldn't be an impulse thing, and 3) it's amazing that if I own a firearm that is no more powerful than I need for hunting, follow all laws and usual safety practices, and lock them up that you would blame ME and call ME irresponsible in the unlikely event that someone were to break into my house and use them in a crime.

I will assume from your last paragraph that you are categorically opposed to hunting because guns are involved.

Political compass: -8.75 / -4.72