View Diary: The “Chained CPI” Cut – “If You Can’t Dazzle Them With Brilliance . . .” (262 comments)

•  Ok, so I'm 41 and I have a 1 year old and a 5 year (0+ / 0-)

old in my household.   What we have to look forward to is SS paying approximately 75% of our promised benefits under current law.

So, Alan, in my world a slight adjustment to the CPI formula is very minor compared to me and my kids receiving 25 percent less than what is promised to us.  Is that the world you are living in?

What's your solution to budget shortfall that SS is expected to experience in the years to come?

While I personally do not think that changes to SS should be part of the "fiscal cliff" negotiations this extremely minor change to SS is the no-brainer move that will be part of any subsequent SS reform that simply must occur.

Alan, you earned my respect when you showed patience and understanding when confronted with hardcore Republicans debating you on the fly at some event in the last couple of years.   But do you seriously propose that a viable political game plan is to reform SS merely by raising taxes?  That would appear to be a fantasy land type proposal and so if we are indeed going to cut SS benefits, at least a little, isn't the chained CPI proposal really the least bad of our options?

(I know most politicians posting on DKOS do not engage in the comments but there are times when our elected officials should really understand that they are public servants and should answer reasonable questions.)

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein

by theotherside on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 01:39:52 PM PST

•  Social Security is not part of the deficit (7+ / 0-)

Cutting benefits to current and future retirees (as the chained CPI does) won't reduce the ffederal budget deficit by a penny.

Social Security is also in healthy shape for the next 20+ years.  If we want to rebuild the Social Security Trust Fund beyond that time, all that is necessary is to raise the income cap for employee contributions.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 02:05:32 PM PST

•  And I guess you would call me a "libturd" (5+ / 0-)
      Clues, blueoasis, JesseCW, vacantlook, zaka1

per your most recent "diary"

by Betty Pinson on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 02:09:15 PM PST

•  Apparently you don't get snark (0+ / 0-)

Look at the comments regarding people that understand what I was trying to do.

Be well.

by theotherside on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:00:10 PM PST

•  How come your diary (1+ / 0-)
          shigeru

didn't have a snark tag on it and you got -23 rec's and you described yourself as

As a "conservative" registered Republican I'm usually respectful when I come here into the house of you pinko Commies
          Plus I hate to break it too you, but this is more than just about you, it is about all of us.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 09:48:38 PM PST

•  Did you even read the comments? (0+ / 0-)

If you did you would know that your points are really ill-founded.  Yes, some people didn't get the snark but that is the risk of snark.  And if you have to put "snark" in a tag it makes it less potent, IMO.

Anyway, it's silly to argue over the snarkiness of a diary from months ago and even sillier to base arguments on a failed understanding of a snarky post.

(Perhaps if you re-read the diary understanding that I am truly a lifelong Republican (that voted straight Dem this year) and I was making fun of knuckle dragging, factually challenged right wing Volt haters you would better understand the snark.)

by theotherside on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 08:12:55 AM PST

•  It's nothing to worry about now. (2+ / 0-)
      Clues, JesseCW
      But if you are worried about it, the answer is simple:  Extend the cap.
      •  Extending the cap is one obvious solution which I (0+ / 0-)

support.  How high you raise it will determine the shortfall we face.  I would argue that the fact of the matter is that politics will dictate that fixing SS will come about as a compromise between tax increases and benefit cuts.  And the first cut will be the CPI adjustment, rightfully so.

by theotherside on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:03:26 PM PST

•  Ain't nothing, absolutely NOTHING right about it. (1+ / 0-)
          zaka1
          And the first cut will be the CPI adjustment, rightfully so.
          I wish, I wish, I wish that you would realize that people are going to be hurting beyond belief, yet you say:  "rightfully so."

Shame on you for wanting to hurt the least among us.  Not "least" as in not worthy but "least" who need our help the most.  And it's not the 1% who need our help.

Shame on you.

•  We can all pay just a little more in withholding (0+ / 0-)

and everything is copacetic.

Will you give up a cup of coffee a week?

If so, there's no funding problem.

"Furthermore, if you think this would be the very very last cut ever if we let it happen, you are a very confused little rabbit." cai

by JesseCW on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 03:01:09 PM PST