View Diary: What's next for Boehner? A better deal—or civil war? (396 comments)

•  Indeed, the possibility of Obama (20+ / 0-)

conceding even more to the craziest element in the Republican Party, in the day remaining before the holiday break, alarms me most.

Man, don't you see they HATE your GUTS??? And nothing you do, no concession you make, will change that sad fact! Let them fall on their knives. Please.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:24:44 PM PST

•  someone tell me that he's not running down the (9+ / 0-)

hall after them...

If the plutocrats begin the program, we will end it. -- Eugene Debs.

by livjack on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:28:49 PM PST

•  why would he? (1+ / 0-)
      karmsy

he's always had the upper hand and he's been playing Boner and the House GOP.

When they did not accept the Grand Bargain last time, the House GOP was foolish...they made a poor political decision and the same cast of characters is involved.....nothing has changed.

It's a powerful hand knowing what you offer will be rejected because of the ideologues. The fiscal cliff is a slope and things happen over time, not all instantly and there is time to react.

O knows what he is doing.

mittens=edsel. no matter how much money is spent to promote it, if the product sucks, no one will buy it.

by wewantthetruth on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 07:58:22 PM PST

•  Hope you're right. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by karmsy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:21:56 PM PST

•  O, Reid, Pelosi (1+ / 0-)
          karmsy

and dems are more on the same page than I have ever seen. closely coordinated....much different than dems used to handle things (going back aways).

I am not going to say I am 100% right but if one puts hysteria aside and really looks into all the info going back to Grand Bargain negotiations, you can see the hand that is being played.

No one is more progressive than Howard Dean and Robert Reich is right there and they are convinced this is the right, and best, strategy for both the dems and the country.

boner is a joke and ideologues are ideologues. you would think after the election, GOP would come around but that's never going to happen until there are wholesale changes in GOP.

I'm as good on this as I was that O was going to be re-elected since he launched his re-election campaign. I never panicked because again, get past hysteria, the facts were there.

Could I be wrong? sure, but I do not think that I a

by wewantthetruth on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:35:46 PM PST

•  My argument with myself: (0+ / 0-)

The White House has been making statements since Boehner's defeat earlier today that I find disturbing, e.g.: "We're still committed to working with Republicans to find a bipartisan solution before the break." (Or close.)

Given Obama's penchant for saying only what he absolutely means, I'm worried that this isn't bluff. Similar words might indicate Obama intends to continue chasing after Republicans, offering them still more drastic capitulation, at the expense of those who can least afford it.

Or perhaps (I hope) the sides are too far apart to bring together--before Christmas or in anybody's lifetime--a "bipartisan" deal will never be reached, and the Republicans will be roundly, deservedly humiliated come January.

by karmsy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 08:56:49 PM PST