View Diary: Glenn Close offers an awareness raising message on Sandy Hook and mental health issues (22 comments)

•  By coincidence, Wayne LaPierre, of the NRA just (7+ / 0-)

called for an active, national database of everyone with mental illness, something that makes no discrimination between those with no previous evidence of violence of psychosis, and those with none.

Now, as I mentioned in the article,  people with symptoms of depression, PTSD, anxiety, or anything else will hesitate to seek help or report symptoms lest they have to register themselves with local police, and on community databases  like sex offenders, where ever they may hope to live, presumably for the rest of their lives.

How sad.

LaPierre seems to be spreading ignorance not improving understanding.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 08:42:07 AM PST

•  I suspect that that's a no go from the get go (3+ / 0-)
      eXtina, Glen The Plumber, HoundDog

due to HIPAA

But nice grandstanding!

And how does that address all the gun deaths that are wrought by "completely sane" people?

•  I hope the HIPAA will be supported. It's one law (3+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy, SoCalSal, second gen

that can be overridden by later laws.

I presume you are suggesting Wayne LaPierre is grandstanding as not me, as I didn't suggest such a database would address any of the gun deaths, and you kindlly rec'd my post.  But, perhaps, because I've posted some of the most entertaining and thought provoking grandstanding you've seen all afternoon, eh, Roadbed Guy?

:-0

I was just thinking about this again, wondering how many parents are warning their children not to share any thoughts or feelings that might be problematic with teachers, school counselors, therapists, friends, or anyone else that might report them and have notes go into their "permanent" records.

I guess most kids will be smart enough to figure this out on their own. When we live in a society that is hostile and non-caring about individuals and individual rights, individuals, and even young children learn very quickly not to honestly share their inner world for fear of the consequences.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 11:27:07 AM PST

•  Yes, I was referring to Wayne (2+ / 0-)
          HoundDog, SoCalSal

That wasn't very clear. sorry.

•  That's ok Roadbed Guy. As long as folks rec my (1+ / 0-)
            Roadbed Guy

post, they can say pretty much anything they like about me and I"m still happy.  I think I've told you before I've thought about changing my UID to Mojohound, as getting recs seems to be some kind of a weird primal drive for me that really doesn't make much sense.

Particular since I'm now in my 50s, and am here anonymous.

I was going to talk to my psychiatrist about it, but then thought better of the idea for fear that might be put in my permanent record and flagged by some moron working for minimum wage, at our local domestic intelligence center as part of the profile of people they should keep an eye on.

Thanks for commenting.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 11:41:23 AM PST

•  How much mojo do you need, really? (1+ / 0-)
              HoundDog

Heck, if you have two bars, you can read the hidden comments.  Why do you need more?  Is there a second (and third and fourth, I suppose) level of even more deeply hidden comment that you get access to if you have progressively more bars?

I suppose if you opt not to tell me, I'll never find out because I have a weird primal drive to do the bare minimum needed to get through life . . .

•  You are right Roadbed Guy, that's why I was (1+ / 0-)
                Roadbed Guy

confessing that it is a totally irrational compulsion.

As soon as anyone starts counting anything my pulse quickens and I get competitive.

But, in the case of total recs under our People menu is a number of accumulated counters such as total recs, number of posts, number of followers, which are silly but, I can't help notice.

Yesterday, I pass 30,000 total accumulated recs, which I celebrated. I need about another 4,000 to get on the first page of Most Recommend authors.

Four days ago, I published my 675 post which moved me from the second page to the first page of Most Prolific Authors.

And, somehow I ended up at the top of the Most Frequent poster of the month for over a month, even though I took off a week for Thanksgiving, and half of last week for a trip to Boston.  I think it must be broken because kos wrote 75 posts just during the week of Boston.

Whatever, ...   Every rec I receive makes me happy, which I realize is a sad reflection of unresolved self-esteem issues, but it's who I am.

Thanks, Roadbed Guy.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 01:17:54 PM PST

•  Egad, I just checked and I have 3 bars (1+ / 0-)
              HoundDog

How did that happen?  Why am I trying so hard??

I definitely need a break from this place . .. .

•  They are like those "gateway drugs" Roadbed. (1+ / 0-)
                Roadbed Guy

It starts out with just checking every now and then, and before you know it you'll be "jonesing" for more recs and checking you stats every couple hours.

And, if you post something that get ignored, you'll start to get the shacks.

But, don't despair, by that time I'll probably have set up a 12 step support group for blogging addicts.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 01:21:50 PM PST

•  Does the HIPAA provide any protection against the (1+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy

wide variety of new extra-constitutional domestic and foreign intelligence programs done under the Patriot Act, and under the increasingly used National Security Letters?

We know to get health care and most kinds of insurance, and even treatment at hospitals we are required to sign certain waivers of these rights for a variety of purpose.

Most of us have given permission for the insurance companies to store and have access to much of our medical records in that national data base, which is kept in Massachusetts I think.

Last month when I went to the emergency room, I signed a two page fine print legal document on admissions giving the hospital permission to do various things with my medical records for billing Medicare and I honestly, do not know what else as I was in too much pain to read all the fine print.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 11:36:15 AM PST

•  I worked in a building that was owned by (1+ / 0-)
          HoundDog

a hospital, so I had to take HIPAA training.

Which was weird because the building was leased to a separate entity and subsequently used for an entirely different purpose than patient care, but you know regulations are regulations, so there was no getting around taking the training course.

But quite frankly, I did the minimum to pass and I can't remember many details anymore, but I'm pretty sure that the compilation of the proposed national data would DEFINITELY go against the spirit of the law.   But there's probably some loophole that would allow it to go through if enough lawyers set their minds to making it happen . ..

•  My impression is that a combination of the Patriot (0+ / 0-)

Act, the FISA regulations, and public and secret Executive Findings by the President now enable our intelligence agencies to waive just about any law, or Constitutional concern they feel might interfere with their national security efforts.

I've read a few articles on the FBI's us of the newly authorized National Security Letters which they can issue to  compel individuals including librarians, utility workers, blog and other website owners, your friends and relatives to tell and release any information they request about you that might be relevant to any national investigation.

They do not need to get a warrant from a judge, the targets are forbidden from every mentioning the request to you or anyone else, never, they never expire and are never reviewed by later courts, which I think is totally wrong.

I have many other right of privacy issues with these letters, but just one, is that I see no reason where there should not be a reasonable time limit where the target individual is informed that such a secret investigation has been performed on him, and also expiration dates on the secrecy.

At the least, we should have a court judge review annually to see if any were inappropriate.

I understand why in an emergency, we might not want targets to know they are being investigated.  But, after some reasonable time limit, say 1, 3, or  even 5 years, unless the FBI asks for an extension.

This would, at least, add a feedback process of accountibilitity, which is now lacking.

One thing our founding fathers understood is that power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.  It has nothing to do with goodness, or morality - but is like a law of physics.  Unlimited power, creates damage.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 12:35:37 PM PST

•  HIPAA has been so badly distorted that it (1+ / 0-)
          second gen

does more harm than good. Initially when Clinton signed it, it was designed to reinforce privacy protections, but as soon as the BushCheney crowd came in, they blew a hole in it big enough for the insurance companies to drive their trucks right through.
          I had the extremely unpleasant experience of having a private conversation with my doctor read back to me from my chart, by an insurance company executive that was rejecting my application! I wasn't even a client, they had a full detailed copy of my chart already! (That's why I haven't had health insurance for several years now.)
          Meanwhile, a friend of mine is a med tech at a nursing home, she tells me that the doctors and nurses are not allowed to tell her if the person, who's bodily fluids she's cleaning up, has AIDS or Ebola or anything else! Their chart is locked away so she can't look and the nurse would be fired for telling her.
          HIPAA is a major obstacle to effective treatment, putting a barrier between doctors, nurses, techs and the patient, it causes medical mistakes, while allowing the Insurance companies full access.
          Something wrong with that.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 12:43:29 PM PST