View Diary: Sheriff Beats 4'11" Man With Down's Syndrome -- After Being Told He Has Down's Syndrome. Update. (172 comments)

•  I wish i could give the cite . . . (21+ / 0-)

but there has been at least one study done that finds a higher rate of psychopathy among police than among criminals. Unfortunately a percentage of people go into the business because they are cowardly bullies who want to hide behind a gun and a badge so they can push people around and make themselves feel like big men.

I've encountered a couple of those kinds of cops in my time, and they are really scary. There's nothing you can do either, their colleagues won't acknowledge what they are.

•  I do not understand why every police officer (8+ / 0-)

or every firearms owner in this country has to be smeared with the same baseless accusations of "bully" and "criminal" and "murderer" whenever the misdeeds of one or some few come to light.

DO you REALLY believe there are no law-abiding firearms owners?
      Do you?
      Do you REALLY honestly know in your gut that no cop chose that job in the spirit of helping people and serving the community and making little kids in schools safer?
      Do you?

Because that's the impression raised here, especially since a week ago today.

All cops are bullies.
      All guns in and of themselves are pure unadulterated malice.

Or is it just a knee-jerk fear-driven squeal of outrage?

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 09:28:55 AM PST

•  There are many fine peaceful police officers (24+ / 0-)

out there.

It's just that you never know if you are encountering one of the many good guys or if it's your bad luck to be dealing with one of the lawless thugs.  So you end up fearing all of them.

I screwed up with a careless uprate so I'm a "No Rate" pariah. When I give a comment "+1 n/t", please consider that a recommend. (That's my workaround to participate here). DK haiku, one complete thought in a title field. Roar louder! NR since 3/7/12.

by Josiah Bartlett on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 09:40:33 AM PST

•  Josiah Bartlett: I don't believe police or (1+ / 0-)
          CA wildwoman

law-abiding Americans deserve to be lumped into the same category of miscreant as an actual felon.

The ROTC student handling a firearm at a range isn't Adam Lanza.
          The hunter stalking half a year's freezer meet isn't Jared Loughner.

We don't have "beat cops" walking the streets in my hometown. I know not every cop is another Kevin Brennan, or Darrell Campbell.  But that doesn't make me think that every uniformed officer of the LPD or the LCSO is another Tom Coleman either ...

If I were going to write a blanket exception for a class based on employment, it'd be politicians / lobbyists.

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 11:47:28 AM PST

•  Many of them would actually be felons (6+ / 0-)

or at least criminals if they were made to abide by the same laws as the rest of us.

Of course they are not ALL bad , but that is not what was originally written. There are enough of them abusing their power that it is an undeniable problem.

I know that I personally believe the chances of my having a negatively life altering experience is much more likely to happen from law enforcement encounter than from a criminal or terrorist.

•  Going in opposite directions (1+ / 0-)
              jpmassar

a cop made a U turn, pulled me over and said "We made eye contact, you know I had to pull you over".  The judge laughed when I contested and asked if I would settle for a parking ticket rather than a moving violation.  Both were scumsacks.

•  You are observing the irresponsible... (4+ / 1-)

...generalization of an entire class of people that gets lambasted on this site if it is directed against the agreed upon "good" people but is celebrated if it is directed against the agreed upon  "bad" people.  Be prepared for flames.

"The opposite of faith is not doubt. It's certainty."

by Simul Iustus et Peccator on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 10:18:13 AM PST

•  Uprated for HR abuse. (2+ / 0-)
           * [new]  You are observing the irresponsible... (1+ / 1-)

BlackSheep1
          Hidden by:
              therealcervantes

"The opposite of faith is not doubt. It's certainty."

by Simul Iustus et Peccator on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 01:18:13 PM EST

[ Parent | Reply to This | Recommend Hide ]

•  You did not read what I wrote . . . (4+ / 0-)

I said "a percentage." Not all. Please.

•  did you not write (1+ / 0-)
          fuzzyguy
          I wish i could give the cite . . . (8+ / 0-)

as the opening of your statement, then back it up with

which amounts to a blanket indictment of every officer in uniform, possibly excepting actual canines?

by BlackSheep1 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 11:49:35 AM PST

•  Because of the blue wall of silence (3+ / 0-)
        JesseCW, StrayCat, CA wildwoman

that many refuse to defy.

They've taken the Peelian Principles* and wiped their collective asses with it.

This type of abuse of powers do not happen in a vacuum, command must be held accountable too.

*>The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.

>The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon the public approval of police actions.

>Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observation of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.

>The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.

>Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

>Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice, and warning is found to be insufficient.

>Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

>Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions, and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.

>The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

•  For a short period of time I transcribed (3+ / 0-)
      StrayCat, BusyinCA, CA wildwoman

psychological evaluations. The psychologist I worked for told me that he used to do evaluations on police cadets. He said many of them were rated the same as those people who were being committed to a hospital for the criminally insane.