View Diary: The Evening Blues - 12-21-12 (94 comments)

•  Are you really a wingnut? ;) (4+ / 0-)

I just spent a few hours with my formerly sane friends who have become the wing nuttiest of the tea party.

It is becoming painful keeping a friendship going when our world views differ so widely.

The nation sure did divide up into 2 teams that do not seem to be able to get together.

"Who are these men who really run this land? And why do they run it with such a thoughtless hand?" David Crosby

by allenjo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 06:05:27 PM PST

•  Yes, Virginia (3+ / 0-)
      allenjo, joe shikspack, joanneleon

I'm really a wingnut.  No hate, no bible, no gun, no tea party.  Just kind of old school "don't want the government to try to solve problems they were never designed, and aren't competent enough, to solve" kind of conservative.  I love dKos for the interaction, writing, passion, etc.  I don't come here to argue politics, so I don't post anything contrary to the sites expressed goals.  This is your house, and I respect that.

"Differences in political opinion are as unavoidable as, to a certain point, they may perhaps be necessary." George Washington

by civil wingnut on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 06:19:28 PM PST

•  that's completely welcome here... (3+ / 0-)
        civil wingnut, joanneleon, allenjo

i think that we've come to a point as a society where the labels aren't working for us anymore.  i've been finding lately that i have become so far left (not that i have changed my beliefs or positions) lately that i increasingly have little in common politically with obama democrats.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 06:44:42 PM PST

•  I think there is a lot of common ground (4+ / 0-)

on a number of issues.  Some of the divisions are so unnecessary.  I do believe that the 1% prefer to keep people divided and that it is encouraged via the media.

It's a shame that the common ground is not used more effectively.

Do you think that over time there will be more moderate conservatives?  I used to know a lot of reasonable conservatives.  I actually still do but it seems like they are way in the minority.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 06:48:42 PM PST

•  I really think there are more moderate (4+ / 0-)

conservatives (especially on social issues) then it appears.  What I call the "loud" right gets all the press; evangelical hard-cores, 'merica morons, nationalistic chickenhawks.  My professional associates and my clients seem to come in 3 groups:  small group of hard core left, small group of hard core right, and a huge number of politically indifferent moderates.  Seems like all the noise comes from the extremes.  Both sides eat it up and respond with a passion, but they're the only ones listening.

by civil wingnut on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:04:40 PM PST

•  I posted this elsewhere (5+ / 0-)

in response to part of a comment below.

This is what I am seeing happening in our country today and I don't know how we stop it, with a complicit congress and president..........

----------------------------------------

The 1% now believe they have control

No fear of unions, socialism no longer a threat, like years back when we had so much manufacturing in this country, so they keep pushing and pushing the 99%, more money, more power, crowding us out in every direction.

That is why there is such concerted effort to destroy the unions, the last of what is left of them in this nation, why we have all the trade agreements, sending the jobs out of this country. No more advertisements proudly proclaiming "Made in America."

The 1% want us left with nothing. They want a nation of peasants -that is their goal, and congress is complicit in those goals -  that is why the safety nets have to go, and the president has started that, as this first SS cut is just the start of dismantling those, starting down that slippery slope with the first shot fired.

It is like when the USSR fell, nothing to stop the USA from taking over as the world power. There is no country able to stand up to this one, our MIC is so huge, we are untouchable, few dare cross this country.

Our country suffers due to the horrific expense of maintaining this vast military complex. There just is not enough money, and we all lose out to the MIC, which must be maintained at all costs, those 5,000 military bases. Congress has decided that maintaining that MIC, being a world power is more important that taking care of this country needs and its people's needs.

The goal posts of what the middle class is has been redefined by the wealthy and they don't want to give up anything especially some taxes because they are not part of the American community, they are of the 1% and 2% community that feeds off of the 98%.  Now I'm going to go tear out more clumps of my hair trying to wrap my mind around this whole concept.

by allenjo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:27:01 PM PST

•  No kidding (3+ / 0-)
      joe shikspack, allenjo, aliasalias

Family too.

I'm still reeling from a family member's comment on Thanksgiving about how the children killed by drone attacks were just going to grow up to be terrorists anyway.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 06:43:11 PM PST

•  my teabag friends I just wrote about (2+ / 0-)
        joe shikspack, joanneleon

want every muslin bombed off the face of the earth, the husband said bomb the whole middle east like we did Japan..........

by allenjo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:21:38 PM PST

•  don't tell him that there are muslims all over... (3+ / 0-)
          allenjo, joanneleon, aliasalias

the world, lots of them outside of the middle east.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:26:05 PM PST

•  real muricans don't like brown skin people (2+ / 0-)
            joe shikspack, joanneleon

by allenjo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 07:29:33 PM PST

•  right after 9/11 the gas stations on the northside (1+ / 0-)
            joe shikspack

of Fort Worth Tx. run by  anyone that LOOKED like they were from the ME were a different story and when I went in to pay for gas I was never thanked so much in a deferring manner and I sensed real fear.
             There were two stores in particular that recognized me and a some friends but even they were being overly polite. I cracked a couple of jokes and made small talk (weather, the Dallas Cowboys etc.) but they were very nervous and a few weeks later with all the right wing radio blasting away I started to see it as a lot more threatening to them.

They (in the 2 stores I frequented) had run those stores for over 10 years that I knew of, cashed checks for friends, took some things in pawn for gas (and beer) ,gave some credit and were just all around good people.

They left their businesses within weeks of the attacks on 9/11 and I lived in Nacogdoches at the time (coming to my hometown Ft. Worth frequently)so I'm not sure when they left but it was apparently right after one of the stations had been bombed within a month of the attacks.

I also know some very conservative people that felt they were unfairly treated but most of them had the same flaw in their reasoning, they felt  these particular people were 'exceptions'.
            That's what I saw growing up with racists, even when they meet a person of color they really like they brand them as an exception to the rule and at the same time claim to not be racist because they have friends of color.

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 10:52:48 PM PST