View Diary: When did it become ok? (83 comments)

•  It's called Jaywalking. (8+ / 0-)

Jaywalking is a term commonly used in North America to refer to illegal or reckless pedestrian crossing of a roadway. Examples include a pedestrian crossing between intersections without yielding to drivers and starting to cross a crosswalk at a signalized intersection without waiting for a permissive indication to be displayed.
    •  Yes it is, and I still stop for them. (1+ / 0-)
      cv lurking gf
      •  Do you only go at idle speed (no more than 5 (1+ / 0-)
        Laconic Lib

mph) whenever there are pedestrians anywhere on the sidewalk nearby because at any second they could decide to step out right in front of you and you would have less than 5-10 feet to stop?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 07:11:00 PM PST

•  I take care to watch and scan and anticipate (2+ / 0-)
          cv lurking gf, mamamorgaine

This will never be a perfect solution. I completely understand the annoyance, but at the same time, I don't ever want to hurt someone if it can be at all prevented.

Their idiot behavior is  more a reflection on themselves. They risk themselves every time they do it, and yet I am resolved to take care whenever possible even if they are unwilling to do the same.

•  That's isn't good enough. Remember, if the (1+ / 0-)
            Laconic Lib

pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way then you have to assume they could jump out in front of you at any time and act accordingly, even though most people would consider such actions to be unreasonable.  Remember, what is reasonable has NOTHING to do with the law unless the law specifically states so.  So yes, in California you MUST slow down to idle speed whenever you see any pedestrians in the area because who knows when they could almost literally jump on your hood.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 07:40:56 PM PST

•  Look if you want to be pissed, be pissed. (2+ / 0-)
              cv lurking gf, nolagrl

I already slow down. I thought I made that clear.

What is in the air this month that makes people so quick to pick an argument?

•  Sorry, but what most people don't get is that (2+ / 0-)
                shypuffadder, Laconic Lib

the entire point of  strict liability is that it doesn't matter what you do, if it isn't enough then you are going to jail and/or being sued out of everything you own.  In other words, even if it was something completely crazy and out of your control like that the pedestrian in question was completely invisible because they were using a stolen personal cloaking device secretly developed by the CIA (an extreme example and something that wouldn't happen, but that is the kind of example used in business law classes) that wouldn't make one bit of difference.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 09:14:53 PM PST

•  Yeah! I shouldn't been walking on the damn (1+ / 0-)
                  OleHippieChick

sidewalk. I shoulda' known cars wanted to drive UP ON THE SIDEWALK. Damn me, I was a pedestrian and cars have all the rights. I deserved to lose my foot.

Do you really have pedestrians jumping in front of your car hourly, or at least daily? I've had many more run-ins - literally - with bad drivers than pedestrians. Those were while driving myself, on my motorcycle (the accident above ended that), bicycling (the accident above ended that), running (the accident above ended that), and, as above, walking. The car that hit me was probably doing around thirty, I think. She was going fast enough that when the driver disregarding the "No Left Turn" signs hit her car, instead of spinning it was redirected toward me.

If you're driving in the comfort of your car, understand that a fair amount of pedestrians probably are walking because they can't afford a car, and the weather may be bad - hot, cold, rainy, overly-bright - and their foolish mistake of stepping in front of your damn car will cost them much more pain than it will cost you money.

Now, happy holidays.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty." Mohandas Gandhi

by cv lurking gf on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 06:28:56 AM PST

•  Yes they do in some places, that is the whole (1+ / 0-)
                    Laconic Lib

point.  Again, the only way to be sure is to never go above idle speed (5 mph) whenever there are ANY pedestrians within a thousand feet which means you will never get anywhere in a major city and probably get a ticket for going too slow (obstructing traffic) in the process.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 07:54:00 AM PST

•  I find cars jumping on people a (0+ / 0-)

far worse problem. Ask the one footed mom I met who had to throw her eight month old child from her arms to save his life, the one legged motorcyclist who failed despite all attempts to get away from the SUV, the family whose father was crushed against a mailbox, the family of the man cut in half a block from my accident three days later, the one foot former (too much pain to work) contractor turning left on his motorcycle as a car blew through the light, the family with one twin left. The first night I went out without a cane, as I crossed the street, in a crosswalk on the red light, a car blew through and missed me by seven inches, maybe. Unfortunately, I could only hit it with my hand; if I'd had my cane I would have smashed the window. I'm an aggressive pedestrian, still. A driver almost rolled into me a week ago as I crossed the street - on a red light in the crosswalk. I slapped his hood and continued, and he caught up with me to ream ME for hitting his car. Drivers spit on me on my bike, sped up pretending or actually trying to hit me, opened doors on me. I've heard similar from other bicyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians.
                      From the multiple, single theme comments you've put up, this seems to be a major subject for you, almost as much as pedestrian rights are for me. I understand there are people who are oblivious walking along and occasionally in, streets. The greater danger are car drivers who think they deserve more consideration than those walking or using alternate transportation. Their aggression to prove it, in discussions and on streets, is disturbing and wrong.

by cv lurking gf on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 08:26:42 AM PST

•  I can understand your frustration, (0+ / 0-)

The only thing I can think of to solve this problem is to change the wording of the laws.

I teach my kids the following:

Do not run out into traffic.
                  look both ways
                  Do not walk into a roadway from between cars if you can help it, because drivers cannot see you when when you start to get onto the road way.

Wear bright colors or reflective strips for visibility.

Take your time.

I understand that a lot of people simply aren't that courteous, but then again, if I had a nickle for every driver that almost hit me in a cross walk making a right turn on a red, I would be rich.