View Diary: Investing for the Wayne [LaPierre] 'Pocalypse (13 comments)

•  I have a colleague who was kidding (4+ / 0-)

about being a "Doomsday Prepper". He said that he was interested in the movement, but that his wife (a smart scientists) just rolled her eyes.

There are, unfortunately, people gearing up for "something", and there are many people making money off their fear... or paranoia.

Those who do not understand history are condemned to repeat it... in summer school.

by cassandracarolina on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 11:09:10 AM PST

•  I am disappointed. (4+ / 0-)

No, not at you my friend. I am devastated because I am still here and the Mayas blew this one, well, whoever started this silly rumor of doomsday.

I am disappointed because I think Hell is a better place than here as it stands today. I hear Señor Diablo holds some pretty hot parties and I was already packed...Bummer.

Hmm, perhaps, maybe I did die and am in Hell already!!!!

Nice diary Cassandracarolina, as always.

Old men tell same old stories

by Ole Texan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 11:47:19 AM PST

•  Somehow I have the feeling that Satan (4+ / 0-)

is looking at this mess and thinking he's out of a job. Who needs his services, when we can rely on people like Wayne LaPierre with his vision of turning our country into his own first-person-shooter game.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, my friend. I look forward to your diaries and comments in the coming year!

by cassandracarolina on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 11:56:20 AM PST

•  Reminds me of my "Good Omens" (3+ / 0-)
          cassandracarolina, Avila, Aunt Pat
          In the matter of Crowley's demonic achievements on earth, only one thing is entirely certain: he doesn't have the stomach for the sort of cruelties that, say, Duke Hastur is capable of (arson at Tadfield Manor [22]), or, more significantly, that humans are capable of (the Spanish Inquisition, the atrocities of which were enough to drive Crowley to drink for a week straight [19]). In Crowley's opinion, humans are far better at causing each other misery than Hell is, not least because "[t]hey've got imagination... [a]nd electricity, of course" (19). Besides, anyone capable of classifying Hieronymus Bosch as a "weirdo" must know what he's talking about. Hell is empty, and all the devils are here -- seeking asylum, it would seem, as we later discover when Aziraphale appears.

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 12:08:17 PM PST

•  all this time (2+ / 0-)
      cassandracarolina, Aunt Pat

i thought James W. Rawles was a writer of fiction, though i've only read a couple of his novels.  that it's actually a movement with estimated 3-4 million TEOTWAWKI preppers is more than a little bit surreal.  (i don't want to link directly, but SurvivalBlog is one of at least a hundred prepper blogs.)

Yes, we need to talk about this. Please sign the dKos Petition to start a national conversation about gun control.

by Avila on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 01:36:23 PM PST

•  My problem - or one of my problems - (3+ / 0-)
        Avila, Aunt Pat, shigeru

with the Prepper movement is the basic premise that the Prepper is somehow deserving of survival whatever the cost, and that everyone else is expendable. When you reach that level of disconnection, you're turning your back on humanity and embracing "self" as the highest priority.

I believe that we're all in this together, and that everyone's skills - whether hunting, farming, community organizing, writing, carpentry, cooking, nursing, fishing, construction, teaching, emergency response, ham radio operation, welding, psychiatry, plumbing, ditch digging, financial planning, sewing, or whatever else - will need to be brought to bear.

by cassandracarolina on Sat Dec 22, 2012 at 01:47:06 PM PST