View Diary: UPDATED: Idaho Senator Mike Crapo charged with drunken driving (157 comments)

•  Objectively speaking, how bad is a DUI? (3+ / 0-)
    Nulwee, RamblinDave, Sparhawk

How much does a DUI hurt a politician?  I don't know.  Any politician can be brought down by financial misconduct (bribery, etc.).  Republican politicians also seem vulnerable to what Republicans view as sexual "misconduct."

But I'm not sure about a DUI.  Especially if it's his first one and his blood alcohol isn't crazy high.  Along the lines of "I wasn't paying attention to how much I was drinking at the cocktail party, it'll never happen again).

I'm no fan of drunk drivers and yes, they can kill someone.  But I don't recall any politician getting into a lot of trouble professionally from this.

•  Probably he will get a 'slap on the wrist' (2+ / 0-)
      citizenx, Nulwee

but it is the hypocrisy that rings so loudly.  They think they are above the law until they get caught.

•  Well, he is supposed to be a practicing Mormon (14+ / 0-)

which means this could easily bring him down even if he only had a single beer and just had an unusually strong reaction to it.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 07:54:59 PM PST

•  This is true. I have no love for (1+ / 0-)
        milkbone

Idaho Repubs, but a BAC of .11% is not sloppy drunk, UNLESS he's not used to drinking.

The limit used to be .1%, until MADD got it reduced, and rightly so.

As a long-time recovering alcoholic, I believe this is probably mostly innocent consumption of a coupla beers.  Obviously, the decision to then drive home was a bad one.

This guy is being crucified for being a Republican in Idaho... not fair, IMO.  Nice to see so many self-righteous Kossacks throwing rocks at a guy who's already down.

Or as Jesus would say, "Let him who is without sin..." etc.

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Martin Luther King, Jr.

by ceebee7 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 03:09:06 AM PST

•  It's about the hypocrisy more than anything (2+ / 0-)
          coachster, Throw The Bums Out

I have never smoked pot, and don't plan to, but I don't go around advertising how wonderfully righteous I am for not doing so, or making lives miserable for those who do.

Like most Republicans, Crapo publicly thumps his chest about how straight and moral he is.  Since he does, the bar for criticism is far, far, lower.

"Le ciel est bleu, l'enfer est rouge."

by Buzzer on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 05:09:43 AM PST

•  1 AM, drunk, driving, runs red light (3+ / 0-)

in MY TOWN...fuck him - i'll bounce a big self-righteous rock off his right-wing family values noggin...61 years old? he's supposed to know better - if he's an addict, let him seek treatment now - i mean after he resigns

Coming Attraction: "Tea Party II - now with more stupid!"

by memofromturner on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 05:53:37 AM PST

•  He's a Mormon who said he doesn't drink... (5+ / 0-)

That's hypocritical, at minimum.
      Is this is first time drinking? How will his Mormon constituents feel about this?

I share a birthday with John Lennon and Bo Obama.

by peacestpete on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 08:19:40 PM PST

•  I wonder do Mormons stick to this publicly? (1+ / 0-)
        peacestpete

Undoubtedly there are plenty of them who do in fact drink alcohol (and coffee too) when they think they can get away with it. That's not really different from any other faith - I know a LOT more Catholics who had sex before marriage than didn't, for example - but I do wonder will it sway their votes, even if it's just in a GOP primary? IME Mormons are pretty good at sticking to the script on these things in public, even if they violate it in private. Which means he could be in serious trouble politically.

Certaines personnes disent qu'il y a une femme à blâmer, Mais je sais que c'est ma faute sacrément.

by RamblinDave on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 09:22:31 PM PST

•  A comparison: (10+ / 0-)

The former sheriff of Idaho's Lemhi County, Sam Slavin, a Lemhi native from an old ranching family, was arrested twice for DUI.

In between the arrests, Slavin was notably drunk while at the scene of a wilderness rescue. He was seen with a beer in his hand while driving the Sheriff's vehicle at that time.

Still another account had Slavin getting quite drunk at an Idaho Police Officer's Association meeting and driving afterward. Nothing ever came of this, and was considered only a rumor.

After the first DUI, he was ordered into rehab as part of his probation, but was re-elected a year later.

Nothing came of the second incident where he was seen on the job holding a beer.

The second DUI came after he was arrested while disturbing the peace about a year later; he was driving around in a mobile home court in the middle of the night, lights and siren going, and creating quite a ruckus.

When asked by the judge if he would continue to drink after this incident, Slavin said he would, and resigned his office within 24 hours. As far as I know, all he did was pay a fine after resigning.

That's how tough Idaho is on it's tippling officials.

I could relate the John McGee incident, but I'll only say it was more spectacular than Slavin's. I believe it was commented on here earlier this year.

Right many are called, and damn few are chosen.

by Idaho07 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 at 08:33:08 PM PST

•  I live in the area & aside from the embarrassment (3+ / 0-)
      Nulwee, foresterbob, RamblinDave

of arrest, he will get 30 days (suspended), a bit of probation, a restricted license for six months or a year and mandatory ASAP (alcohol counseling). So, yeah, a slap, pretty much.

I think most politicians could survive this fairly easily, especially since he was not blind drunk. But the hypocrisy is the killer here. I'm not sure how it plays from that standpoint.

•  That's not such a slap (4+ / 0-)

for working class people. The ASAP and court fees can be quite expensive. Not so much for a Congressman — for him it'll be a slap.

Woe betide him (and get out the popcorn) if he gets another, though; that has mandatory jail time in Virginia. (of course, for a Congressman... yeah.) Again, ordinary working people often end up serving jail on the weekends, so they can keep their jobs rather than take a nice long "vacation" and hope the job is still there when they get back. That adds a big chunk to the court fees, too, especially if the DUI did not happen near where you live and you need to serve the time closer to home.

(source: co-worker who got two DUIs. I suspect they don't even know if it'll stop a hard-core alcoholic from driving drunk; the punishment is meant to be an example to everyone else, and it's somewhat effective at that.)

•  Oh, I agree with you completely (3+ / 0-)
          Radiowalla, Calamity Jean, murrayewv

and I meant "slap" in terms of his probable wealth and ability to hire a good attorney. And take cabs and hire private drivers.

Of course, most working class people cannot do any of the above and the fines and mandatory counseling add up quickly. On the other hand, such an experience should dissuade most people from ever repeating the experience and getting a second DUI. Of course, I know most of this because my brother has an old high school buddy who was just released from prison after his fifth DUI. He had the ignition lock and simply asked willing bystanders to blow for him! You are quite correct that our system does little for people with true alcoholism and I'm sure, sadly, that he will soon be back in jail for a similar offense.

There is just no excuse for someone in Crapo's position, most likely a millionaire, to ever drive drunk. My husband and I are FAR from well-off, but if we have more than one drink, we call a damn taxi. We have a nine-year-old daughter and our reputations to think of.