View Diary: You'll soon find out if you were naughty or nice (94 comments)

•  I was naughty. (10+ / 0-)

On a positive side I am almost warm and I do have a roof over my head and plenty of supplies. On the negative side the wind chill is -15F, I am alone at home, 2 of my friends went to Vegas, the other one is tending to her son whose back went out, my parents are dead, my brother won't speak to me, I'm 55 and single and I am so miserable I am numb. I have nobody. No one. Dinner tonight? Leftover chicken soup and bread. Tomorrow? Fuck it.

"If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart."--Scrooge

by crose on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 05:22:56 PM PST

•  and here I was (5+ / 0-)

feeling bad that none of my friends have called me since the day after Thanksgiving... hope things look brighter.

Three presents left to wrap, then I'm hitting the Christmas spirits.

States' rights? Corporate rights? Militia rights? Government rights? Hell no! Only individuals have rights. Proud lifelong human supremacist.

by happymisanthropy on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 05:44:43 PM PST

•  Same here. (4+ / 0-)

Except it's about 50 (Los Angeles) and I don't have friends in Vegas that could on another day be with me.

The rest is familiar.

I did go out to the old P.O. box to pick up an Amazon order today and stopped on the way back to buy a salad for tonight.

The dogs have new beds.

They are laying on the couch and chair.

Lifetime movies are SO lame.

Time for salad.

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Barack Obama

by delphine on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 06:10:48 PM PST

•  OH my - you wake up the nurse here (6+ / 0-)

So I do what nurses do and give you the mix of what you might want and what I think you need.
      I feel deeply the pain that I hear in your comment.  I think you are in real distress and that distresses me.  I'm lucky enough to have people I care about and who care about me - I have my own problems, as we all do, but they feel light most of the time compared to the heaviness I feel in your comment.  I wish hugs could travel over the internet and that I could fold you into a big one - but no such luck.
      So, let me say first that, like the popular message to gay teens, "It gets better!"  Life can change much for the better and the pain you feel now does not have to be forever.
      And now, let me give you just that little bit of tough love that us nurses know how to give: the surest way to be loved is to give love.  The best way to find what you need is to stop looking for what you need and find a way to give someone else what they need.  There are people near you who are worse off than you are.  Poorer, more lonely, less happy.  I guarantee it.  The biggest step you can take to find happiness is to seek out those people - even just one of them - and see what you can do to make their life a little better.  Even if they seem unlovely and unlovable, seek them out and do what you can for them.  You may find them worth knowing.  Or you may cross paths with someone else who is out there trying to help who is worth knowing.
      I won't fatuously wish you Merry Christmas, but I will hope for a happier new year.
      Best
      David

"Wouldn't you rather vote for what you want and not get it than vote for what you don't want - and get it?" Eugene Debs. "Le courage, c'est de chercher la verite et de la dire" Jean Jaures

by Chico David RN on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 06:25:05 PM PST

•  Thanks for the comments, (3+ / 0-)

all of you. I know there are people worse off than me because I try to help them every day. And although I might get a little bit of verbal appreciation once in a while, well, sometimes that isn't enough. I think there are people who just aren't ever going to be lovable or loved. That's the way the world works. I'm sorry. I'm tired.

by crose on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 06:59:21 PM PST

•  You. are. Lovable. (0+ / 0-)

If you weren't you wouldn't be here a vital part of this community, reaching out, giving, caring, fighting for causes you believe in.

Christmas and all those expectations and losses can make you tired.  Sweet dreams tonight, and I hope you wake refreshed and able to catch some small joy in your basket tomorrow. If nothing else, take a long walk, notice the beauty around you wherever it might be. Walk till your legs are tired and your eyes are full of the life around you.

No lecture intended here, but I just don't want to believe there isn't something about tomorrow that could be a pleasure, no matter how small it is.  Small joys prove joy is possible, and then the task is to figure out how to grow them.

Blessings and LOVE to you.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 08:42:31 PM PST

•  Christmas is tough (0+ / 0-)

when the chips are down.  But the good news is, it will be over in the blink of an eye, and all of our expectations of merriment can recede to a nice normal day.

I am blessed with family, just back from Christmas Eve dinner and full as a tic.  But I can remember years that no amount of family could make me feel less lonely.

Wishing you a ray of happiness and love tomorrow, crose, just when you least expected it.  And if it doesn't come, hold on.  I really do believe it's on its way.

by StellaRay on Mon Dec 24, 2012 at 08:28:40 PM PST