View Diary: Town's Gun Owners Outraged That Everyone In Town Knows They May Own A Gun (356 comments)

•  That's why I like open carry (1+ / 0-)
    Mister T

Gives you a chance to decide for yourself if you trust that person, instead of that freedom being taken away from you by that person and the law that allows them to sneak around with their gun, hiding it from everyone else.

Women create the entire labor force. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sympathy is the strongest instinct in human nature. - Charles Darwin

by splashy on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 04:18:50 PM PST

•  If I don't know that person, (0+ / 0-)

on what basis can I make that judgment?   As I discussed with debedb above, if I don't know him and don't trust him, does the government have a role in keeping me free from that uncertainty and intimidation?

"It is not, you fucking liberal prick." ..My RW friend Dave's last words to me.

by rb608 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 05:09:22 PM PST

•  No, it is not the Governments job to make you feel (2+ / 0-)
        valion, rockhound

anything in any way....

What the hell has happened to our country that you would even suggest such a thing.........

They dont even have an obligation to keep you physically safe, see Castle Rock v Gonzales, how do you think they have any duty to your state of mind?

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
        I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
        Emiliano Zapata

by buddabelly on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:24:41 PM PST

•  I think we may be looking at (0+ / 0-)

two different "feelings".   I don't suggest a government role in my "touchy-feeley" feelings, BUT when one citizen materially affects another citizen's freedom to act, the government does indeed have a role as arbiter of whose rights trump whose and whether the citizen's fears are reasonable within societal norms.   If I "feel" intimidated by a stranger entering my personal space with a loaded weapon, and I "feel" I need to alter my behavior as a result, then yes, the government in a civilized society does have a role in how I feel.  That is, in fact, a primary function of a government IMO.

"It is not, you fucking liberal prick." ..My RW friend Dave's last words to me.

by rb608 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 09:00:31 AM PST

•  Hey black people (1+ / 0-)
        Americantrueandblue

commit many more crimes than their percent of the population would predict. I think we need to control, evict and be afraid of them as well. And the government needs to help.

•  That's the point (0+ / 0-)

If you don't know them, then you are likely to leave the area they are in. That's the freedom you have, to go to another place.

by splashy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 07:49:19 PM PST

•  No. Hell no. (0+ / 0-)

I should not have to leave where I am or wish to be because of an uninvited threat to my life.  That is not the America I believe should exist.

"It is not, you fucking liberal prick." ..My RW friend Dave's last words to me.

by rb608 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 at 07:55:45 PM PST