View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Two economic charts from the real world (95 comments)

•  Hormel Endorses Hagel (7+ / 0-)

For all I know this may not be news to folks here:

(After all it is a few days old)

Senator Hagel’s apology is significant–I can’t remember a time when a potential presidential nominee apologized for anything. While the timing appears self-serving, the words themselves are unequivocal–they are a clear apology. Since 1998, fourteen years have passed, and public attitudes have shifted–perhaps Senator Hagel has progressed with the times, too. His action affords new stature to the LGBT constituency, whose members still are treated as second class citizens in innumerable ways. Senator Hagel stated in his remarks that he was willing to support open military service and LGBT military families. If that is a commitment to treat LGBT service members and their families like everybody else, I would support his nomination.

~ James Hormel
    WaPo

I was troubled when I saw Rachel Maddow's rant against Hagel who I admire for his honesty about the Iraq War.

I did some follow up today & was pleased to see Hormel's support for Hagel to lead DoD.

```
    peace

"There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people." — Howard Zinn

by peace voter on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 08:37:12 PM PST

•  A Democrat would be nice (10+ / 0-)

How a Democrat nominating a Republican helps discredit the claim that Democrats are "weak on national security," I'm still trying to figure out.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 08:43:20 PM PST

•  Well sure... (4+ / 0-)

I suppose - but Hagel did endorse President Obama over John McCain - he did break rank from all the blood thirsty war mongers - Do you have any specific Democrat s in mind for the position?

````
        peace

by peace voter on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 08:46:22 PM PST

•  Others around here have mentioned (4+ / 0-)

a couple names, but I'm not going to parrot those, because I haven't researched the topic enough to form my own opinion, but I can't imagine not a single qualified Democrat exists.

Doesn't really matter much anyway, I doubt the President will be calling me for my short list.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:00:46 PM PST

•  Fair enough (1+ / 0-)
            bigjacbigjacbigjac

Were you paying attention to Hagel in 2007?

I was - and I was grateful and impressed:

```
            peace

by peace voter on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:12:31 PM PST

•  No. I wasn't paying attention to him in 2007. (4+ / 0-)

He was just as Republican then as he is now. If he didn't really mean his vote, maybe he should have given more consideration to the consequences of that vote beforehand, instead of after the irreparable damage had be done.

I'm a Democrat who simply would prefer my Democratic President to nominate a qualified member of the same party.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:37:19 PM PST

•  I've done no research on this man, (2+ / 0-)
              Pluto, Leo Flinnwood

and maybe I'm talking out my ass,
              but what the hell,
              it's just a comment on a blog:

I live in Kansas.

I see Hagel is from Nebraska.

Here in Kansas,
              many of the conservatives
              are so radical,
              such as the Koch brothers,
              that fairly often,
              a reasonable man or woman
              who's been a lifelong Republican,
              from a Republican family,
              will change parties,
              and join sane,
              sensible,
              Democrats.

Parkinson entered Kansas politics as a Republican in 1990. He served in the Kansas state house from 1991-1992 and the Kansas State Senate from 1993-1997. From 1999-2003, he was Chairman of the Kansas Republican Party. In 2004, he served as chairman of the Shawnee Area Chamber of Commerce board.
              On May 31, 2006, Governor Kathleen Sebelius announced that Parkinson had switched parties and was her running mate for her re-election campaign, succeeding retiring lieutenant governor John E. Moore (also a former Republican who had switched parties shortly before he joined a ticket with Sebelius).

Really,
              Sarah Palin was right,
              in my opinion,
              about the concept of
              the real America,
              middle America,
              working class America,
              folks who can actually
              see truth
              outside any party's
              rigid, hard line.

Seems to me.

Our President pointed this out
              when he appointed Kathleen Sebelius
              as head of Health and Human Services.

Our president was raised by two Kansans,
              his grandparents
              on his mother's side.

•  Jim Webb, Carl Levin, Lawrence Korb, (0+ / 0-)

Fred Kaplan. And that's without even delving into the kinds of leftie Party members I'd prefer.

If you're a peace voter, I'd think you'd be against reinforcing the idea that only Republicans can run DoD.

"The Democratic Party is not our friend: it is the only party we can negotiate with."

by 2020adam on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 08:46:45 AM PST

•  a non-neocon, and there are Democrats, (3+ / 0-)
        dkosdan, Sarenth, 2020adam

too, who buy the whole Permanent War Formerly Known as On Terror, and everything which goes with it...

that would be remarkable. If the President went with that, it would be a real proof, imo, of getting serious about ending the long national suicide we've been playing at for at least a decade.

(In fact, almost a century, but the neo-con iteration, almost completely delusional about the world, is like a gun at our head with all chambers loaded.)

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:52:33 PM PST

•  Hagel's honesty about Iraq took him... (16+ / 0-)

...a rather long time, especially for someone with such an intimate knowledge of another ginned up war in which a lot of people killed and got killed because Congress was filled with cowards and the White House with liars.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:09:40 PM PST

•  there's plenty of blame to go around (10+ / 0-)

Some of us thought that winning back the House would bring an end to funding that ginned up war - but as you probably recall Speaker Pelosi dashed our hopes by taking that prospect "off the table".

When it comes to war - far too many Democrats go along to get along - squandering the people's hard earned treasure on what seems like perpetual war.

````
        peace

by peace voter on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:27:15 PM PST

•  I don't disagree. n/t (7+ / 0-)

by Meteor Blades on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:52:20 PM PST

•  why mince your words?... (0+ / 0-)

...Pelosi and Reid threw the anti-war wing of the party under the bus. I recall writing 2 diaries about their capitulation in the summer of 2007. It was really a very disappointing time for most of us here. Pelosi tried to put lipstick on that pig, but I never got over her betrayal to this day. And Reid, he was just so hard to love. History was on our side then. We could've brought BushII to heel, and stopped the madman's agenda of perpetual war dead in its tracks. I found myself asking time and again, why did we work so hard to get a Dem majority in 2006, just so we could stand by and watch as it all went up in smoke? Life very seldom gives 2nd chances to do the right thing for your country. They blew the best majority we will probably ever have. Just to make a constitution-shredding, mass murdering, war mongering, war criminal happy. I'd love to be a fly in the room, when BushII told them, "If you bring me down, I'll bring all of you who signed on and gave me the AUMF down in flames with me".

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way." John Paul Jones

by ImpeachKingBushII on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 01:03:09 AM PST

•  So many others taking so much longer (3+ / 0-)
        bigjacbigjacbigjac, dkosdan, Pluto

and still not there, though.

I wonder with Hagel -- and wasn't he the guy who owned the voting machine company which counted black districts in Nebraska for him, giving him his upset victory? -- if he possibly developed a conscience while it office.

It could happen.

The Internet is just the tail of the Corporate Media dog.

by Jim P on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:58:20 PM PST

•  This is remarkable in it's simplicity and is so to (0+ / 0-)

the point:

<... blockquote>a lot of people killed and got killed because Congress was filled with cowards and the White House with liars.Wow.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 04:48:20 AM PST

•  Not sure what happened to that poor blockquote: (0+ / 0-)
          I think it was the three dots before the quote?

Anyway, brilliant.

by cany on Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 04:50:56 AM PST

•  Does anyone care that Hagel (6+ / 0-)

had a ZERO rating from NARAL when he was in the senate?
      Has he changed his mind about a woman's right to make her own decisions about reproduction?

I'm delighted that Hagel has evolved on LGBT issues, but what about women's reproductive rights?  Is he still the same troglodyte?

It bothers me immensely that a cabinet member could hold such extreme views.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 09:20:10 PM PST

•  I'm really not keeping up. (4+ / 0-)
      the good witch, Pluto, Sarenth, JeffW

I thought sure you meant
      a ham making company