View Diary: Gun Control in a Technical Way (42 comments)

•  There are 283 million firearms in the US (8+ / 0-)

already.

What's your plan for those?

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:17:43 AM PST

•  Retrofit? (1+ / 0-)
      bhut jolokia

I realize that it's not a cure all, but it's a start.  All registered guns could be retrofitted?  Just think of all the jobs this could help create.

•  Isn't that like saying (4+ / 0-)

we shouldn't pursue cancer treatments because it doesn't cure all cancers?

I am not sure that is the best analogy, but the idea that 'there are already some many guns out there, so what is the use in doing anything' has always seemed bogus to me. You have to start somewhere.

Guns are inherently unsafe. I haven't been able to find it again, but Glenn Beck's bodyguard once said that he doesn't own a gun because they are an unsafe product. I think there is a technological solution to making guns safer. I do not know enough about guns to answer that question.

Maybe something like requiring a ring or glove that is required to shot a gun? If you don't have both, the gun doesn't fire? I am open to ideas, and I for one welcome micwazoo's suggestion.

For the short term, I propose FIVE round clips and no grandfather clause. The grandfather clause is why the last assault weapon ban failed. Don't ban descriptions of guns, because you can make a gun that is an gram lighter than the banned one just as powerful. Or a barrel a millimeter shorter or longer they does as much damage as the banned gun.

Ban the clips. Five shots, no grandfather clause.

It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America. - Molly Ivins

by se portland on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:48:08 AM PST

•  And you're going to collect these...how? (7+ / 0-)

They're not registered. There's no record that I own anything like that.

Though I'd love to point out that if you ban things that hold more than 5 rounds, you're also banning revolvers...

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:53:29 AM PST

•  I never said we are going to collect them (2+ / 0-)
          bhut jolokia, Creosote

Whether I like it or not, the Supreme Court ruled that gun ownership for protection is a Constitutional right. You can keep your guns KVoimakas.

I said 'clips'. I know there are six shooters. I know there are rifles that can hold more that five rounds without a clip. All I am saying is that if you ban 60 round clips, lives will be saved. It is not going to cure all cancers, but if it saves one child, we have made a start.

by se portland on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:04:58 AM PST

•  Collect the magazines. (4+ / 0-)

How are you going to enforce a ban on 60 round magazines?

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:22:32 AM PST

•  Sorry. I realized what you where (1+ / 0-)
              bhut jolokia

saying even before you replied.

You can't collect all the magazines. But you can outlaw the sale, transfer and use of them.  How many sawed off shotguns do you see lately, and that is technologically easy?

Remember, that most of the mass shootings of late have been with legally bought guns. If even only some of the responsible gun owners comply with the law, the stock pile of these magazines declines. They are mechanical devices and fail over time.

No one has still answered my concern that because we can't stop all mass shooting we should not even try to stop any.

We can lockup all mentally impaired people we think MIGHT start shooting people, but I think that raises other Constitutional concerns, no?

Really, what is this resistance to simple doable bans on high capacity magazines? Why are you going out of your way to defend them?

by se portland on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:42:30 AM PST

•  One way (3+ / 0-)

would be to buy back and then move their possession into the same category as owning a machine gun. Without the proper license that is something like 10 years to possess, 10 years to fire, 10 years to buy, 10 years to sell. You don't see them used in crimes anymore.

That said, I will not support a 5 round limit. There are revolvers out there with up to 8 rounds. There are many guns out there that sold with 10 round magazines. It is the most remembered number from the expired '94 AWB. Going from 10 rounds down to 8 rounds would effect many times as many magazines.

I can support a 10 round limit. I own 2 firearms that came with 10 round magazines but can support larger magazines. I have declined to buy larger magazines for them. I have always felt that part of the '94 AWB was reasonable.  I know I will catch hell from some of the RKBA group for my position. I catch hell from the other side because of my dim view of attempts to ban so called assault weapons (whose definition.)

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt

by notrouble on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:46:08 AM PST

•  Issue a recall. Make it manditory. (1+ / 0-)
              se portland
              How are you going to enforce a ban on 60 round magazines?
        •  Issue a recall. Make it manditory. (1+ / 0-)
          se portland
          And you're going to collect these...how?

• Recommended (143)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (27)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Culture (25)
  • Media (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site