View Diary: Here's what I hear "It's going to cost your family twice as much to eat next year" (479 comments)

•  "can"? (6+ / 0-)

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 11:20:31 AM PST

•  Can or can't, will not happen (12+ / 0-)

The government has not purchased milk for years. If there is no new version of the farm bill passed, the government will simply drag their feed and not buy the milk.

Milk will find its own price on the market, and it will not be a doubling. The media loves to Moo loudly and scare the folks over everything and over nothing.

However, there will be a substantial increase in the cost of food next year. All of the dry weather in the US farming areas means that there will be less food available. Hence the demand will increase prices.

War is costly. Peace is priceless!

by frostbite on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 03:59:41 PM PST

•  Milk would spoil on the shelves ... (4+ / 0-)

The dairy industry knows this, and there have been a few "milk spikes" over the last couple of years in various areas, $6.50 a gallon last time - they lost money over it then too.

Milk is not the greatest issue now - the threat to our national "bread basket" is much worse - and beyond the Congress to "fix".

Next comes meat prices - all thanks to the drought.

Thank climate change.

If not us ... who? If not here ... where? If not now ... when?

by RUNDOWN on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 07:15:22 PM PST

•  I'd love to see the price of milk double. (5+ / 0-)

It would be a win-win-win-win.

Win for public health. Consuming animal milk products is culprit number one in the obesity epidemic. The American physical addiction to casein (and its constituent, caseinomorphine) makes tobacco and alcohol addictions look like blips on the graph.

Win for planetary health. Dairy farming is one of the absolutely most environmentally-destructive of all industries. If this is news to you, then you'll have fun learning about CAFOs, or giggling at cow fart jokes until you realize how much worse methane is over carbon dioxide for global warming.)

Win for animals suffering from one of the few industries more cruel than the meat industry. I've heard it directly from the mouth of a former dairy farmer, who came from multi-generational dairy farming family. And well documented.

And there are plenty, plenty, plenty more wins from rising dairy prices.

Personally, I haven't had even 1 cup of milk in the past 29 years. One of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. If I can break the addiction, you can too.

#3: ensure network neutrality; #2: ensure electoral integrity; #1: ensure ecosystemic sustainability.

by ivote2004 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 07:25:47 PM PST

•  I agree it's a win-win (1+ / 0-)
          SparkyGump

But it is sad this is what it might take to get people off milk. If people knew how much cow pus was in it, they'd stop drinking it. If milk goes up so high, so will all dairy products, such as cheese, so it would be great if people would search for healthier choices. Dairy products are poison, and milk should only be consumed by baby mammals.

•  Thanks for your comment and support (0+ / 0-)

I agree with all of what you wrote:

I agree it's a win-win (1+ / 0-)

.... except for half of one sentence:
            But it is sad this is what it might take to get people off milk.
            Yes, it's a sad commentary on humanity and people being set in their ways and slow to change....

but, No, I'm not sad about people getting off milk because prices go up -- cost going up is actually a pretty gradual and gentle way to wean consumers from the toxic teat.

by ivote2004 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:17:48 PM PST

•  I can't live without it. (2+ / 0-)
          agent, indubitably

I cook with it, and my SO was raised on a dairy farm and drinks more milk in a week than a family of four.

At night, I awaken at night with my throat closed and dry, unable to breathe despite my humidifier on at full tilt.  A sip of that viscous milk soothes my throat and coats it like water never could and allows me to go back to sleep.

As for the dairy industry, I'm in full agreement.  I would like people to return as much as possible to gardening their veggies, enjoying their hens and raising their own milk cows.  Our problem, where I live, is that grizzlies don't give cows much of a chance, and goats even less so.

The trend in this nation for decades, if not centuries, has been mass production of our food.  It's highly inefficient and less nutritious than local fare.  There is a point of diminishing returns, and we have exceeded it.  It only persists because someone is making a profit.

We the people, have to take it back.  Gardening takes years, but chickens can live on kitchen and garden scraps and don't need anti-biotic laden food for all time.  Let the weak die, keep the strong.

But please, let me have my milk.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth - Abraham Lincoln

by Gustogirl on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 09:15:03 PM PST

•  Yes, you can live without it -- and much better! (0+ / 0-)

Your throat being closed and dry, and your humidifier on full tilt, are both symptoms that you have seriously misdiagnosed your problems.

When junkies come down from their fix, they feel horrible. When they get a new fix, they feel better.

Study up on casomorphin; I promise you can have a life-changing experience, for the better.

Agreed: clean local organic real food production is vastly better than industrial mass production of what they market as "food".

But there are whole other dimensions to the issue, and I'd suggest this as a place to learn about them:

by ivote2004 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 10:16:57 PM PST

•  I would agree, but I'm well past (0+ / 0-)

menopause and into the age of osteoporosis.  Not many sources of calcium outside of milk (and that gets taken with calcium supplements, too).

I was never much of a milk drinker - used on cereal - so it generally went bad in the fridge.  Until my GYN doctor (yes, I have one now since my D+C) had a talk with me about osteoporosis.

Kids need it and us older (heh) women.  So 7 buck milk is going to hit the Social Security Which Doesn't Buy Much In The First Place generation hard.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 10:43:08 PM PST

•  My dear ivote, I truly think you're wrong. (1+ / 0-)
          indubitably

There is a big batch of theory,
          with nothing behind it,
          telling folks to stop eating certain things,
          such as cheese,
          but I don't hear those folks telling me
          what to eat as my energy food,
          when carbohydrates,
          on an empty stomach,
          make me very ill.

I need a high fat diet,
          and I need animal protein.

And culprit number one
          in the obesity epidemic
          is carbohydrates.

Fruit,
          vegetables,
          and whole grains,
          are
          carbs,
          carbs,
          and carbs.

My mother died of type II diabetes.

I eat a lot of carbs,
          but only with a high dose
          of fat,
          along with a healthy dose
          of animal protein.

Anyone worried about cruelty
          to animals
          can raise chickens or ducks,
          and eat lots of eggs.

I intend to build a chicken coop
          in the spring,
          and maybe get two ducks.

I will live to be 90 years old,
          on a high fat
          and animal protein
          diet.

Just watch me.

•  I gave up milk a while ago too. (0+ / 0-)

I don't miss it one bit. If you consume milk, you support the veal industry. Cows give milk the same reason humans do; because they have given birth or about to. I can't enable the veal industry no matter how yummy ice cream is.

•  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (0+ / 0-)

Didn't remember to come back here in time to be able to rec your comment.

But thank you so much for being committed to what is healthy, humane, and responsible.

by ivote2004 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:12:13 PM PST

• Law (19)
  • Media (19)
  • 2016 (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site