View Diary: My childhood best friend, David, died of AIDS (160 comments)

•  My father had done a lot of work for (14+ / 0-)

medical journals, and one called Medical Tribune came to the house regularly.  It was there I learned that condoms seemed to be holding the spread of AIDs at bay, and immediately informed the friend I mention in my comment below.

Astonishing how slowly that information got out to the public.

"Throwing a knuckleball for a strike is like throwing a butterfly with hiccups across the street into your neighbor's mailbox." -- Willie Stargell

by Yasuragi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:00:58 AM PST

•  Specifically condoms with the spermicide... (5+ / 0-)

nonoxyl-9 were the most effective at preventing transmission. Noticing that was a big step.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:14:28 PM PST

•  When my daughter was 13 or 14 (4+ / 0-)

it was start of school 1987 or 88, I bought a box of condoms and a tube of spermicide w/ nonoxynol-9 and put it in her underwear drawer. I had already had the talk with her, but figured her being prepared and protected was the most important thing I could do. A matter of life and death.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:45:26 PM PST

•  Indeed, good on you. I gave my teen cousin a box, (5+ / 0-)

a big box, of condoms the Christmas his older brother knocked up his girlfriend because their father refused to talk to him about being responsible. Took him outside to give it to him so he woudn't be any more embarrassed than necessary and told him that I didn't care if he passed them around or used most of them for water balloons as long as he practiced enough to be able to use them when he needed them. His brother's situation really brought it home and he seemed to be open to the thought. So far so good, ten years on. ;-)

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 05:58:05 PM PST

•  My good friend up in Idaho (4+ / 0-)

had a son, a single child like my daughter (they were and still are good friends) she always had a box of condoms at her house for him and all of his friends. She felt like we do about but knew that some of the boy's parents would never even discuss it with them. She didn't hand them out, she just left them out in plain sight.

by high uintas on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:17:13 PM PST

•  I suggested that to my uncle, a big brandy snifter (4+ / 0-)

or bowl with condoms in it somewhere they could dip in and snag them without being embarrassed. That way he could have kept dodging conversations but still made the expectation for responsible behavior obvious. ::sigh::

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:40:40 PM PST

•  I just signed up for the Center for Biological (3+ / 0-)
              blue jersey mom, high uintas, wbr

Diversity's condom distribution program.  (Sorry, I don't have the link.)  I figure it's a combination of two of my major causes, so what if I get crosses burned on my lawn for corrupting the locals?  ;)

by Yasuragi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:41:58 PM PST

•  Good on ya! (2+ / 0-)
                Yasuragi, blue jersey mom

If you're worried about it, you can always do what my Idaho friend did. I made sure that daughter always had enough to spread around her friends, but still one of her friends did get pregnant when she was a junior in HS. Thank gawd that pregnant was all she got.

I am happy to say that after a rough start she has landed on her feet, she's a professional woman who is married with other children and her son is now in college. I got their Xmas card with his picture and realized again that I am old. Like a tortoise.

by high uintas on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 08:06:25 PM PST

•  Good for you, high uintas. (2+ / 0-)
          blue jersey mom, high uintas

I can imagine she may have been horrified, but it was a terrific thing for you to do.

by Yasuragi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:39:44 PM PST

•  I knew that she was a smart and responsible girl (2+ / 0-)
            Yasuragi, blue jersey mom

But, who wants to go tell their mom that they are feeling horny right now? After they had been there for awhile I told her that when the time came that she wanted to go on the pill we could make an appointment. That time did come but I think it was easier on both of us to do it that way.

She grew up around many of my friends that we lost to AIDS, she knew what she and all young, sexually active people were facing from seeing people literally wither away in front of her. It was a terrible time and I made no move to shield her from what she had to learn.

She also saw the good things tho, we had friends who became a committed couple at the same time mr.u and I did, the same day in fact. April 5, 1974. They were together for 34yrs when one of them got cancer and passed away. My daughter knew from a very young age that being straight didn't mean narrow.

by high uintas on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 08:19:56 PM PST