View Diary: Regarding Guns... (95 comments)

•  Obviously this is not a serious discussion... (6+ / 0-)

or else it wouldn't start out by essentially saying that opposing viewpoints are limited.

What a lot of the people on this site don't seem to realize or care to acknowledge is that any serious discussion about this issue, including the drastic changes proposed in this diary, are not going to occur in a vacuum.

Basically, you're writing a sermon and searching for a choir to preach it to.  That's not all that had to do a round here, lately, but it doesn't make for any converts.

"I was so easy to defeat, I was so easy to control, I didn't even know there was a war." -9.75, -8.41

by RonV on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 01:00:08 PM PST

•  Are you the designated RKBA member for today? (7+ / 0-)

"Not going to occur in a vacuum" here generally means a long digression into mental health and better security and more people allowed to carry that crowds out the reforms that would have lessened the damage at Newtown and Tuscon.

It's a way to avoid the fact that people kill people, and they usually use a gun to do it. Licensing would go a LONG way to help solve the problem.

Trust me, no one is looking for converts here.

-7.75, -8.10; Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Dave in Northridge on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 01:15:59 PM PST

•  shorter: "herp a derp a derp." (0+ / 0-)
      •  Apparently... (2+ / 0-)
        VClib, ancblu

not only are you not looking for converts, you are not  looking for real solutions either.

by RonV on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:22:19 PM PST

•  I can't convert the delusional. (2+ / 0-)

I can convert those who want this madness to end.

So are you delusional, or do you actually want people to stop being murdered by guns every day?

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." - Hubert Humphrey

by Killer of Sacred Cows on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:35:26 PM PST

•  Why don't you just ask me... (1+ / 0-)
            ancblu

if I still beat my wife, or some other logical fallacy? Asking such loaded questions is further indication of the inability to discuss this realistically. Thanks for proving my point.

by RonV on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:45:29 PM PST

•  What are your proposals (1+ / 0-)
              DefendOurConstitution

to end gun violence that don't involve arming the entire citizenry to the teeth? I'm quite serious.

Those who are gun nuts (aka "you will pry them from my cold, dead hands" crowd) are delusional. Are you delusional, or reasonable?

by Killer of Sacred Cows on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:56:22 PM PST

•  I would go for more far reaching solutions to... (0+ / 0-)

violence in America. Such as ending the war on drugs and working toward economic equality.

But shorter term band aids, and (IMHO) far less effective steps would include limited capacity magazines. Although there are so many out there now that implementation of such a restriction would be problematic.  Tighter restrictions on firearms purchasing. Limiting the numbers of weapons purchases per transaction, and/or federal notification and tracking of such purchases.

There may be more, but being barred from discussing the established constitutional issues involved definitely limits the discussion.

Banning all firearms, or establishing lists and overall registration are most likely going nowhere.  The insurance thing? Not likely to happen either.  Although the insurance companies would love it.

by RonV on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:33:58 PM PST

•  If you want to end violence... (0+ / 0-)

Ban drone bombs.

•  KoSC "delusional"? (0+ / 0-)

When someone writes about what could be accomplished politically given that the GOP controls the House, and many Democratic members of the House and Senate are strong supporters of gun ownership, they are delusional? It seems to be that they are being pragmatic.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:11:33 PM PST

•  Then where do you propose a "serious" (3+ / 0-)

discussion start? Or is it automatically NOT serious if someone states that their opinion is that it would be best if we just not have guns?

No one here thinks that guns are going to be banned outright, or that we're going to repeal the second. But is it now even "not serious" to discuss our own thoughts and opinions? And do one of you have to jump in to scream "CONSTITUTION" in every attempt to have a discussion?

You think THAT is going to help?

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 02:36:39 PM PST