View Diary: Krugman smacks deficit hawks & points out deceit (81 comments)

•  Unfortunately (5+ / 0-)
    Just Bob, saluda, opinionated, Anna M, David PA

It would have been necessary to rewrite the bill excluding members of congress from federal workers overall. And correct me if I'm wrong, but federal workers haven't had a raise in three years.

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 03:14:48 AM PST

•  Yes, their pay has been frozen since 2009... (11+ / 0-)

But rewriting the bill to exclude Congress from the pay raises wouldn't have been difficult at all.

It's no excuse. They did it behind closed doors to keep the public en masse from finding out about it. Although the number is admittedly small for both, more everyday Americans watch "C-Span" than read "The Hill."

I'm just sorry POTUS went along with it.

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history." ~ Aldous Huxley

by markthshark on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 03:43:20 AM PST

•  OTOH - the raise they are receiving in (2+ / 0-)
        VA Breeze, doingbusinessas

Congress makes them look like assholes given the fact that they have worked less than any congress since the 40s and are currently trying to protect the top two percent from a tax cut that they don't even notice while posing a very real threat to the day-to-day lives of 98% of Americans.

•  Really? (0+ / 0-)

You realize the bill would have had to come out of the House, right?

by skohayes on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 12:57:13 PM PST

•  So what? (0+ / 0-)

They get paid well and have excellent benes.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 08:34:58 AM PST

•  This Bit Of Righty Propaganda... (0+ / 0-)

...didn't QUITE earn a donut, but walk carefully off that thin ice....

On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass.

by stevemb on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 08:43:37 AM PST

•  No it isn't. (0+ / 0-)

I used to work for the fed gov years ago and could kick myself endlessly for ever leaving that job.  And I've been trying to get hired again at the state or federal level because the salaries are good [mid-level accounting].

It was well paid and had great bene's.  Yet all of my coworkers whined incessantly about the 'lousy' pay.

It's a myth that government workers don't get paid well that government workers have been pushing for years and years.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 09:15:50 AM PST

•  Depends. (1+ / 0-)
            skohayes

I just left a government tech job and got about a 40% pay increase with similar benefits in my new similar role.

•  I'm sure that happens. (0+ / 0-)

There are wide ranges of salaries out there.

For example, a senior legislative auditor with the State only makes about 48,000 per year [starting salary]!!!, while Auditor III in other departments have a starting sallary of 57,000.

Same thing in the private sector--you can find a huge range of salaries for somehwhat similar types of jobs.

I do find it hard to believe that your private sector job has equivalent bene's, but then again, government has been wacking the bene's too.  Usually government retirement plans easily outpace private sector--assuming government funds its plans.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:42:47 AM PST

•  Although, I can't (0+ / 0-)

say that I would object to raises for the lower paid gov workers [maybe lower than median, if there was a cutoff established].

But for people making 50+ per year, forget it. [and that would include me, if I had a gov job].

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney