View Diary: Farm bill still languishes in House, despite House/Senate committee agreement (118 comments)

•  Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Coconut Milk. (5+ / 0-)

are a hundred times better for you than diary milk.
    or dairy milk for that matter.
    coconut milk tastes better, is healthier, has more more calcium and vitamins than cows milk, and is less fattening. and is extracted without pain.
    so no one has to pay eight dollars a gallon for anything.
      but this will also be worked out in the end anyway.
    so the panic button can be disabled.

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:21:23 AM PST

•  Ew (1+ / 0-)
      Le Gauchiste

I'll drink water first.

Filibuster reform now. No more Gentleman's agreements.

by bear83 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:27:09 AM PST

•  Those names are such marketing b.s. (1+ / 0-)
      Eyesbright

None of those products are milk. Period. We don't have orange milk or cranberry milk because it would be confusing. In fact, some people actually believe that those almond, soy and coconut juices are actual milk from a cow.

Second, those almond, soy and coconut juices are disgusting to drink. Terrible mouthfeel, taste, everything. Of course, that's just my opinion, but marketing that crap deceptively as "milk" is just another example of how capitalism works by confusing consumers.

"Karl Marx and Frederick Engels came to the checkout at the 7-11 Marx was skint - but he had sense Engels lent him the necessary pence What have we got? Yeh-o, magnificence!!" (The Clash, 1976-1983)

by Le Gauchiste on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:45:47 AM PST

•  They are milk replacements (3+ / 0-)
        MPociask, pistolSO, progressivevoice

And can be used for everything milk is used for...as a vegan the meat and dairy cliffs are bad for those that consume them but much like tobacco why should the government subsidize something that may cause cancer (casein.)

Born in TN-05 and Live in TN-05, Went to college in TN-09 and TN-06, Married in IA-02.

by zakandsantos on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 11:56:12 AM PST

•  You sound like a dairy industry spokesperson (3+ / 0-)

They say the same things.

I have never met anyone ever that thought something called Soy Milk came from a cow.  I would have to question why they bought a far more expensive product, that frequently talks about how the soy beans it comes from are grown organically on the box (thanks Silk).

They function as milk in recipes that call for it, and personally I find soy milk a delicious thing to drink (I prefer the unsweetened kind, but they have other flavors available as well).  Rice milk is a little thin to me, and coconut milk tastes too much like coconut to just drink, but to say they are disgusting is just wrong.

The dairy industry is a great example of how capitalism works.  First, make a product that not that many people use (dairy farmers).  Second, buy the government.  Third, have the government tell dairy is an essential food group, while directing massive subsidies to your product.  Fourth, profit.  Fifth, reinvest those profits into maintaining a PR image of Happy Dairy Cows living an idyllic "Old MacDonald" existence, and keep the public oblivious to dairy farming practices.

But I digress.

•  Soy milk comes from soy cows. (1+ / 0-)
          MPociask

Duh.  Same place we get pleather.

Early to rise and early to bed Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and dead. --Not Benjamin Franklin

by Boundegar on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 12:30:16 PM PST

•  So the makers of these deceptively named (0+ / 0-)

juices aren't capitalist enterprises?

Of course they are. And they are doing what capitalist enterprises often do - confusing consumers by naming their products as though they are something they are not.

I have no connection to the dairy industry, nor do I even live in a dairy-heavy state. I've never even been to a dairy farm, and I consume very little dairy--a little half & half in my morning coffee is all I drink most days.

Though I have no specific health reason for limiting dairy, if people want to avoid dairy for health reasons they should do so. Obviously, some people are lactose intolerant, but this idea that nearly everyone is lactose intolerant is simply b.s., a campaign of disinformation pushed by industries like the fake-milk industry, which is no "better" or "worse" than the dairy industry: they're both just trying to make a profit by maximizing sales.

by Le Gauchiste on Mon Dec 31, 2012 at 12:30:20 PM PST

•  I totally agree (3+ / 0-)

The rice dream I use is expensive but I've gotten rid of a lot of pain and digestive problems by eliminating diary products from my life.
      Mild is for babies.

It's really bad for adults. I can believe government subsidizing corn and diary - they're both in the top five of food sensitivities and allergies.

• Recommended (120)
  • Community (56)
  • Elections (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Media (22)
  • Law (21)
  • Environment (21)
  • Culture (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Ireland (16)
  • Economy (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Bernie Sanders (15)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Health Care (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site