View Diary: Trend forecast 2013 (39 comments)

•  Farm to table getting out of hand cell is (1+ / 0-)
    TrueBlueMajority

hilarious.  Where do you want your manure?  Live pig on the table.

I live outside of Boston, and back in colonial times, the Boston Common had farm animals grazing right smack dab in the center of the city.

The streets were formed by cow paths, which is why the old part of Boston's streets are meandering, not on a grid.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 11:26:50 AM PST

•  Please note that the Boston area local says (0+ / 0-)

Common and not Commons.  Why is pluralizing the common space a pet peeve of mine?  Don't know, but since the comic (funny) is basically about sh*t that annoys us, I'm posting this.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. Thomas Paine

by WestCider on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 12:45:44 PM PST

•  The City of Boston calls it Boston Common. (0+ / 0-)

How do you pronounce Tremont Street?  Treemont or Tremont with a short e?

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:12:34 PM PST

•  Treh-mont (1+ / 0-)
          CIndyCasella

I've lived in Boston for 51 years, and I've heard natives pronounce "Faneuil Hall" every imaginable way, but I have never yet heard one utter "Tree-mont street".

As for "common", common land is a typidal feature of New England towns, and so far as I know the local common land is usually called "the common" although usage might differ in other parts of New England. I believe the use of the plural "commons" is a later development, since the first use of the singular form date early Middle English.

Another Boston shibboleth is the name the town just south of Boston: Quincy. It's not "Quin-see" it's "Quinzee".

True story, I've had kung-fu friends hear the town "Woburn" mentioned on the radio, and wonder why they're talking about Jet Li's wushu teacher (Wu Bin).

I've lost my faith in nihilism

by grumpynerd on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 07:46:01 PM PST

•  So does Wikipedia. n/t (0+ / 0-)

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:13:12 PM PST

•  I wrote Common not Commons in my comment. n/t (0+ / 0-)

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:14:10 PM PST

•  Yes - YOU were the local that I was referring to. (1+ / 0-)
          CIndyCasella

Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I think the whole misunderstanding of the term that of course you used correctly that comes from the presence of a village common in each New England town might have begun with Garrett Hardin's 1968 "The Tragedy of the Commons."  I now hear many people - as I'm sure do you - refer to The Common as The Commons, and the clear original meaning of the term suffers.

Just a peeve, what can I say?

by WestCider on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 04:06:29 PM PST

•  Calling Tremont, Treemont peeves me. (0+ / 0-)

I think they should bring animals back to the Common.  It would be a historically accurate tourist attraction and farm-to-table at the same time.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson