View Diary: St. Thomas (177 comments)

•  I don't get this and I'm pretty funny. (6+ / 0-)

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 03:14:58 PM PST

•  You can't really make a funny (1+ / 0-)
      chantedor

out of outright child abuse, even as an absurdist little human tragedy.  It's not a joking matter.  Thought experiment: what if the story was about a rape, or domestic violence?  Or if the story ended with the car crashing and the baby dying?

Animal Nuz and Tom Tomorrow are quality comics.  Sorry, I am sure Keith is a great guy (hi Keith, nice to meet you), but I for one read this and had a sour reaction, as you can see.

I don't see the critical argument.  I don't come to dKos for absurdist humor about child endangerment either.

•  If you think comics have to be funny (2+ / 0-)
        AaronInSanDiego, stevenaxelrod

or attempting to be funny, you're stuck in the 20th century.

Mitt Romney = Draco Malfoy

by ubertar on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:12:15 PM PST

•  because that word "comic" doesn't have anything (0+ / 0-)

to do with humor?

did I miss a change in the dictionary?

(and, yes, I'm getting old, I suppose.)

•  lots of words evolve beyond their original meaning (0+ / 0-)

At least for now, we still call them "comic strips" whether or not they're meant to be humorous. Maybe eventually we'll call them something else, or maybe the old name will stick but people will forget about its origin.

Mitt Romney = Draco Malfoy

by ubertar on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:41:41 PM PST

•  A comic is not a comic (1+ / 0-)
            ubertar

Comic doesn't just mean humor though.  A comic book is not a standup comic.

Comics is the artform (comic books/strips) of words and pictures.  Comic is... something that we find funny?

So no, the word "comic" (comic book/strip) doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the concept "comic" (something/person funny).

I love words.

What's wrong under Republicans is still wrong under Democrats.

by gila on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:52:37 PM PST

•  Excuse me? (0+ / 0-)

What child abuse? Because the woman in the comic smoked pot in front of her kid? How is that child abuse? Is drinking a glass of wine in front of your kid also abuse? I really don't understand where you are coming from.

•  The danger being discussed isn't the weed, but (2+ / 0-)
          ZenTrainer, Sylv

instead the smoke - smoke from any kind of smoking, be it a cigarette or pot, is not good for developing lungs.

Still, I think the underlying reason this comic is attracting so much heat is because it makes, really, no statement at all.  It's bordering on William Faulkner in that regard.

So, I shrug and move on.  I think others are seeing in it a mirror of their own frustrations right now, whatever those frustrations may be.  But really, there's no meaningful message here, be it of a political or social nature.  As to the comic, the lights are on but nobody's home.

Honestly, the comic is a "miss" because of that, but it's not offensive, just... inexplicable.

"The first drawback of anger is that it destroys your inner peace; the second is that it distorts your view of reality. If you come to understand that anger is really unhelpful, you can begin to distance yourself from anger." - The Dalai Lama

by auron renouille on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:09:23 PM PST

•  there's also the endangerment of driving while (1+ / 0-)
            auron renouille

high. Keep the smoke away from a child and don't drive the child around while high.

But, I wasn't particularly offended by anything. I simply didn't get anything from it; as you said.

•  Huh. I laughed out loud at the end. (2+ / 0-)
            auron renouille, stevenaxelrod

Explanations kill humor, but to me, the humor was in the juxtaposition of an odd "TMI" story with the continuing arrival of various food dishes in the background. The poor fellow seemed honestly to be a non pot smoker who had felt obliged to smoke with his new found acquaintance. Being a non pot smoker, he was unfamiliar with the effects of pot on the appetite. This sequence of events, juxtaposed with the decidedly odd and "TMI" story told by the woman, provided the humor for me.

Much of Keith's humor is undirected, slice of life sort of stuff, like Harvey Pekar's "American Splendor."

•  The comic is not nearly as offensive as the truly (1+ / 0-)
            KathleenM1

stupid and intellectually dishonest attempts to defend its placement on the front page.

•  No, I can make child abuse funny. A long time (0+ / 0-)

ago I was working in the field if education and was at a conference. A friend of mine was working with the WH on getting factions together to come up with something that would help more than 70% of kids learn to read. (As in, let's find a way to teach 99% of kids to read.)

At a dinner thing after, a woman was going on and on about the importance of seat belts (this was a long time ago) and how they should be mandatory for kids and blah, blah, blah.

We were done with work and didn't want to hear her but she just wouldn't stop.

She told us the velocity of which kids go through the winshield when in an accident and I said "Impressive we should drop them from planes as weapons".

Which still makes me chuckle today and did most of the table.

I get funny and I get surreal, I just didn't get THIS cartoon.

Tracy B Ann - technically that is my signature.

by ZenTrainer on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:22:44 PM PST