View Diary: St. Thomas (177 comments)

•  is the mom a republican? (1+ / 0-)
    realcountrymusic

If not, add me to the list needing an explanation of the punch line.  Or is this one of those jokes that is funny just because it isn't funny at all and the funny part is the confused readers?

•  why does a comic have to be funny? (1+ / 0-)
      stevenaxelrod

Ever read Maus?

Mitt Romney = Draco Malfoy

by ubertar on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:13:32 PM PST

•  by definition it should (0+ / 0-)

Cartoons don't have to be funny, but this is under the heading "comic" which means of or pertaining to comedy.

adjective of, pertaining to, or characterized by comedy: comic opera. of or pertaining to a person who acts in or writes comedy: a comic actor; a comic dramatist. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of comedy: comic situations; a comic sense. provoking laughter; humorous; funny; laughable. noun a comedian.
        •  The heading wasn't created or applied by the (0+ / 0-)

cartoonist.

Mitt Romney = Draco Malfoy

by ubertar on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:44:18 PM PST

•  "comic" has three meanings (1+ / 0-)
          ubertar

Something that is found funny.  -  A comic situation.  Comic repercussions.

or

A person who engages in comedy.  -  Richard Pryor.  Bill Hicks.

or

The singular of the artform that juxtaposes words and pictures.  An R. Crumb comic book.  A Keith Knight comic strip.

The first two are about comedy/humor.  The third does not have to be about humor (though it can be).

What's wrong under Republicans is still wrong under Democrats.

by gila on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 07:20:05 PM PST

•  Maus has a message, meaning. (1+ / 0-)
        NogodsnomastersMary

That's the problem I see developing here.  Maybe there's some sort of context that I'm missing that relates back to his prior work.  That's actually why I'm in the comments, I figured that I must have missed something obvious, but it appears that a lot of us missed whatever that something is.

"The first drawback of anger is that it destroys your inner peace; the second is that it distorts your view of reality. If you come to understand that anger is really unhelpful, you can begin to distance yourself from anger." - The Dalai Lama

by auron renouille on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:11:42 PM PST

•  Call it postmodernist, then. (0+ / 0-)

Not every artwork needs to have a meaning. If it does have a meaning, it's not necessarily up to the creator of the work to provide it or spell it out. To me, what Keith is saying here is, "This is something I overheard which made an impression on me. What do you make of it?". I don't think there's any kind of agenda behind it at all. My guess is he's confused by it, and not sure what to feel about it. I think that's a legitimate thing to present to us, and I don't think he has to take a stance regarding the story he overheard.

Mitt Romney = Draco Malfoy

by ubertar on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:54:51 PM PST

•  Yeah, I can't disagree with that. (1+ / 0-)
            ubertar

Maybe the context of it being on a political site during a lot of political upheaval resulted in that simplicity being lost?  I'll claim no special expertise, I may have missed that forest for the trees.

by auron renouille on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 07:10:12 PM PST