View Diary: He Saw It: Manga Artist and Hiroshima Survivor Keiji Nakazawa (39 comments)

•  I was thinking about that... (6+ / 0-)

I was waffling over whether to add a link to a video clip from the movie or if it would be too disturbing.  At least the preview image of the clip makes very clear that this is not a cool anime apocalypse where Vegeta furrows his brow and the mountainside disintigrates; this is a nightmare, full up and in your face.

Thanks for adding this.

"All the World's a Stage and Everyone's a Critic." -- Mervyn Alquist

by quarkstomper on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:42:44 AM PST

•  Matches John Hershey's "Hiroshima" (5+ / 0-)

Survivors told Hershey about all the people with their eyeballs blown out.   Apparently a lot of them were looking up at the lone B-29 and were staring into the sky when the bomb detonated.

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby

by bernardpliers on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 11:36:25 AM PST

•  The Pentagon interviewed thousands. (6+ / 0-)

Put many on film.

All lost, never recopied. The text out somewhere in the warehouse with the lost "Ark of the Covenant" from Indie Jones.

I knew two people who were survivors from those bombings. No way either of them mentioned any part of it. Same for survivors from the fire bombings. Too much for humans.

And the starvation factor started in 1944 and went on and on. If there had been an invasion, a third of the country might have died. The youngest and oldest third.

"We have done nothing to be ashamed of. We have nothing to apologize for." NRA 12/14/2012

by bontemps2012 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 02:37:02 PM PST

•  Yeah, I've never been able to reconcile my feeling (7+ / 0-)

on that.  The bombings were horrible and it's easy to throw around condemnations but I've always been left with the thought that perhaps it was less horrible than an invasion that would have turned Honshu into the world's largest landfill, not to mention the world's largest graveyard.

There but for the grace of G-d go I, I suppose.  I don't know how President Obama sleeps at night knowing the sorts of horrible choices that have been forced upon his predecessors.  How do you do that, decide to kill two cities, even if you have the knowledge that less people will die by doing that than by other alternatives?  We all like to pretend that we could be president (I have my moments ^_^) but... it's not hard to imagine how that could cause a lesser soul to curl up into a ball under one's desk.

When I was in Tokyo I visited the observation deck at Metropolitan City Hall and, at the time (or perhaps permanently?) an exhibition of the civilian victims of the blast was on display in one of the towers.  Despite then-Governor Shintaro's well-deserved reputation as a right-wing nationalist and firebrand, the exhibit was... well, the word is tasteful, but it's hard to use that word in these circumstances.  "Appropriate," perhaps?  Devoid of an unhelpful political undercurrent, certainly.

"The first drawback of anger is that it destroys your inner peace; the second is that it distorts your view of reality. If you come to understand that anger is really unhelpful, you can begin to distance yourself from anger." - The Dalai Lama

by auron renouille on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 03:32:01 PM PST

•  Getting elected President (4+ / 0-)

includes becoming a murderer. Goes with the territory.

Also, you put your kids at risk in a thousand ways.

Recently I read that Trisha Eisenhower had finally gotten to where people mostly had to have help spelling "E-I-S-E-N-H-O-W-E-R."

God bless her. And David. They escaped.

by bontemps2012 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:56:42 PM PST

•  Image Of A Horse On Fire Was In "Avatar" (2+ / 0-)
      bumbi, quarkstomper

Is that where Cameron got it?

There’s always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby