View Diary: English Electric Canberra – decals and warning placards as art! (45 comments)

•  As an aside. (13+ / 0-)

There is, as I am sure you are aware, an Avro Lincoln preserved at Cosford, which is supposed to be haunted.

Ah the Canberra, a gorgeous example of British Aerospace engineering during it's heyday.  With more than a passing nod to the Mosquito whose boots it more than amply filled.

As for the rabbit on the nose, maybe it is just looking for a tea party.

In all of the world's problems religion has never been the solution

by Tailgunner30uk on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 04:34:57 PM PST

•  OK, do you want my Lincoln/Cosford ghost story ... (5+ / 0-)

....now or later?

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 05:53:39 PM PST

•  Whenever you would like to tell it :) (4+ / 0-)
        43north, Lorinda Pike, shortfinals, ER Doc

Hugs,
                          Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is inflicting it on whom.

by Chacounne on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 07:33:30 PM PST

•  OK.....back in the 70s, when I was young and,,, (0+ / 0-)

,,,,(OK, thats got the UNBELIEVABLE part over with)...anyway, back in the 70s. I visited Cosford. This wasn't the all-singing, all-dancing, Conservation-centred Museum it is today (and a SUPERB facility, it is).

No, this was the era - and if I hear ONE MORE American voice say 'error' when they mean 'era', I shall scream! - when you could find the Air Training Corps cadets re-painting the externally-stored Handley Page Victor with brooms and white paint.

On this lovely June day, there were no more than a handful of visitors, and I wandered from hangar to hanger, through the small, internal doors, examining such delights as the F.9/40 prototype, and the prone Meteor F.8. Eventually, I arrived at the hangar containing the Lincoln. I knew of the stories, of course, and had discounted them. I was a practical person, right? Solid engineering type - I didn't believe in ghosts (yet).

I didn't realize that I was alone in this LARGE hangar until I swear the temperature dropped a full 10F almost instantly. I found that I would have to walk past RF398 to exit the hangar, and it got colder as I approached, and I became more and more uneasy.

I did NOT see a figure either near the tail, nor inside the aircraft but I really did not enjoy walking around it.

Needless to say, there was no happier person than I to finally exit that hangar!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:00:47 AM PST

•  I have heard stories. (1+ / 0-)
            shortfinals

But I have, over a dozen or more occasions walked around this aeroplane and museum and experienced nothing more than the goosebumps associated with being in the presence of aviation history.

You sir, have rekindled an interest that had died to a barely glowing ember, for this I thank you, but my wife is less happy with the recent expenditure on books!

In all of the world's problems religion has never been the solution

by Tailgunner30uk on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:04:19 AM PST

•  OK...what many people don't know is that the .... (6+ / 0-)

....forward part of the vertical fin is WOOD!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 05:58:26 PM PST

•  Strange to say... (5+ / 0-)

....the Canberra was due to be the Lincoln's replacement! However, because of delays, therewas going to be a gap, which was filled by the arrival of a batch of B-29 and B-29A aircraft (known as 'Washington' in RAF service)

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'