View Diary: Deal-haters, here's what I don't understand (UPDATED x3) (392 comments)

•  We will have a new congress (5+ / 0-)

and tax season will be behind us for many.
    I see the 113 being better ..much better than the 112.  Not saying much but better.
    Tea Party lost in last election and they are making their last stand to say FU constiuents who voted us out and FU to the uppity president.  That is how I read it politically and I see the tea party as the enemy.  These are the same people who suppressed votes.  HAve done nothing and believe in Ayn Rand.  They are pissed te myans were wrong and guns are going away.  They are the same people who called us DFH and lazy ...Remember the 47 percent.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:07:47 PM PST

•  The GOP will still control the House giving them (3+ / 0-)
      Vetwife, Armando, sxp151

complete control over budget initiation and the debt ceiling.

I've heard no analysis from anyone suggesting they will back down from their hard line-in-the-sand that any extension of the debt ceiling be matched by equal or greater reduction of spending, and further than these reductions in spending come primarily from social spending not military spending.

What cuts will Democrats propose to reduce government spending by about 22% to get to 18% of GDP?

How do we propose "influencing" the GOP not to just issue the new budgets and tell us to deal with it.?

What will we do when they put together a $1 trillion package of social spending cuts including chained CPI, a raise in Medicare in return for the 1 year extension of the debt ceiling?

I might feel less concerned if I could think of any remotely  plausible possibilities other than the good will and sensitivity of the GOP to our pleas for compassion for the poorest.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:20:12 PM PST

•  My answer is SOU address and (5+ / 0-)

new congress.. less tea thank you and wanting to keep those seats of the teabaggers replaced.     We will influence the new congress because America at 17 percent approval is tired of the BS.   They are jr's though and will be feet dragging for a while.  Just my obeservation for new congresscritters.   The very poor cannot wait.  They will lose homes, care for kids, much needed things.  The unemployed will suffer greatly.
        The farm bill is so critical and suprises me that Harkin didn't vote yes and Bernie did.

Just a lot of political posturing and FU Mr. President and VP IMO.   Obama can put the fear of God, in the State of the Union address and shake them up.

by Vetwife on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:30:09 PM PST

•  I sure hope you are right Vetwife. It will be a (3+ / 0-)
          Vetwife, peregrine kate, glorificus

miracle that will bring tears to my eyes if we manage to play it out this way.

There is already so much suffering.  Too much.  I just read such a sad article yesterday on the state cutting mental health programs and Medicaid programs for the poor.

If the President can rally overwhelming public outrage to demand the GOP raise more tax revenues it will be an astonishing and wonderful thing.  Risking, but amazing.

I'll still be thinking in the back of my mind that we could have got this same deal with just a temporary two-year extension of the Bush tax cuts, not taking so much risk, and relying so much of the "kindness of GOP strangers."

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:39:42 PM PST

•  I hope I am right too but HoundDog (3+ / 0-)
            peregrine kate, glorificus, DianeNYS

I see your side too , it just isn't an option when a family of five or 6 depend on what little work they can get in that household where they are having to be sheltered by a disabled vet and the retired ss mom of 528,00 a month living paycheck to paycheck  (that would be us) and those same parents worrying about making sure even the grown kids don't starve.   By the 23 of each month we are out of milk at 4 dollars a gallon.  My son does not even get medicaid down here in the land of Scott and we pick up the pieces of lives till we stretch to the point of breaking.

He needs work.  The kids need milk.  We need the elder children to find work and the older one left at home to be able to use her Title 35 that will not cover all the college expense....which means staying home or forgetting college.   We have had 9 people in our home in 08 and in Ga they still said we did not qualify for FS.
            That was BS.  We were the only ones with income.

by Vetwife on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:50:32 PM PST

•  I am not complaining as we are better than (4+ / 0-)

many.  the 3100.00 disability is fair income but with kids and grown ones under one roof..it just doesn't go that far.

by Vetwife on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:54:33 PM PST

•  You are so right, Vetwife, it's not enough, (1+ / 0-)
                Vetwife

and we should have so many more ways to help people who are struggling--young, old, disabled, healthy, educated or not....
                The country is not being run with the welfare of all of us in mind, not by a long shot, and the disparities in support from state to state are appalling. I do not know how that can be allowed to stand, and yet it's beyond me to imagine real improvement on that front. I salute your perseverance under real duress, and I hope that I am wrong in my pessimism.

Some DKos series & groups worth your while: Black Kos, Native American Netroots, KosAbility, Monday Night Cancer Club. If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:02:32 PM PST

•  Well I have already made up my mind (4+ / 0-)

economically for me it will get worse if something happens to Jack before me.   I will lose a large portion of his income.   My social security is bigger than his and If we are taking care of everyone then who will take care of an old 60 something year old woman?   Not the kids because they can't make it on their own..not even the grown ones.   We can't put away anything because there is nothing left.  We have lost and downsized to the point of already austerity.   We don't do vacations or buy new clothes.  We don't do that.   I would have to move  and if these programs are cut then I am really up a creek.  Yeah he worries about this stuff all the time.
                  When we lost the house or it was stolen...by the bank, his life insurance of 15K lapsed.. Now he can't get any except the 2 year wait thing.

We depend on his check.  All of us.  But of course we are just lazy according to Scott and teabaggers and there is no such thing as unemployment in double digits or VA funding being cut.   Just lazy.  I worked for 30 years.

by Vetwife on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:14:29 PM PST

•  Vetwife, There Are Programs That Your Husband (0+ / 0-)

May be eligible for as a veteran. If you'd like, I can provide you with information. Please let me know.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:43:38 PM PST