View Diary: Do I Really Need to Get Angry Again to Stem this Outpouring of Poutrage? (155 comments)

•  What this means is (3+ / 0-)
    twigg, 3goldens, SanFernandoValleyMom
    If my comments on this site occasionally seem not to fit with my stated beliefs, then that is simply because I want to support the possible, rather than lose that in an attempt to get the perfect.
    you are satisfied with mediocrity.  If you give up on the perfect from the get-go, you are destined to never approximate it.  You really mean this?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

by accumbens on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:39:53 PM PST

•  Nope, I eplained that (13+ / 0-)

We can't always have what we want.

The toddler stamps and screams when they meet the slightest obstruction to their will.

I can recognise, and applaud progress, and I can criticise the mis-steps along the way.

I can encourage us along a path that I might think appropriate, but I also might be wrong, and we all have to be wary of losing the best deal we could get, simply because it isn't the deal that we want.

Both sides are having to do that and my "wish list" remains intact. It is a measure of how far we have to go.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 04:45:02 PM PST

•  I think if one consistently settles for less then (1+ / 0-)
        twigg

you will always settle for less.  Sometimes it accomplishes more in the long term to fail because you are not willing to compromise.  Being willing to fail like that serves to educate people, particularly if the person taking such a strong stand commands the kind of attention a President does.  People like politicians who are willing to stand strong.  A steady diet of expediency - always a short-term solution - does little to change the big problems.

by accumbens on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:45:45 PM PST

•  Maybe (3+ / 0-)
          SoCalSal, glorificus, wishingwell

but if you always go for gold, and refuse to compromise, you might get bronze instead of sliver.

There will be another "games" next year.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

by twigg on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:59:15 PM PST

•  I didn't say "always" - I said "sometimes" (1+ / 0-)
            twigg

Never compromising is just as bad as always compromising if for no other reason than your opponent/counterpart knows what to expect.

And, yes, there are always more games and, unfortunately, for Obama more opportunities to fail to stand up to the Repubs and disappoint.

by accumbens on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:32:36 AM PST

•  I'm not the diarist, but I agree with him (7+ / 0-)

on quite a few things, so I'm going to tackle this.

I'm not satisfied with mediocrity. However, I recognize that I am surrounded by it. The USA, as a country, is mediocrity defined. We're the epitome of fuckin' mediocre.

And that ain't changing, not in my lifetime, without the benefit of mass brainwashing. And we don't have the technology for that.

Mitt Romney still got 47% of the vote. The People's House is controlled by the fucking' Tea Party. There are more people in this country that worry about Rich People Taxes and our unalienable right to own Semi-Automatic Penis Extenders than there are people who worry about children going hungry. There are some capable people in this country, but those capable people are surrounded by a whole hell of a lot of suck.

Mediocrity? We're lucky we get that high on the scale.

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 05:34:33 PM PST

• Republicans (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Spam (23)
  • Education (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site