View Diary: I Have Some Bad News: We May Have to Elect Peter King as Speaker (56 comments)

•  Oh, don't take my comment personally (9+ / 0-)

(and you hurt my whims' feelings.)

Everyone in the House votes for its Speaker.  201 Dems + 17 Republicans equals a majority.  I've rarely seen a time when it could be more likely to peel some off, create a weak Speaker dependent on Dem support, and get something significant out out of the bargain.  It's what Republicans would try to do to us!

Plaintiffs' Employment Law Attorney (harassment, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblowing, wage & hour, &c.) in North Orange County, CA.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
    -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 11:25:12 AM PST

•  Yep! this is how the tea party/libertarians (6+ / 0-)

convince themselves to create a third party (which they won't be able to agree on how to run), how the establishment repubs get to try to rebuild a somewhat more "moderate" party and how we split the field in 2014 and elect a raft of more and better progressives.

its possible!

.....it's on the table, under the watermelon she demurred. Thanks, I was planning on shaving anyway he replied.

by pdx kirk on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 11:33:37 AM PST

•  Say, Seneca Doane (5+ / 0-)

can you answer this? I've been looking for an answer on line in various places with no luck.

When the House votes for a Speaker everyone votes. Currently a majority is 218 votes.

But to elect a Speaker is 218 a hard number? Or is a plurality enough?
           If, say, The Democrats put up Pelosi, Boehner stands again, and the vote comes in 201 for Nancy, 212 for John and, say, 22 for Peter King of NY, is John elected by the plurality?
           Or again, Pelosi 201, Boehner 88, and Cantor 147?? So does Nancy become Speaker?

Or is the 218 an absolute?

I haven't found an answer and wonder if you might know.

Thanks!

Shalom.

(I know you can have multiple ballots. The 36th Congress balloted from December 5 of 1859 to January 30th of 1860, 8 freakin' weeks!, before they elected a Speaker.)

"God has given wine to gladden the hearts of people." Psalm 104:15

by WineRev on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 01:49:14 PM PST

•  I read recently that it's a majority of members (3+ / 0-)
        pdx kirk, FarWestGirl, HeyMikey

actually in the body (so that with Jesse Jackson Jr. out, we just need one immediate resignation to knock it down to 217 required), so 218 isn't sacrosanct.  As to plurality vs. majority,  I have read both in the past day.

I think that the rules were changed after 1859-60.  I don't know; I'm reading all kinds of crazy stuff these days.  This is why we have Kagro here!

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:28:23 PM PST

•  Interesting thinking going on over at Hot Air, (4+ / 0-)

Only Allhapundit fantasizes about the Dems throwing their weight behind Boehner in the end so that he's indebted!

(emphasis mine)

There’s no Speaker until someone has a majority of votes from the entire House, so if 17 Republicans flatly refuse to vote for Boehner then he’ll be effectively blocked — unless a few Democrats decide to cross the aisle to get to 218. Could that happen? Dave Weigel says nope but I’m not sure. There’s no conceivable way that a Democrat gets elected tomorrow, so if you’re a tea-party-hating liberal backbencher, why not use your vote to spite conservatives instead? The Dems could sit back and let the drama play out for a few rounds: On the first ballot Boehner gets a heavy plurality of the GOP caucus but is blocked from a majority, on the second ballot a conservative challenger (Cantor or Jordan) pulls even but Boehner loyalists refuse to back down, on the third ballot a compromise candidate (Ryan?) enters the fray and the vote splits three ways. Then Democrats could swoop in and humiliate their enemies by voting en masse for Boehner. Not only would it deepen the fracture in the Republican caucus that Obama’s worked so hard to cause — imagine a GOP majority having to serve under a Speaker whom they knew was elected by the other side — but Democrats could spin it as a show of bipartisanship for the media. Depending upon how badly Boehner wants to keep the job, they might even be able to extract some concessions from him. Imagine this guy having to negotiate with Obama on the debt ceiling and the sequester knowing that he’s in that position chiefly because of Democratic support.
      And by interesting I mean really bizarre.

Talking about how to stop mass shootings in the aftermath of a string of mass shootings isn’t "too soon." It’s much too late.
      ~~ Ezra Klein

by smileycreek on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:09:54 PM PST

•  That seems highly improbable (4+ / 0-)

If Boehner wanted to create a bipartisan governing coalition, he's already had plenty of chances to do it.  I don't think he's a good prospect for this, because at any moment the tobacco companies can flip a switch and turn off his heart.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:30:04 PM PST

•  i've been wondering (2+ / 0-)
      Seneca Doane, pdx kirk

about the remaining blue dogs.  jim matheson will almost certainly vote with the r's in order to maintain his seat in his new district.

and everyone has said for years that the only vote that counts is the vote for speaker.  i don't think he'd vote for pelosi again.

Ted Kennedy: “The work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die…”

by jlms qkw on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:18:23 PM PST

•  Did Matheson vote for Boehner last time? (2+ / 0-)
        jlms qkw, pdx kirk

I know that some did -- but I think that most of them are gone.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back."
        -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:30:51 PM PST

•  two times ago he did (2+ / 0-)
          pdx kirk, Seneca Doane

and he got raked over the coals locally.

two years ago i am not sure.  but he's not my rep anymore.  my new rep is glenn beck's best friend.

by jlms qkw on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 03:09:17 PM PST