Skip to main content

View Diary: From the White House: 7 Things You Need to Know About the Deal (300 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Just wrong. We're back to square one (or less) (10+ / 0-)

    with the top 2% only. The rest amounts to a 98% government starvation program.

    If Obama's administration had been serious about working towards both a progressive tax rate and protecting the poor, he/they would have started the negotiations with an end to the Bush tax cuts on $75,000 and up with serious tax liability for the wealthiest people in the nation. Knowing he could push to settle for a $200,000 agreement.

    That would have been progressive and way more in line with that so-called "wish list".

    It's just fucking sad people here are OK with this deal and missing the fine neoliberal print at the bottom of it.

    Physics is bulls**t. Don't let them fool you. Fire IS magic.

    by Pescadero Bill on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 02:46:23 PM PST

    [ Parent ]

    •  I'm in favor of (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Pescadero Bill, happymisanthropy

      allowing my taxes to go up.  I don't WANT them to go up but I can adjust.  

      "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

      by newfie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 03:02:17 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

      •  That's the thing, "going up" just means back to (5+ / 0-)

        the Clinton era rates. And IIRC, things were pretty good back then.

        So what changed? Two unfunded wars, Bush tax cuts starving the treasury, and bankster crime spree and their subsequent economy-as-hostage 'handsome ransom' packages.

        You can call that "The Three Shocks™" that enabled the doctrine of austerity we are now celebrating as a "win". And which made possible putting Social Security "on the table".

        Physics is bulls**t. Don't let them fool you. Fire IS magic.

        by Pescadero Bill on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 03:31:18 PM PST

        [ Parent ]

    •  Actually, it's not the top 2% (3+ / 0-)

      The information I've read says the tax increase hits only .7% of taxpayers, or slightly more than 1 million taxpayers. That doesn't even come close to taxing the rich. And we will pay dearly for this deal 2 months from now.

      Factually, it seems there are some things in those 7 items that don't ring true. It says it raised rates on those making more than $250k. How can they even say that?

      Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

      by reflectionsv37 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 04:37:45 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site