View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Crackpot American Family Association's visions of the atheist future (239 comments)

•  5th largest charity (1+ / 0-)
    Aunt Pat

Most religions are soaked in self righteousness....

What if environmentalists all planted gardens, trees and walked or biked instead of protesting and blogging about climate change?

I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. Che Guevara

by Paid Troll on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:23:52 PM PST

•  I didn't know those two types of activities were (10+ / 0-)

mutually exclusive.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:28:58 PM PST

•  Thats funny, because the last time I checked (11+ / 0-)

the church was telling the nuns to STFU about that feeding the poor stuff and start spending more time hating on the gays and women.

"Come, dowsed in mud, soaked in bleach, as I want you to be. As a trend, as a friend, as an old memoria." - Kurt Cobain

by Jeff Y on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:43:11 PM PST

•  Last I checked, the Church also doesn't marry (2+ / 0-)
        JeffW, Calamity Jean

anyone its priests don't want to marry.

I know someone who was living with her much older boyfriend, both Catholics, and she attended mass each week. They wanted to get married in the church. The priest said, "no."  He said they needed to stop living together for a year, then he'd marry them.

Two Catholics in good standing. The priest said, "no." That was it.  No other priest in the diocese would marry them around that priest's wishes.

They got married elsewhere.

Ask divorced Catholics who want to get remarried if the Church is ever "forced to" marry couples it doesn't want to marry.

There is a reason why very wealthy Catholics go to all the expense and effort to get anulments after decades-long marriages.

© grover

by grover on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 11:38:01 PM PST

•  Not to mention (0+ / 0-)

you can't get married outside a church and there must be a mass to do a wedding (or furneral).

Two quotes I wish to live by "Strength and Honor" (Gladiator) and "Do or Do Not, There is no Try" (SW-ESB).

by SQD35R on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 12:10:43 PM PST

•  And I didn't know (4+ / 0-)
      JeffW, DeadHead, Skipbidder, Calamity Jean

environmentalists hired and protected pedophiles.

When did tht start happening?

by Jeff Y on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 09:46:23 PM PST

•  I plant gardens and trees. (5+ / 0-)

I very rarely drive my car.

But the fact is that individual users in aggregate don't contribute to climate change as much as industrial users.

So I can plant petunias and maple trees all day long. I can work with conservancy societies to plant and re-veg green and wilderness areas. I can buy local, buy organic, not buy plastics and synthetics as much as possible, eat very little meat, set my furnace at 65 in the evening, 52 at night and not have it on all day long, even though I'm at home.

And I do all these things.

But political activity is how climate change is going to be slowed, and hopefully how the we're going to start to roll back the clock. It can't just happen in my state or even just in this country (although with political will, it HAS to start here), but globally.

But friend, you're solely mistaken if you think that planting a few shrubs, some tomatoes, squash and basil is going to make as much difference as being extremely politically active. Yes, the shrubs cool the western exposure of my house, and the vegetables and spices mean I don't have to go to the grocery store as often.

But this problem is much MUCH too big for me to solve on my own. Frankly, I'm doing everything I can. Even many of my conservative friends do much of what I do when it comes to the recycling/conserving/planting and growing stuff because they aren't fools. They see that summers are getting hotter; winters are getting weirder; wildfire season is getting longer, and droughts are no longer rare.

This is where the government has to step in.

© grover

• Environment (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Politics (22)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Police Brutality (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site