View Diary: Time Warner Cable Blocks Current TV (183 comments)

•  Here on Staten Island, it's gone (1+ / 0-)
    citizenx

"There is but one evil party with two names, and it will be elected despite all I can do or say." W.E.B. Dubois, 1956
    TheStarsHollowGazette.com

by TheMomCat on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 06:21:52 PM PST

•  That stinks (1+ / 0-)
      TheMomCat

My guess is that if it was sold to NewsCorp there would be no problem at all

•  Who knows (4+ / 0-)

TMC has threatened to drop Fox, ESPN and quite a few others to get a better deal. In this area there are not too many options for cable service and they're all over-priced. I'm firmly convinced that they all collude with each other to keep the price high.

Cable and internet in Europe are much cheaper.

TheStarsHollowGazette.com

by TheMomCat on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 06:31:16 PM PST

•  *TWC* TMC is me. LOL (2+ / 0-)
          citizenx, gooderservice

TheStarsHollowGazette.com

by TheMomCat on Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 06:31:55 PM PST

•  TMC, I'm getting Current on my (1+ / 0-)
          TheMomCat

iPad app in Brooklyn.

•  What is the going rate now? (4+ / 0-)
          WheninRome, TheMomCat, Belle Ame, pgm 01

I moved back to the Netherlands before internet.

Here I have an all in one glass fiber package. Interactive tv, telephone, and 50 MB/s up and down internet for about €55 a month.  The digital receiver that is also a hard disk recorder, is included in the package.

I like having internet tv instead of cable because you can just route the signal via the electricity net, and put your TV where ever you want. My provider also offers an app, so I can watch tv on my IPad.

•  You don't want to know. (4+ / 0-)
            Mannie, fisher1028, TheMomCat, amsterdam

You can bundle, but that's not always a feasible option (for instance, the only cell phone network that works in my building is not our cable service provider's), and even if you take one of those deals they tend to have "balloon" rates, that start at about $100/mo for roughly the service you've outlined but get much higher once the initial subscription period expires. Oh, and the tv's not interactive. And if you add in (smart) cell phones, much, much more.

Europeans are light-years ahead of us on this.

by sidnora on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 05:44:50 AM PST

•  A lot of people I know are going piecemeal (2+ / 0-)
              sidnora, TheMomCat

I really need to call DTV.  Luckily, my place is situated in my building that installation is easy.  Some people can't install it at all.  During Sandy, TWC went out in my part of Brooklym but DTV was fine.  That was another nail in the coffin.

O/T. Two more hours and I will have Nydia.  Hooray!

•  My understanding (2+ / 0-)
                fisher1028, TheMomCat

is that DTV poops out if it's even cloudy outside. I don't recall having any problems with TWC during Sandy (not that I'm their biggest fan - I think the rates are exorbitant!).

Re Nydia - I am jealous. Not only am I sitting here with Yvette (I guess I shouldn't complain, at least she votes the right way, but not a leader), but I lost my esteemed State Senator, Eric Adams, and am now under the dubious wing of Kevin Parker.

by sidnora on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 07:19:48 AM PST

•  For the next 90 minutes (2+ / 0-)
                  sidnora, TheMomCat

Yvette is mine.  She has been useless and Nydia has been effectively representing us.  She may as well get paid for it. Yvette still hasn't articulated a clear position on the Gowanus Superfund. Kind of huge issue for those in that part of her district.

I'm getting Velmanette back so I am very happy.  I have Squadron now.

I was worried about bad weather but my neighbors have no complaints.  The TWC outage was probably just my side of Brooklyn. I ate crow because I was teasing two friends who have DTV that as long as I had power I would have TV and they wouldn't.

•  You have the (2+ / 0-)
                    fisher1028, TheMomCat

creme de la creme there.

At least I have Jim Brennan - you must have Millman? I bet you have Tish, too, though Brad Lander is working out nicely.

by sidnora on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 07:52:35 AM PST

•  I have Brad and I really detest him (2+ / 0-)
                      TheMomCat, sidnora

at least on a personal level.  I have been watching him since he was following DeBlasio around like a puppy.  Yes, Millman. We like her.

•  While it's not hard (0+ / 0-)

to dislike him personally, I've not found much to object to in Lander's positions or job performance. And believe me, I've been looking. I worked, hard, for one of his opponents in 2010, and had low expectations once he won.

by sidnora on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:04:48 AM PST

•  Fingers crossed for Google Fiber (3+ / 0-)
          Mannie, TheMomCat, amsterdam

Cable and internet in Europe are much cheaper.

In the Kansas City area, Google is doing a test of its own fiber to the home system. For $120/month (about what I was paying in Rochester, NY for for TWC with 15Mb/s down 2Mb/s up RoadRunner, digital cable, and 2 tuner DVR before I dropped everything but RoadRunner) you get 1Gb/s (up and down) fiber internet, digital cable, 8 tuner DVR, 1TB on Google Drive, and a Nexus 7 tablet.

I'm hoping it goes well and they start doing other cities, as I don't imagine I'll ever live in KC.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. -- Kurt Vonnegut

by sabishi on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 06:43:23 AM PST