Skip to main content

View Diary: Mr. Turtle cluelessly clamors for debt limit debate that President Obama says he won't get (213 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  What we progressives need to do... (5+ / 0-)

    Here's what I would like someone to do; unfortunately I don't have the skills or knowledge to do it myself.

    The whole discussion about cutting the deficit and debt is about cuts to social programs. Well, what about defense, payments to agribusiness, price supports, etc?

    I would love to see some liberal experts (Paul Krugman? others?) propose cuts to other programs and lead with "Here are the cuts we really need to make." As Occupy did when it changed the conversation to the 1%, we need to change the conversation to "Sure, here are the cuts we need: Cut Defense 10%, cut agriculture support payments to any agribusiness making over $200,00, etc."

    Push for what we think is best, rather than just defend Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. The best defense is often a good offense.

    Does anyone on DailyKos or other Netroots blogs have the expertise to do a proposal along these lines, and soon?

    If the right defends defense as we defend social programs, and we get a stalemate with few to no changes, that's fine too!

    •  Krugman has laid this out many times (4+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      TomP, Aspe4, mightymouse, BroadwayBaby1

      In particular to the point you are making he talked about Cantor's hypocrisy on "weaponized Keynesianism" [what a term btw] but he's been all over this stuff.  

      But Krugman's larger point - which bears repeating - is that the convo needs to be changed to, what are we going to be about jobs?  Aka the single biggest thing we could do to address our long-term deficit.  

      IIRC there's someone around here who does have a fairly big megaphone aka Bully Pulpit...

    •  Did you see this? (5+ / 0-)

      Move Single Payer Forward? Join 18,000 Doctors of PNHP and 185,000 member National Nurses United

      by divineorder on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 08:02:43 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  posted earlier/elsewhere (0+ / 0-)

      30% cuts to defense
      elimination of oils subsidies
      elimination on farm subsidies
      closing tax loopholes

      based on 2012 financials nets $3.79 billion annually which is $3.79 trillion over the ten year period.

      add in real tax reform, medical cost savings such as US negotiating drug prices. additional change to corporate capital gains increase in tax in funds not reinvested in business.............. likely another $1.5-2.0 trillion on top of that.

      this needs to be done first and when done, we can look at earned benefits but won't be necessary.

      Additionally, once economy can sustain a growth rate of +3.5& there will be additional room for tax increases if needed plus current number are estimated on less than 3.5% annual growth so there is potentially significant other revenue w/o raising additional taxes.

      GOP goal is to get rid of earned benefits and further line pockets of the 2%.  we should never weaken the 98% to the benefit of the other 2%.

      mittens=edsel. no matter how much money is spent to promote it, if the product sucks, no one will buy it.

      by wewantthetruth on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 10:27:42 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site