View Diary: We Can't Afford Gun Control (367 comments)

•  A Right to Bear Arms is Not Recognized By Civili- (20+ / 0-)

zation. Societies that are safer than ours and that deliver more of the American dream to their people than we do to ours, don't recognize a right to bear arms.

Not having a right is not the same thing as not having access to the object. The Constitution gives you no right to a car, to lodging, to food, or to rockets, but millions have all these things.

An individual right to bear arms is proven worldwide to be unnecessary to either a well-regulated militia or to the security of a free state. Especially since we all now have well-regulated militia in the form of police, national guard, and the standing army that so worried the framers.

Tell you what. You work on following the framers' preference for no standing army, and I'll reconsider the framers' intent about the right to bear arms.

by Gooserock on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 06:30:33 PM PST

•  "are safer than ours", yes they are. And that's (0+ / 0-)

not in spite of deescalating firearms involvement, but because.

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 09:16:42 PM PST

•  I think it has a lot to do with a decent civil (1+ / 0-)
        fuzzyguy

society, including universal heath care, education and transport. Not guns.

With higher taxes, but you have a nicer life.

Of course, we are huge in comparison to Europe, so we need to spend more attention on making mass transport affordable. What a potential gold mine for renewable energy research and development!!

Also, our education is supposed to be much less expensive pre-college while our health care is getting some improvement through Obamacare.

**Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does** h/t Clytemnestra/Victoria Jackson

by glorificus on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:40:33 AM PST

•  Of course. On the other hand trying to get RKBA (0+ / 0-)

types to agree that IF (and obviously a very big if) we had no guns here there would be no gun deaths is a near impossibility. Their brains just don't work that way, even for the lefties.

by oldpotsmuggler on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:43:16 AM PST

•  If there was no crime, there would be no (0+ / 0-)

homicides.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 11:29:36 AM PST

•  I think that one goes back to Cain and Abel. (0+ / 0-)

Modern firearms are a much more recent invention. And one that, in many, many respects, has simply outlived its usefulness.

Here's my last personal firearm experience (of many, my undergrad was wildlife/fisheries biology).

1978, 79, something. Before heading out on a major smuggling situation, I thought that I'd hit the deer opener, so I hit the sporting goods store for a license and a Browning '06. One bullet through the barrel to see where it was shooting, and one bullet through the barrel for the buck that jumped. Worked alone for seven hours to get him off of the mountain, and then gave the deer and the browning to my father.

Last sighting I know of for the Browning was when my nephew ate the barrel a couple of years ago.

True story. One of too many millions.

by oldpotsmuggler on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 12:51:20 PM PST

•  Interesting story. (1+ / 0-)
                fuzzyguy

I don't know the background of what happened with your nephew but when my uncle had some mental issues, my family took his guns away.

Which is how it should be.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 01:05:55 PM PST

•  You know what, being a convicted person in Utah, (0+ / 0-)

I can't touch a gun, period. But, anyway, is being depressed about your hot wife screwing a rich dude, and packing to move the 4 kids to his place even mental illness?

I thought that mental illness might well have been that the mess being cleaned up had been from someone other than himself.

I thought that silently doing yourself only, instead of others also, might be some modern version of chivalry.

Stupid! Real stupid, but at least not evil.

by oldpotsmuggler on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:02:53 PM PST

•  I'm all for your right to kill yourself (as (0+ / 0-)

long as you're a legal adult). My example was not to suggest that your nephew was mentally ill; it was someone doing firearms away from someone who was suicidal.

Apologies. Rereading my comment...well, it was phrased poorly.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 06:36:21 PM PST

•  I'm sorry about your nephew. (0+ / 0-)

by glorificus on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:03:58 PM PST

•  You're so kind. Thank you. (1+ / 0-)
                  glorificus

In a way, I wish that we had been close, but my spending eight years in federal prison had an inevitable affect on family ties.

So goes The Drug War.