View Diary: Books So Bad They're Good: Nazi, Schmazi! (144 comments)

•  Malfoy-the-cat writes better than they did (10+ / 0-)

And he is by far the stupidest cat I've ever owned.

•  Comment of the day! (9+ / 0-)

(according to moi)

We can't out-do Jack & Joe's alter-ego socking Schickelrgruber's jaw, but here's Blackhawk.

Said hero led an international group of aviators against the Nazis in WWII. He was a Polish officer in the origin story by Will Eisner & Chuck Cuidera circa 1940.

Reed Crandall was one of the great brush-and-ink masters of the mid-XX Century and worked on the best Blackhawk stories IMHO.

Millions of us – the majority – must come together to insist that President Obama and the Democrats stand up and fight for the things we sent them there to do ... Michael Moore

by MT Spaces on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:09:41 PM PST

•  That looks excellent (7+ / 0-)

I've heard of the character - and if Eisner's involved, you know it was good.

Speaking of Kirby, BTW, evidently drawing comics saved his life a couple of times when he was in Italy during the war.  His platoon got pinned down by enemy fire at one point, and his buddies insisted that he be saved first because they didn't want the man who'd created Captain America getting shot!

•  He never said anything about Italy ... (5+ / 0-)
          Aunt Pat, Dumbo, Dauphin, xaxnar, Ahianne

... but ...

He spoke at length about a prolonged battle over a river valley in France, near Metz -- wounded at least once, and returned to the front after he'd healed (somewhat).

He drew all the time -- for his buddies, and in letters he sent home.

by MT Spaces on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:21:53 PM PST

•  I may be wrong about the location (7+ / 0-)

I wonder if they'll ever publish his wartime sketches?  I just found thislovely wartime memoir by cartoonist Joseph Farris, who was in the Army during the war and took his sketchbook with him.  Gorgeous art and fascinating letters home, and I can't help but think that one by Kirby would be just as interesting.

And then of course there's Bill Mauldin, whom the brass hated and the soldiers loved because Joe and Willie said what they couldn't....

•  We weren't that close ... (2+ / 0-)
              Dumbo, xaxnar

... but we were friends anyhow. If he was in Italy, it just didn't come up when we spoke.

by MT Spaces on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:22:37 PM PST

•  Bill Mauldin in Italy (4+ / 0-)

I have Mauldin's "Upfront" in hardback, it belonged to my father. Much more interesting is this crumbling paperback published in 1944:

Not only did it belong to my dad, but it is extensively annotated by him, including a prefatory letter addressed to me. My dad was in the landing at Salerno, was wounded at Anzio, and fought his way up the Italian boot, even was in charge of the liberation of a minor concentration camp in northern Italy, where some Austrians were held, including Kurt von Schuschnigg, the last head of the Austrian government before the Anschluss.

If your internal map of reality doesn't match external conditions, bad things happen.--Cambias

by pimutant on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 12:30:46 AM PST

•  PS: Size failure! (1+ / 0-)
                MT Spaces

I tried to resize this, but nothing changed! Dang Photobucket anyway! I will strive to remember to always and only upload at the size I want, and never ever try to edit anything once it is there. Sorry.

by pimutant on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 12:33:36 AM PST

•  That sounds similar to my uncle Lou's war (1+ / 0-)
                Ahianne

He was a sergeant in a tank destroyer battalion under Gen. Clark, and yes, he was definitely in Italy.  I never dared ask what he saw or where he saw because his regiment liberated Dachau, and evidently what he saw was so horrendous that he simply didn't want to talk about it.

•  And that was just a concentration camp. (0+ / 0-)

Not a death camp.

The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln

by raboof on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 07:53:11 AM PST

•  And even that was bad enough that evidently (1+ / 0-)
                    raboof

Some of the Americans present (including members of Lou's unit) basically went crazy and massacred the guards who'd already surrendered.  The most I ever found out that was Lou witnessed the inmates stoning a trustie to death, but I'm sure he saw more than that.