View Diary: Regular order (172 comments)

•  Being a bully, ignoring the core concepts (2+ / 0-)
    edwardssl, doroma

of representative democracy isn't progressive.  It 's closer to anarchy.  We didn't turn out in large enough numbers in 2010 so we got loons in the House and in many state governments.  We don't run for school boards or local councils, so the more passionate RW wins and builds a crazy bench.  Want change?  Vote in every damn election.  Work locally. Want to whine?  Avoid local activism and blog all day.  The choices are simple.  You'll have a more Progressive government if you build it.  You'll have negligible impact if your activism stops with signing online petitions and commenting on blogs.  Your choice.

by I love OCD on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:12:45 AM PST

•  You make wild assumptions (4+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, MrJayTee, shaharazade, 3goldens

about both the limits of my engagement and the functional wherewithal of contemporary elections and representative government for producing results on a timescale that will matter.

The planet is boiling and you're lobbying for "solutions" that will produce no better than an endless string of offsetting +1/64th, -1/64th measures for at least a generation before it has any impact, which, given a small miracle, might lead to offsetting 1/32nd measures.

Frankly, the environmental, economic and social impact of the Great Disruption that Climate Change has in store for us will make all of your measures and the state of government today completely irrelevant in the not-so- distant future. So you can ignore calls for more radical measures and decry more demanding approaches as "uncivilized", but the planet has news for you.

The Class, Terror and Climate Wars are indivisible and the short-term outcome will affect the planet for centuries. -WiA "When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill..." - PhilJD

by Words In Action on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 08:10:02 AM PST

•  When did climate change enter this (0+ / 0-)

discussion?  Where exactly were you when Progressive pundits and activists were dissing Gore and praising Nader?  Do you not believe that a President Gore might have made a huge difference?  Where were Progressives when Carter was mocked for suggesting we conserve energy?  Who on the Progressive side fought furiously for his reelection?

You seem to believe you're right and Kos is wrong.  there's no point in working for change.  That may be why Progressives have never become the core of the Democratic party, and maybe that's a good thing.  If you don't believe in working for change you essentially believe in forcing it on people.

by I love OCD on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:33:56 AM PST

•  Climate Change is (4+ / 0-)
          3goldens, JesseCW, MrJayTee, squarewheel

in EVERY political discussion.

Again, your questions make unproven assumptions that have little basis in fact.

It's not black and white, "(I'm) right and kos is wrong...there's no point working for change."

I worked this election cycle. Hard. But I have no illusions that that is a drop in the bucket to what needs to be done to address the real threats that we face. And I have no illusions about contemporary elections and representative government producing the change needed to avoid massive, global pain and suffering. And you're worried about potentially having to force change on a dysfunctional government in order to save the planet...? The planet and the people on it aren't worth saving unless everyone agrees how and when to do it?

by Words In Action on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:42:42 AM PST

•  Hey, the Democrats aren't dictators! (0+ / 0-)
            Obama is teaching Americans that government is supposed to work for them.
            It's a shame Americans have to be taught, being as they are too stupid to tie their own shoes, but that's the way it is.  We are truly blessed to have a president who understands that saving the world from a climate disaster is not worth doing if we're going to be rude.

Power must be used politely!

Thank heaven above our polite president understands this.  Just because you won an election doesn't give you the right to hurt anyone's feelings.

Polite/Courteous 2016!

•  Wow that didn't even try to make (0+ / 0-)

sense.  Did I hit a nerve?  Have you missed everything Obama has accomplished on climate change?  In a country of dolts?  He actually does shit rather than posturing and prancing around. Somehow I prefer that.

by I love OCD on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:26:52 PM PST

•  Clearly you have nothing. You're arguing a point (0+ / 0-)

I didn't make.

by I love OCD on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:32:06 PM PST

•  The GOP doesn't deserve to get its way. (0+ / 0-)

They have no business trying to shove austerity down our throats.

•  Just making your point, really. No one bothered (0+ / 0-)

40 years ago so we're hurting more today.  If no one bothers now we're hurting more in 40 years.  I'm not sure why that bugs you.  If it really is too late for action, pour yourself some drinks and wait for the end.

by I love OCD on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:30:34 PM PST

•  If a madman were chopping down your front door (2+ / 0-)
          3goldens, MrJayTee

would you be telling your spouse and children that it wouldn't be right to "force" him to stop?

by Words In Action on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:56:02 AM PST

•  This article by Naomi Klein was written (0+ / 0-)

over a year ago and demonstrates that at least the Republicans get that Climate Change is in every political discussion one way or another.

One has to give Republicans credit.  Since Goldwater they have played a consistent long game with star fish like pressure (when two arms get tired trying to pull open a tasty bivalve, simply switch to two not so tired arms) on the political fabric of every level of our democracy.

Democrats are starting to show an inkling of this strategy with the protection of Social Security and Medicare, but we have a long (pun intended) way to go to match the Repugs.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please" Mark Twain

by andersr on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 05:05:18 AM PST

• Climate Change (29)
  • Education (24)
  • Spam (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Science (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site