View Diary: Hunger in America:Two Inspiring Stories Plus Six Ideas You Can Try At Home (52 comments)

•  The hardest part of being poor (34+ / 0-)

is having so little to give.  All the shame, the unremitting cold, those are nothing compared to having to say no. The voles and the wicked hot summer claimed my garden last year, but I'll try it again in just a few months.  Thanks for this reminder.

Feeding New Mexico: the RoadRunner Food Bank

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:02:06 PM PST

•  I would imagine gardening in NM would be (20+ / 0-)

quite the challenge, is this right?  I wish you much luck this year.

I clicked on the link you provided there seems to be some impressive things going on there.  Love to have you join the group and write about the work being done by this food bank and the challenges facing your region.

I'll send you an invite if you are interested.

Thanks for reading.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:12:08 PM PST

•  Thanks. (4+ / 0-)
        JaxDem, hazey, Quilldriver, nomandates

I began supporting RRFB back in the late 1980s when I moved to Albuquerque.  Since I've known them and their director for so long and watched them grow from virtually nothing, they have remained my charity of choice -- until the last few years made that very difficult.  I live in MD now, so there's a bit more moisture here -- and hungry critters out here in the country.  Planting what I can in containers, but the squirrels have proven themselves able adversaries even there.

So I'm not really qualified to be a useful contributor about RRFB.  Thanks for your kind offer, nevertheless!

Thanks for taking time to read and write me.  Chapter 7 begins tomorrow, so I'm feeling a bit low just now.  I had thought about doing a series on 'surviving bankruptcy', but much of my interest in writing even about that has faded.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:57:02 AM PST

•  I'm sending this (15+ / 0-)

to Top Comments. Your first sentence moved me deeply. To be in a position to want to help while so in need yourself? I've been there too.

•  Glad you did this... (13+ / 0-)

(sent it to top comments, I mean). I've been close to "there," and the sentence moved me, too.

•  Thanks for that. (4+ / 0-)
        JaxDem, hazey, Quilldriver, nomandates

One can hope to emerge on the far side able to resume one's former life.  I never imagined this.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:00:43 AM PST

•  That would be a good title... (1+ / 0-)
          JaxDem
          I never imagined this.
          I'm not going to try to push you into posting something if you're not ready. Even if you don't publish, though, writing out your thoughts might prove more helpful than you would imagine.

{{{argomd}}}

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by nomandates on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 06:58:22 PM PST

•  Last time I did, it didn't end well (2+ / 0-)
            JaxDem, nomandates

A prominent and feted member of DK chose to reply with several comments that proved devastating to me.  Only 3 individuals -- and me -- materially objected to his comments, but in civil terms.  Several months passed before I began commenting again, in this small way.

I noted at the time something to this effect, that one never knows how what one says to another via vicious comments may be the final straw on that camel's back.  It came far too close to that for me.  And that very commenter now signs his posts with the "is it true? is it kind?..." quote.  That irony, his missing apology, and the community's subsequent embrace of him, have kept me quiet.

In any event, my life is nearly over; it is purposely simple and solitary, to avoid causing distress to anyone else.  Not sure my words would add much to this vibrant mix of wonderful souls.

If I emerge on the other side of this, perhaps I'll be stronger.

And if so, it will have been because of the very, very kind words of people like you.  If just the wrong words can be damaging, just the right words delivered at the right time can provide incredible solace.

Thank you, thank you.  Thank YOU.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:53:29 AM PST

•  {{{{{argomd}}}}}} (2+ / 0-)
              argomd, nomandates

I am so so very sorry that you've been hurt by the careless remarks of others.  So much so that you weren't strong enough to comment for months following.

I would love to have you become a member if for no other reason than to offer editorial input and advice via the group's message system.  Perhaps to provide suggested diary topics.

Your intense level of care for your fellow man shines through brightly in your words.  I wish only the best for you.

by JaxDem on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 12:32:10 PM PST

•  Someone reassured me, (2+ / 0-)
              argomd, JaxDem

when I was quite upset about the repeated and ugly attacks on Texans and Southerners at this site,

this site is big enough for it all...the crappy people and us nice people :)
              I thought about it, and decided that this person (who has been at this site far longer than I have) was absolutely correct.

For example, there was a shooting at a college in my city today, and multiple diaries have been posted at the site about it. I'm deliberately avoiding most of them because I know what some jerks will post in the comments about Texans. And I'm choosing instead to read diaries where I won't have to hear that garbage.

I don't feel much like talking this evening, argomd, but wanted to try to reply to you. The point I'm trying to make is that I hope you'll hang around with the nice people at the site and try to just ignore the others, who aren't worth depriving yourself of our awesome company ;-)

by nomandates on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:53:44 PM PST

•  Nomandates, JaxDem -- (2+ / 0-)
                JaxDem, nomandates

You make powerful, persuasive arguments based on your own humane actions.

Thank you for spending time talking to me, NM, especially on an evening filled with such sad, sad news.   The geography of a tragedy doesn't make it any easier to endure -- nor should make it into a chance for snark.

I'll have to mostly lurk for a while until my Chapter 7 is resolved.  If there is life After Bankruptcy, I'll come looking for it here.

Again, thank you so much.  Your words have given me strong shoulders to lean on.

(-7.62,-7.33) Carbon footprint 12.6 metric tons. l'Enfer, c'est les autres.

by argomd on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 12:37:21 PM PST

• Recommended (124)
  • Community (60)
  • Elections (31)
  • Media (31)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (30)
  • 2016 (29)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Josh Duggar (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site