View Diary: Drunk-driving, red-light-running senator is 'grateful to have this matter resolved' (209 comments)

•  I often drink socially, and have for many years. (6+ / 0-)

If there's even a slight chance I'm impaired, however, I don't drive. I expect most moderate drinkers observe this very same precaution.

Generally, it's safe to say, somebody who gets pulled over for drunk driving, is facing very serious personal challenges of one kind or another.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:18:49 AM PST

•  My only adult acquaintance with a DUI had (8+ / 0-)

driven many, many times with blood alcohol well above legal limits. He got caught that time because he was littering outside a MacDonald's and had the poor judgment to challenge the police officer who came over to talk to him about it.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 11:20:55 AM PST

•  I'm hoping most moderate drinkers will not (7+ / 0-)

hesitate to heed their friends or barkeeps, who might offer to take their car keys and get them a cab, when indicating it seems they may be too impaired to drive.  It's when drinkers stop being sensible and willing to concede human safety could be a concern that they are no longer 'moderate'. As someone who's been around several decades and earned the greying hair dealing with more than one such 'sensible' drinker, I'll say there's been many times I wished I could or would have intervened, and even when I tried, had always been heeded. Some of my classmates did not graduate high school, or college or graduate school, or co-workers make it to work on Monday, due to serious or deadly accidents where alcohol was involved.

A serious and potentially life-threatening problem with having judgment that's alcohol impaired is when judging one's own self to still be capable of 'good enough' driving, or more than adequate driving--regardless of having had a few.  It's not obviously 'as bad' as the drunk insisting that they have NASCAR-great judgment with superb reflexes and amazing performance, and able to out drive any trouble that might come their way, perhaps with dangerously belligerent insistence.  But the level of impairment can still lead to catastrophic accidents due to just a moment of slightly inattentive bleariness.  Impairment can affect how well one 'counts' his or her drinks, so maybe that feeling of just having had 2 or 3 is off by more than 1 drink.

There are times I wished drinking establishments were required to collect driver's licenses and car keys at the door (perhaps with a deposit toward's cab fare), and that, after drinking, the customer would have to pass an objective breath test to regain possession. That would eliminate foolish arguments about who's capable of judging who might to be impaired or 'holding their liquor'. With current technology and prices, any drinking establishment could afford an inexpensive testing device.

And if argued, I'd agree overly tired or distraught drivers should also not be driving on public streets, but we'd need come up with quick & fair tests, perhaps built into ignition systems, for these situations. As cars get smarter that may be possible.  But I would also argue that we could now, with little cost, if public will could be evoked, put into place required breathalizer testing for those who indulge in alcoholic beverages and legally make those providing beverages partly responsible for any harm done if not offering that testing and collecting keys and DLs. I'd like insurance companies to expect this done as well. In this matter, stepping on someone's liberty a bit is far better than a drunk failing to step on the brakes on time, steer correctly, or misjudge vehicle operations in a way that leads to serious damage, injury, long-term disability or fatalities.

If the good Senator was actually serious about recognizing his impaired judgment and error, and feels a true personal and public responsibility to society, and realizes how easy it would be for he or others to be in that situation again, he should feel an obligation, a duty, to press for this more rigorous sort of 'solution' and seek to reshape society's expectations.

When life gives you wingnuts, make wingnut butter!

by antirove on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 12:10:41 PM PST

•  If I was going to drink and planned on driving (1+ / 0-)
        antirove

at any time afterwards I would spend the $100 to $150 on a personal breathalyser with a fuel cell sensor (the cheap $20-$60 ones have a crappy sensor and are not reliable at all) and not drive until it showed I was completely sober.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:31:01 PM PST

•  Before the PD photo op he should have buttoned (1+ / 0-)
      karmsy

his button down collars.

Makes him look like he just got out of bed and threw on the first shirt he could find or something.

Not a good mugshot. Tho, most of them aren't.

What, sir, would the people of the earth be without woman? They would be scarce, sir, almighty scarce. Mark Twain

by Gordon20024 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 01:56:43 PM PST

•  News flash (1+ / 0-)
        karmsy

Very few people look good in their mug shots. Senator Crapo (that is just too rich a name) shouldn't have been given the opportunity to freshen up any more than anyone else arrested for drunken driving, and to the Alexandria policy's credit he was not.

•  That's why I said . . . (1+ / 0-)
          karmsy
          Not a good mugshot. Tho, most of them aren't.
          Before leaving his residence, before going out in public he should have buttoned his f'ing collars to his shirt if that was the shirt he chose to wear.

It's not like he was homeless. He's a representative of traditional american values and all that stuff. He's a living example of how every successful and empowered young republican hypocrite lives their lives.

My question is why didn't he button his f'ing collars. He's so uptight about everything everyone else does in the privacy of our homes or on public streets! Why the hell can't I demand that he at the very least button his f'ing collar before he goes out drunk driving and doing whatever with whomever?

If he's so f'ing anal that he feels the need to get into my personal business before breakfast I demand to know why he didn't button his f'ing buttons before driving drunk in public. OK?

My problem is that the self righteous, holier than thou 'christians' are constantly telling us how we're going to their hell because we don't follow their rules. When truth be know, they don't follow there rules very well, either.

Southern Baptist are the most unchristian and hateful people I've ever encountered. There's no reasoning with them. They're blind to everything but their Fabio-like 6 foot tall blue eyed savior that was so powerful he let a handful of men nail his ass to a cross and kill him, amen.

Please excuse me. I need to get out of Southburkistan for a few weeks. I've been working the recent election and foregoing my physical and mental health. I need a long walk in the woodlands. I need some clean air.

by Gordon20024 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 04:45:31 PM PST

•  He's not supposed to be a social drinker, or (6+ / 0-)

any kind of drinker at all due to his Mormon faith. This could explain his complete lack of any kind of social responsibility related to alcohol use. He just doesn't know how to behave when drinking. ;)

I'd believe this if there weren't zillions of commercials about the dangers of drinking and driving, especially around the holidays. I can't help but wonder how long he's been tippling before his drinking came to light.

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 02:35:30 PM PST

•  I don't drink (1+ / 0-)
      karmsy

when not home.

Too many relatives and friends have serious substance abuse problems (oh, the glamour of growing up in show biz!), and have really screwed their lives up from it (an old friend just got out after 40 years in prison as a result of substance abuse), and it turned me off to that when I was too young to drive.

I'm usually glad to be the designated driver (unless you're gonna puke in my car) but ... I just don't see the point of it.  When I'm out having fun I want to be at my best, and want to remember it.  And want to be able to function if need be.

I'll have a beer or 3 when it's warm out or with some kinds of food, and a glass or 3 of wine under similar circumstances, but just don't see the attraction of getting drunk.

That said, I did 10 years in the navy, left there a CPO, and still don't drink coffee.  I am unusual!

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:04:01 PM PST

•  Yeah, the only times I have been to a bar was (0+ / 0-)

to see the live shows (and the bar was a 3 hour drive each way) so the only thing I had was a couple of diet sodas (which were only a buck each).  Driving back from half past midnight to 3:30am is hard enough as it is.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:34:25 PM PST