View Diary: Is this good news on health coverage? (10 comments)

•  Having done my share of flipping burgers, it's not (0+ / 0-)

What this means is that those part time workers will have to work harder as there will be fewer of them.  It will drive down labor costs and profits up.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 08:41:39 AM PST

•  ? (1+ / 0-)
      bobtmn

I am assuming that the regulations are as simple as "an FTE is an FTE" - so it shouldn't really matter how one shifts around the hours

IF an employer is currently at say 50, 51, 52 FTE and wants to avoid the regulation, they may indeed get rid of a couple FTE - however, once an employer gets to a 'critical mass' - it is going to become a very real case of diminishing returns

Also - the regulation applies to providing 'affordable' health insurance coverage ONLY for Full Time employees -

Overall - it is 'complicated' to say the least - hopefully it will all work out, but it sure continues to look like a major cock up - single payer is still THE way to go imo

"I want to keep them alive long enough that I can win them to Christ," - Rick Warren, Professional Greed Driven Scumbag

by josephk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:21:11 AM PST

•  At first blush, I assumed this "rule" ... (0+ / 0-)

was an executive order.  It turns out that it was issued by the IRS.  A court challenge will likely reveal that the IRS lacks the power to make such a determination.  Even then, 100 employees working an average of 29.5 hours a week (or less) will not equal 50 full-time employees.  That the New York Times failed to see this is surprising.

What is the actual wording of the ACA on this issue?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 10:41:27 AM PST

•  SCOTUS determined it was a tax (0+ / 0-)

So - in terms of addressing in how it gets applied and to whom -- wouldn't that in fact be an IRS issue? ... I assume so

as for the wording of the 'actual ACA' - I haven't a friggin idea - ridiculous that they were making Bernie Sanders read the entirety of his 'medicare for all' bill on the floor ... yet somehow the ACA still remains largely a mystery - to literally everyone with even the supporters basically saying, well - we'll have to wait and see how it gets implemented ...

but - back to the point at hand - FTE is FTE - no matter how one splits it up - though, as I said, eligibility is ONLY for full time employees, so - even if an employer has over 50 FTE, yet no actual full time employees - that would be a way to do exactly as You have prescribed "Of course we comply with the law and offer all our full time employees affordable health coverage - and that amounts to exactly zero!"

by josephk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 11:04:13 AM PST

•  You realize that "offering" insurance ... (0+ / 0-)

to employees doesn't necessarily mean an employer MUST contribute to paying part of its cost?  Again, I wonder what the actual terms of the ACA are.

by Neuroptimalian on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 01:00:48 PM PST

•  I spent a decade as a line cook. (1+ / 0-)
      Wee Mama

At no point did we have a larger kitchen staff than was needed in order to scramble like crazy through the entire dinner rush.  We would have had to lose customers due to cold food or long waits in order to employ fewer people per shift.  I am pretty sure that the restaurants where I worked would not have been able to use a strategy of fewer labor hours to avoid compliance with the ACA.

Picture a bright blue ball just spinnin' spinnin' free. It's dizzy with possibility.

by lockewasright on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:32:00 AM PST