View Diary: My taxes just increased by $1400...I must be rich (79 comments)

•  Nope. Your math is off by 50%... (3+ / 0-)
    averageyoungman, Lujane, AoT

But by using your logic I guess compared to someone who's only making $20,000/yr I should be able to afford the increase.

can we all...just get...along-Rodney King

by nspguy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 11:59:31 AM PST

•  A person earning $20,000 a year will have (2+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, Chi

their taxes increased by $7.70 a week.  Can they afford it?  No.  Am I glad they're paying it?  No.  Do I think it was stupid the way this tax break was set up in the first place so that it would require the rethugs cooperation to extend it?  Yes.

That doesn't mean I'm going to have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who's making $135,000 a year (or $70,000 a year if the person is being paid bi weekly), vs $20,000 a year, losing that tax break and writing a diary in such a way as to make it seem like he's someone earning $20,000 a year and losing $52 from his take home pay.

Obama's done a poor enough job without making it seem worse than it actually is.

by gustynpip on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:10:22 PM PST

•  If you wish to infer that the (0+ / 0-)

Point of my diary is to moan about my taxes going up, that is your perogative. I would suggest you re-read the diary.

can we all...just get...along-Rodney King

by nspguy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:46:35 PM PST

•  I will admit that, regardless of the statement (1+ / 0-)
          nspguy

that you didn't object to the increase, that is the way it struck me.  My reasons were a.  You posted the amount of the increase but omitted the amount of your income, leaving the impression that your income was not significant and/or that the tax increase was a huge hit for you; and b.  if your goal was to discuss whether others would see this as a tax increase imposed by the Dems, I didn't see what your own personal increase had to do with anything.  So if you weren't complaining about it, why would you have brought it up, much less the dollar amount of it.

Nevertheless, I will chalk it up to a simple difference of style and assume it was, indeed, not a complaint.

by gustynpip on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 09:44:18 PM PST

•  It's less than 10$ a paycheck (1+ / 0-)
      JesseCW

for folks in our situation.  Which sucks, but I'd rather have that than no Social Security when I'm old enough, because I'm sure as hell not able to save for retirement, nor will I likely ever be.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:12:27 PM PST

•  That's it exactly. It's an insurance premium. (1+ / 0-)
        AoT

What we get for it is worth way more than it costs us, and unlike the insurance we're going to have to start buying shortly, there's no 15% skim for middle men.

"Furthermore, if you think this would be the very very last cut ever if we let it happen, you are a very confused little rabbit." cai

by JesseCW on Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 07:06:41 PM PST