View Diary: Birch Society Republicans: America Now Has Three Major Political Parties (425 comments)

•  There is truth to you comment, but (5+ / 0-)

We need to be realistic. In this age of big money campaigns we are lucky to have a President who is not simply a rubber stamp for the Kochs and other business interests. I think we would have had such a President if Romney had won.

Where are all the jobs, Boehner?

by Dirtandiron on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:58:40 AM PST

•  Bribery and blackmail. (2+ / 0-)
      Dirtandiron, Beetwasher

The Twin Towers, neither of which apply to Obama. Romney's tax scams and his driving that killed Leola Anderson were enough to assure a disaster of a presidency.

Getting way from major corruption is a blessing.

"We have done nothing to be ashamed of. We have nothing to apologize for." NRA 12/14/2012

by bontemps2012 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:24:03 AM PST

•  I don't believe that bribery or blackmail (0+ / 0-)

Would have applied to Romney or that it applied to W.

Big money corrupts our politics, no question, but the democrats appear to be as uninterested in addressing election reform as the pukes.

A standing army is like a standing member. It's an excellent assurance of domestic tranquility, but a dangerous temptation to foreign adventure. Elbridge Gerry - Constitutional Convention (1787)

by No Exit on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 09:14:35 AM PST

•  And isn't it amazing (4+ / 0-)
        Beetwasher, Ramoth, No Exit, bontemps2012

that as much as they have tried, as much as he's been under the microscope for the past 4 years, not one actual crime or scandal has attached itself to him? Or to the people he hired to work for him? This has to be one of the cleanest administrations in modern history.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 09:43:47 AM PST

•  For all my disappointments in him (3+ / 0-)
          Beetwasher, No Exit, bontemps2012

politically, I am beyond grateful for who he is as a person.

He appears to be aware, every moment that he is in public, of the enormous expectations that he is personally bearing, and he's doing a remarkable job of bearing them, with grace. The burden must be crushing at times.

by sidnora on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:30:51 PM PST

•  If you are disappointed, you have not (0+ / 0-)

been counting the vote lists up on Cap Hill.

ACA was damn near a parallel to passing the 13th Amendment. With more lives in the balance.

by bontemps2012 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 04:59:17 PM PST

•  I HAVE been watching closely (0+ / 0-)

and in general, I'm actually, kinda surprised that he's accomplished as much as he has, particularly when he had Pelosi running the House. And I have been labeled as one of the "cheerleader" "Obamabots" that a lot of Lefties like to beat on (not so much here at the GOS, but at other "Purer" Progressive sites). Yeah, I do support what he's done and what he's tried to do, but with clear eyes. There are things I'd like to see him do better (kicking GOP butt) and things I'd like to see him stop doing (drone warfare).
              But I figured that anyone climbing into that chair in 2009 was up against a hurricane of headwind, that no progress would be possible and that Obama would be defeated after a single disastrous term, not because of who he is but because of the situation he was handed. The day he was elected, the Onion ran a headline: "Black Guy Gets Worst Job in the World" and that wasn't snark.
              I have been a strong supporter of the ACA but that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed that it isn't Single Payer. Getting the toe in the door is a major accomplishment, considering all the people that tried and failed to get even this far, the man is almost a miracle. But even he knows that it could be better.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 06:36:54 AM PST

•  Nor Even A Plausibly Contrived Scandal (1+ / 0-)
          bontemps2012

Birterism doesn't count.

In some ways, the viciousness of the GOP is responsible, it has created a political natural selection among the Democraic ranks.  We are left with mostly those Democratic politicians who are best adapted and able to withstand the slanderous no holds barred villification that is currently practiced by the GOP.

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:00:18 PM PST

•  Evidence of evolution? (3+ / 0-)
            tardis10, bontemps2012, Beetwasher

The harsh critical environment weeds out anyone with the slightest stain or weakness or vulnerability.
            If they are a D.
            The same natural selection doesn't seem to be in play on the other side, but then, anything IOKIYAR.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:54:42 PM PST