View Diary: IAN: Good Morning, January 7, 2013! (26 comments)

•  Noddy, (9+ / 0-)

does your son have any habits that might set off her olfactory senses in an uncomfortable way ?

A different laundry detergent or bath soap or shampoo might be enough ... or if he's a fan of, say, curries or garlic or cigars ...?

A Malamute, even a very soft-tempered one who puts up with being shampooed often, produces a serious scent of dog. If she's a little less disturbed by your son in the Malamute's presence, perhaps that scent ameliorates, at least partly, the problem she's reacting to?

by BlackSheep1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 11:21:29 PM PST

•  Which suggests maybe a pheromone appeaser (8+ / 0-)

could help Xoco stay calm. Noddy, have you checked into those? Also known as a DAP - dog appeasing pheromone. They come in both spray & plug-in versions. They're a little pricey, but you can get a good deal on them through Amazon.

I use Feliway, the pootie calming pheromone, for good results with LuvLee. I use it when the neighborhood cat whom LuvLee Does Not Like comes around. If I hear that yowling from the back room, I run to the back door with my Feliway & start spraying (LuvLee's on the inside, understand). It calms her right down. I also use it to spray her carrier  before I put her in it. She stays calm all the way into the vet's office, but once she gets there & figures out where she's at, all bets are off ;)

I never knew about these modern miracles until last spring, and I thought I knew everything about cats, lol. I'm glad to have found it because it does help take the edge off the stressful life of the modern pootie. And maybe the dog version can help Xoco. It's just a thought ...

Last call! - ends Sunday night: New Year's sale! 20%off everything at my Handmade Gallery on Zibbet

by jan4insight on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 12:18:36 AM PST

•  I didn't know about them either! (8+ / 0-)

Thanks for the info.

What surprised me...about a year ago, a cat came up my fire escape begging for food.  And I had some, so I fed him.

I call him Buddy.  He has been neutered and I think he must have had a family once...and been abandoned.

Anyway, he was sick last month, so I bought a cat carrier and took him to the vet.

Wow.  He LOVES him some cat carrier.  I put an old towel in the bottom, and he went right into it.  When we got home from the vet, I left the towel there, and the cat carrier door open, on the floor next to my bed.

He sleeps there.  On purpose.  Sure, he cuddles with me, but that cat carrier is the best possible Christmas present I could have got him.

(Next up: scratching post.)

To make the argument that the media has a left- or right-wing, or a liberal or a conservative bias, is like asking if the problem with Al-Qaeda is do they use too much oil in their hummus. Al Franken

by Youffraita on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 12:55:58 AM PST

•  not just malamutes and not just dogs (6+ / 0-)

I remember a certain lady reporter whose choice in fragrances set off the amatory impulses of my ram many years ago

•  We've tried (6+ / 0-)

having him wear clothes his dog has slept on, tried the plug-in pheromones, tried putting my perfume on him (fortunately for him I like woodsy fragrances), tried scenting him with bacon.

We tried so many things, we now just accommodate her on it and never, ever leave her alone with him.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 05:22:25 AM PST

•  Okay. So now I ask the hard question: (1+ / 0-)
        chimene

could she be scenting some sort of ailment? Is his health okay?

Does Itzl ever react in a similar way to him?

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 11:59:44 AM PST

•  He's healthy (1+ / 0-)
          FloridaSNMOM

or he wouldn't last in the military.  And he's not the only child of mine in the military or that handles a variety of weapons (my ex is a gunsmith - everyone in the family handles weapons).

Itzl adores him and is delighted to see him, can't wait to lick his face and be picked up and snuggled by him.

It's just a Xoco thing.

She hates him with the strength of a dog 100 times her size.

by Noddy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 01:28:43 PM PST

•  wow. that's a puzzler, all right. (2+ / 0-)
            Noddy, FloridaSNMOM

I guess the poor little girl just has an issue. I'm sorry for both of their sakes.

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 02:22:53 PM PST

•  We've been puzzled by it (2+ / 0-)
              BlackSheep1, FloridaSNMOM

for 3 years now.

She's always slow to warm up to new people, but she's never exhibited such an intense hatred for anyone else, ever. You'd think, the more times she sees him with him never hurting er and giving her all her favorite treats, she'd eventually at least tolerate him, but she hates him more every time she sees him.

It got to the point that if I left the two of them alone together, she'd get diarrhea, and puke, and shake all her hair off, and actually lose her voice from growling and barking at him. Even if he was in a different room of the house, or just outside in the yard. The only thing that saves her sanity is being held by me.  She still growls, but not with such intensity.

So, when he's in town, I take her to work with me in case he shows up at the house when I'm not there. He has 2 sisters, his father, his grandparents, and his best friend's house to stay at, so at least he doesn't have to deal with her his whole visit!

by Noddy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 02:30:03 PM PST

• Spam (21)
  • Law (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Media (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site