View Diary: Why do we fear young Black men? (169 comments)

•  I know that the US vs THEM attitude (6+ / 0-)

is common among police officers. I wonder how the attitudes of the police vary by race (of both the officer and the other person).

•  the black and latino cops i know that work (13+ / 0-)

in plainclothes are afraid of getting shot by white cops.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:08:19 PM PST

•  You Just Got Me Thinking (4+ / 0-)

I mentioned in another comment I live in a town that is 98.7% white. Town of 5,700. All our police are white. The next "large" town near me is 60,000.

Come to think of it I literally can't recall the last time I saw a cop that wasn't white. I literally can't recall. I am sure they are around, just can't remember seeing one.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:12:18 PM PST

•  when I was young almost all the cops in NYC (5+ / 0-)
          plf515, webranding, LinSea, CocoaLove, poco

were white . the street term for them is spanish was "la jara" which comes from O'Hara ( since the perception was that all cops were Irish...which a majority were at the time)

We didn't have friendly cops on the beat - they were feared, and racist, so that's another fear group for me.

by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:16:58 PM PST

•  See I Wonder. I Mentioned In Another (4+ / 0-)

comment in the mid-90s I moved into an area in DC where I was the only white dude around. I found that as a white guy in a nice car and Brooks Brother suit, the mostly African American cops gave me wide birth. I was doing things I shouldn't have done, but they didn't seem to mind or gave me a pass. I doubt they'd do the same to somebody else if they were not white. I wonder how that works.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:20:52 PM PST

•  Yup... there's another scene to add to the list (5+ / 0-)

white men in (local) police uniforms... jumps right to the top of the list. As an adult I've had a lot more experience with state police and find them generally much more professional but city and local cops... not so much.

One of the good points of the movie "Colors" was that the cops were just another street gang... the baddest most dangerous one of all... but just another street gang.

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 12:32:49 PM PST

•  I'm white and I don't remember (1+ / 0-)
            plf515

thinking of NYC cops as friendly when I was young. I don't think I knew any when I was really young, and by the time I got into college, they were either going to bust me for pot, or get on me with a nightstick at a demo. Yes, I was afraid of them.

Nowadays I look at them, they're children, many of them. And the only cop I know personally is Latino.

by sidnora on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:46:00 PM PST

•  I think that it's very difficult for police (1+ / 0-)
      plf515

officers to do their jobs for any length of time before developing an Us vs. Them attitude.  It's an unfortunate side-effect of doing the job---they deal daily with people who are displaying the worst kinds of human behavior and/or are the victims of the same.  I know many people here on DKos have a low opinion of the police and have had bad experiences with them, but I have many family members and friends who are cops, and they are all honest, decent people doing a tough job to the best of their ability.  Unfortunately, most develop a scornful attitude toward offenders, particularly repeat offenders, even when they are trying not to do so.  I think it's a normal reaction to dealing daily with people who are drug addicts, thieves, and violent offenders (especially domestic violence).  You'd have to be a very exceptional person to be a cop and have a rosy outlook on human nature.

"Going to church does not make us Christians any more than stepping into our garage makes us a car." --Rev R. Neville

by catleigh on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 03:31:12 PM PST